3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Ok I tried baking a test model in Xnormal using a painted sphere.Xnormal just gets stuck analyzing the model and doesn't work.Maybe something wrong with the format.Dense quads works but not with colours

Model imports fine into Softimage but no colours( Softimage doesn't support importing of vertex colours)

• Advanced Member

Awesome work Andrew,

It is super responsive. I'm extrememly impressed. I think you've fixed it, but colour picking from the model with V is a must have. (Reading Beatkitano's post though, it looks like you've already implemented it)

-G

• Advanced Member

I love the vertex painting so far, it helps bring concept sketching to another level.

Requesting LWO export with vertex colors. What I've tested so far, LWO files seem to work the best to import into blender preserving the vertex colors.

• Advanced Member

Updated to 3.7.03 (Win)

Changes:

- painting over voxel models. Just switch to paint room. If you need to turn it off - use View->Show voxels in paint room

This is cool! But I don't see it in my menu. Also nothing happens when switching to voxel to paint room. No objects.

Btw I don't know if it's the expected behaviour but eraser tool makes the mesh transparent, it could become a problem if people start erasing and trying to sculpt afterward. I can already see some people complaining they can't see their meshes ;) Imho mesh shouldn't be transparent in vox room (but that also could be a nice option for certain objects 'thin clothes for instance).

This has always been there in the paint room if you paint on Layer 0. It's how you paint trandparency maps. I'm not sure if there's much use for it in voxels though.

I'm attempting to test merging to the Paint room again with the new update, with the same test model I sent to Andrew. Not much luck I'm afraid. Merging to microvertex with a 2046 texture, It's now been just under an hour and I'm still waiting. I can see that the percentage is going up, just very slowly. It's now at 63% though I'm not sure if that means much since even on a good merge it goes from 0-100% several times.

Edit: It finally finished after about an hour and a half I'm guessing and the entire paint room mesh is solid black. Though I can paint on it just fine.

• Contributor

Wow this is good stuff, I well impressed. I can confirm it bakes out to per pixel. As Phil suggests it takes a little while, But it can only get better as full paint room functionality resumes with Voxels and Optimization occurs, a bit of patience.

• Contributor

Though, and this has been that case for a little while, Things simply dont show in the Paint room. Its only after exporting a texture and reloading that its visible. The colour is there its just hidden somehow. Just check the render room.

• Reputable Contributor

Though, and this has been that case for a little while, Things simply dont show in the Paint room. Its only after exporting a texture and reloading that its visible. The colour is there its just hidden somehow. Just check the render room.

LJB, are you staying when you baked a shader or now the new polypainting to PPP that it does not show up in the paintroom till you export and reimport the texture map. I think that is what I'm reading. Strange if it is...

• Advanced Member

I'm really enjoying this new feature Andrew. Great job. I will definitely be putting it to more use.

132634774884.jpg

I was able to finish off a concept pretty painlessly using liveclay to increase the polycount in certain areas and then painting over top in the paint room.

I'll have to explore export options now. Blender supports vertex painting, would it be possible to export to Blender I wonder? Any one know how I would go about doing that?

Thanks,

G

• Advanced Member

What I like about it is the fact that you don't have to sacrifice polycount in order to start painting. I've never been a huge fan of stuff that looks like it's been normal mapped. It loses something for me. This way I can paint directly onto my hi-res sculpt. I'll have to figure out what my options are from this point on if I wanted to do some rigging and animation though. How do people get stuff out of Zbrush into Maya or other 3d programs while keeping the hi-res details? Can/will we be able to do that from 3d-Coat?

Thanks,

Gavin

• Advanced Member

I'm really enjoying this new feature Andrew. Great job. I will definitely be putting it to more use.

132634774884.jpg

I was able to finish off a concept pretty painlessly using liveclay to increase the polycount in certain areas and then painting over top in the paint room.

I'll have to explore export options now. Blender supports vertex painting, would it be possible to export to Blender I wonder? Any one know how I would go about doing that?

Thanks,

G

Great character!

I emailed a sample vertex painted LightWave object to Andrew so hopefully LWO export from 3DC to blender will be possible in the future.

• Advanced Member

Thanks 3DArtist! That would be great!

Here is some paintover work I did just now on an old sculpt.

132635096781.jpg

132635154531.jpg

I'm really going to get a lot of use out of this feature.

-G

• Contributor

Yes thats what im saying. Its random in occurrence but more often than not when merging I get this problem (it may be related to Multiple Vox layers being baked. I will test today and try and pin point the origin.

Its not present with a simple test here, but as soon as iget more complex the texture mergered texture dos not show up in paint room. I know it baked correctly as i can hide the Vox object and see the Baked texture in the render room. but all i get is a Blank texture visible in the paint room.

simple test -

post-1266-0-99874400-1326354732_thumb.pn

post-1266-0-59362100-1326354743_thumb.pn

Took 25 sec to bake colour and merge

• Advanced Member

It's like the wife who spends the last $1k of the family budget on a new treadmill.

I would suggest you get your wife to use the 1k on a PC upgrade for you. ;)

I dont want to start a flame war with you,it achieves very little .I was little taken back by you slating Andrew after he just released the best polypainting system currently available.Whether you think it is a toy or not is your opinion,I and others think otherwise.I apologise if I offended you ,maybe you could extend the same courtesy to Andrew.

Most of the above points although somewhat valid concerns can be worked around easily.Fill tool problem is easily overcome by pressing Ctrl+P and doing it in an external editor.

I think a sticky thread/section of tips tips and workarounds would be a good thing .Your recent tip about splitting up a model for autopo is superb and is going to save me a lot of time in the future.

I think that such a thread could reduce the number of posts requesting un-needed features,and it doesn't have to be for 3DCoat only ,it could be tips that use other tools in conjunction with 3DCoat.

• Contributor

I think a sticky thread/section of tips tips and workarounds would be a good thing .Your recent tip about splitting up a model for autopo is superb and is going to save me a lot of time in the future.

Excellent Idea, It will help not only iron out the bugs but also to establish workflow and pipeline that people thought at first impossible/disjointed.

after all if the developer does not realize exactly how we use the tool as artists then things will become disjointed and clumsy.

• Contributor

Interesting please forgive if this has already been mentioned but The Vox/Poly Paint goes to the Layer 0, I wonder if my display error is linked somehow to the layer hierarchy?

As on multiple occasions I have had a similar issue with Baked occlusion layer.

• Advanced Member

Excellent Idea, It will help not only iron out the bugs but also to establish workflow and pipeline that people thought at first impossible/disjointed.

after all if the developer does not realize exactly how we use the tool as artists then things will become disjointed and clumsy.

Yes. +1. Changes in workflow when new features come out. Having a sticky that says 'this is what I do when creating a cartoon model for production' and shows the workflow would really help.

• Contributor

Great job implementing paint Andrew!

Just a couple problems:

Cavity painting crashes Coat. (I sent report).

When switching to render and moving screen, anomalies occur.(see image)

Would be great to see specular painting.

Windows 7 64

GL-64

cuda 64

amd phenom 4 core

8 gig ram

geforce gtx 460

post-913-0-95519700-1326377590_thumb.jpg

post-913-0-14626000-1326377603_thumb.jpg