3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

Updated to 3.7.05 (Win)

- You will be able to import image(s) as mesh - look examples - http://www.3d-coat.com/files/ImageAsMesh.png

I replaced older logo tool with this new one, it is much more powerful. You may also access this function from File->Import->Import image as mesh

- If you will import model with texture for vertex painting color from texture will be projected on vertices.

- I made several improvements and bugfixes in pose tool.

1) Correct work of pose through all volumes with rooted child volumes. Previously only one root was selectable.

2) Possibilitty to select several control points in FreeForm mode.

3) Possibility to move only gizmo in free form multiple selection mode

- Retopo room speed optimized to work much faster in all modes up to 2x - 5x [well visible on 10-20 k retopo meshes]

- Cavity painting quality and speed improved a LOT in all paint modes. Much much better than it was. It is based on the same pronciple as cavity painting in voxels. It is based on normals divirgence instead of geometry curvature measurement.

- Baking speed and quality essentially improved especially if you want to bake displacement. If baking ray not touching surface nearby and spike appears in so way special filter will cut it out. Also you amy apply this filter manually if need. You may also enter scan depth values manually to control baking better.

- Voxel measure tool updated - now it may measure length of curves, lasso, perimeter of the section - http://bit.ly/y46LmR

- Rotation gizmo in pose tool modified a bit for ease of rotation in screen space. Rotation handlers direction will be adjusted automatically.

Many changes, so needs some testing. Thanks!

Mac+Linux expected in couple of days.

Latest beta instantly crashes for me when selecting the Logo tool in Voxel mode.

BUILD: 3.7.05(GL64) non-cuda (happens in DX mode also)

HARDWARE: AMD Radeon 5850

BUG DESCRIPTION: Instant crash upon selecting

STEPS TO REPRODUCE: Click on "Logo" to choose Logo tool. AppCrash.

If you need other specific infos, let me know what.

• Advanced Member

Also I need some help how to make compatible vertex color OBJ export and xNormal. If someone may, please direct me how to bake vertex color in xNormal. I can't bake it even when I am using hipoly mesh from ZB. I want to write letter to developer, but I can't do it until I will be able to bake at least some color in xNormal.

Ok the workflow is basically import coloured mesh into high poly mesh tab ....but on right hand side uncheck " ignore per vertex colour"

load in the low poly mesh to bake to in the low poly tab

in the baking options tab ,turn on "bake high poly vertex colors" .Set you map size and directory and click generate maps button.

You may not need to implement the coloured obj if your FBX with vertex colour works ok.I still need to test.Im doing a bake tomorrow so will let you know.

• Advanced Member

Ok, I will reupload it tomorrow. Now don't use "LOGO" but use File->Import->Import image as mesh.

It is the same.

I just did a quick test and it worked out pretty well. What do the the different paramaters do?

132942863967.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew

Ran some test with the fbx exporter and yes the vertex colours are present but the scale is way out from when I imported it into XSI.

I checked the scaling and the model I exported ,whether keep scale when importing into 3DC was on or off resulted in the model when exported being 26 times larger than the original imported model.

I tried to bake the vertex colours in xnormal but it seems that xnormal doesn't support vertex color baking on the FBX format.

So after consulting their site it seems the following file formats are supported with vertex colours

.OBJ (zbrush exported)

.PLY

.ASE

.XSI ( I tested this by exporting the fbx from 3DC into xsi and then exporting out as dotxsi ...works great.

.SBM ( xnormals plugin for exporting from Max and Maya.)

Also while I was researching I stumbled across the SDK for Xnormal http://www.xnormal.net/Developers.aspx .It might have information for exporting to .SBM or give you what you need to write a 3B importer for xnormal.

I hope this helps Andrew.

I got responce from xNormal developer. Funny, xNormal was rejecting OBJ-s with vertex color if there is no tag

# www.zbrush.com

After I inserted it there, all started to work.

So now I am inserting such text in OBJ

# The following MRGB block contains Vertex Color written by 3D-Coat

# mrgb data provided to keep compatibility with xNormal (www.xnormal.net) and ZBrush -

# www.zbrush.com

If someone has better idea how to fit

# www.zbrush.com

in OBJ file, tell me better text version :)

• Advanced Member

Playing with Import image as mesh. Top and bottom settings are pretty clear, but still trying to figure out exactly how the Basic thickness and Bump thickness work together. The Bump thickness has an effect on the Basic thickness. The effect is like a ratio of the values rather than an absolute values (if that makes sense).

post-1243-0-77510400-1329586817_thumb.jp

Updated to 3.7.05B

Changes:

- PLY export/import with vertex color. Good for color scanners and for exporting to xNormal. It is fastest way to drop mesh to xNormal.

- OBJ files with vertex color compatible with xNormal.

- restored missed control in Free form pose tool - "transform only gizmo"

- better pose selection through all volumes - works well with rooted volumes like paw with claws. Previously only one claw was selected.

- multithreading support for Hide tool and many other with rect selection

• Advanced Member
Changes:

- PLY export/import with vertex color. Good for color scanners and for exporting to xNormal. It is fastest way to drop mesh to xNormal.

Thank you for the Update!

Instead of Color-Scanner it should be Color 3D-Printers which you now support.

Off topic but useful information:

For the happy owners of a Wacom Intuos/cintiq model 4, in the preferences, ensure you put the correct number for the Brush pressure level number parameter, namely : 2047 ( ?!). This will force 3dcoat to use the full capability of your device, by default this value is 1024 level of pressure.

I just discovered that this morning after many try with the real value 2048, seing the app reseting it back to 1024 I tried that odd one, and it worked (unfortunately this setting isn't saved between session and you'll need to correct it after every restart)

With the new US beta drivers (which I HIGHLY recommend to anyone since they put back the curve adjustment which is excellent and not only in 3dcoat), 3dcoat as never been so precise regarding pressure sensitivity

:)

Super tip. This should be in the manual.

• Advanced Member

So far my initial test with 3D-Coat-V3-7-04C for the mac has brought up a strange behaviour with the default shader i.e unable to change color of the shader.

Importing the shaders folder from V3D-Coat3-7-018 resolved this issue as well as other strange shader behaviour such as blank shader preset windows.

Also

Photoshop CS5 Extended post-2166-0-04393800-1329787950_thumb.pn as well as my version of Modo 3 have an issue/ cannot import .obj exports from 3DC. They can if processed through ZBrush.

I've attached both the 3DC export of a test reduced mesh and also that of the same mesh once imported and exported out of ZBrush

compare_obj.zip

So far my initial test with 3D-Coat-V3-7-04C for the mac has brought up a strange behaviour with the default shader i.e unable to change color of the shader.

Importing the shaders folder from V3D-Coat3-7-018 resolved this issue as well as other strange shader behaviour such as blank shader preset windows.

Also

Photoshop CS5 Extended post-2166-0-04393800-1329787950_thumb.pn as well as my version of Modo 3 have an issue/ cannot import .obj exports from 3DC. They can if processed through ZBrush.

I've attached both the 3DC export of a test reduced mesh and also that of the same mesh once imported and exported out of ZBrush

compare_obj.zip

What about LWO? Any luck using that from 3DC?