3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• Advanced Member

It is neither impudence or nonsense to say that development is likely to be slower - it's just logical given...

/b

Well I still think it clearly is. Who's posting here is just a small minority of people actually using that Software.

We don't know the numbers. Only thing is that I sometimes read "Feature A or feature B added for some Medical Application

(last time it was the Voxel Layer Tool). What should People from such Industries post in this Entertainment Industry geared Forum?

They likely address Andrew directly.

• Advanced Member

Well I still think it clearly is. Who's posting here is just a small minority of people actually using that Software.

We don't know the numbers. Only thing is that I sometimes read "Feature A or feature B added for some Medical Application

(last time it was the Voxel Layer Tool). What should People from such Industries post in this Entertainment Industry geared Forum?

They likely address Andrew directly.

I am not really sure what you are saying, but it doesn't really matter - let's just leave it be as it is wasted time for both of us. I posted my comments primarily so that Andrew has feedback from his customer base and adding a data point about our priorities, not to convince other users in particular :)

• Advanced Member

Seriously, what good is it going to do, ultimately, piling on feature after feature WHEN YOU HAVE HUGE PROBLEMS ON THE DOCKET THAT NEED THAT DEVELOPMENT TIME? This is what you still do not get. I could care less about catering to a very small 3D Printing market....at least at this stage. Feed your own children, first....is my outlook on it. It was never designed to cater to your market. It won't help the application one bit if it continues to offer feature after feature, while ignoring the problems that already exist.

3D Coat needs to refine and fix the features it ALREADY HAS before taking on more fluff...I mean stuff. When I have to deal with persistent issues..longstanding issues while you get your new little, shiny toy (and ask for even more, to boot), yeah I get frustrated and speak up. Voxel Painting does absolutely N-O-T-H-I-N-G for me as a user, and I've been using the entire toolset in 3D Coat for about 4 years now.

What you don't seem to get is that you certainly won't raise Andrews interest in a change of his development route by shouting and giving him and everyone who

doesn't explicitly agree with you a bad time.

You would be surprised btw. how much I do agree that a lot of fundamental work had to get done.

I feel however, that final Implementation and cumbersome fine tuning should not be Andrews Job - it's evident that he needs to push the envelope here and then

after months of Bug-Squashing. I'm afraid you're just wasting your time and poisoning Atmosphere completely in vain.

It probably was way better to find a Programmer who sees his Job in making a fine Tool from many ingenious ideas.

• Contributor

I can appreciate a developer's interest in new challenges even perhaps where older challenges need optimizing.. For those who remember, TrueSpace was innovative for it's time but the boss had interests that seriously diverged from the bulk of users and now you can get the program for free like Bryce. I'm sure that will not be the fate of 3D Coat and all the various complaints will be resolved with the release of version 4.

• Advanced Member

But you will just keep trying to pile on more and more and more requests. Meanwhile those of us who have been waiting a long time for Andrew to get around to some problematic areas of the app, have to wait all the longer...so if I'm yelling it's you are standing on my toes, as it were.

So you are seriously implying that Andrew adds large new Features into the program only because I tell him so?

That is a good one, really.

Also, i know this is a beta feature but is there a way to auto retopo a *painted* voxel sculpt? I've just tried a couple of times and on the mac it just spins the beach ball indefinitely.

3D Coat looks pretty awesome, for the short period I've been using it in Education mode I think it's definitely worth the upgrade to Pro:) I've invested a lot of time in ZBrush but to have the power of voxel freedom / retopo and painting all in one with no pain for game character modelling is fantastic!

• Advanced Member

I've been using this app since before voxels were added and I don't really feel the same way. Andrew's approach to features has been what allowed me to continue to use the app in more and more ways. Dealing with the odd bugs and quirks has been a small price to pay for the massive amount of growth this software has seen in such a short time. I can't even complain about the lack of bug fixing really as it doesn't really seem to affect me - not in comparison to the benefits I've seen from all the new features. I feel like he has struck a great balance between growing and maintaining the software - better than almost any other application I've used. I don't think I'd want to see that change. Basically I like what he's doing and hope he continues to work this way for the life of the program.

3D Coat needs to refine and fix the features it ALREADY HAS before taking on more fluff...I mean stuff. When I have to deal with persistent issues..longstanding issues while you get your new little, shiny toy (and ask for even more, to boot), yeah I get frustrated and speak up. Voxel Painting does absolutely N-O-T-H-I-N-G for me as a user, and I've been using the entire toolset in 3D Coat for about 4 years now.

Please stop telling this idea constantly. I know this idea and I don't agree. To be honest I tired of hearing that I am doing useless things even if I am doing most of your requests but almost impossible ones [in terms of time required to do it divided by usefulness]. It is at least how it looks from my point of view. There are elementary basics of what can be called respectful conversation.

I am repeating again that voxel paint is need to be able not to redo all work if some changes was required in scene topology when all painting is done. It is very frequent situation in studios where characters should be altered by request even after they almost finished. Without voxel painting you should change model and do all painting again. There are so many reasons why is it important. Color scanning, rapid prototyping, just expressing without need of retopo and other.

Also, i know this is a beta feature but is there a way to auto retopo a *painted* voxel sculpt? I've just tried a couple of times and on the mac it just spins the beach ball indefinitely.

3D Coat looks pretty awesome, for the short period I've been using it in Education mode I think it's definitely worth the upgrade to Pro:) I've invested a lot of time in ZBrush but to have the power of voxel freedom / retopo and painting all in one with no pain for game character modelling is fantastic!

Possibly AUTOPO parameters was incorrect. Set required polycount to 3000 and Intermediate res to 180.

Autopo should work regardless on painted or not object is.

I understand where you are coming from Andrew, but my response was a reply to someone essentially stating Vertex painting in 3D Coat was/is the Holy Grail of texture painting. It frankly is not, and I showed clear examples in the application as to why. Perhaps you'll excuse me, as I've been fighting with the application all day, so frustration is at a fever pitch here.

Yes, I understand frustration if something crashes or works not as expected. We will always solve it in constructive way. If something fails I am helping quickly.

As example - I have one crazy bug in photoshop for years that is well known and is very obvious and annoying (ESC). It is 2 min to fix for developer. But no one will fix it or do some update to address it...

Hi,

I'm checking out the voxel painting feature which seems very useful to me because I think it might help my workflow by just painting the voxels and convert to per-poly painting only when I need to export a mesh to Softimage. The hope is to be able to make fairly major geometry changes without having to go through a lot of hoops to rebuild the texture for those portions of the geometry that haven't changed. One question though: does voxel painting support specular? I am having no luck getting specular painting to have any effect. I am probably doing something wrong, but I thought I'd just ask in case this feature was limited to color only. If it doesn't support specular, then I think I'll need to find another way to do what I need here.

On a related note, if anyone is familiar with a workflow that would allow me to edit the voxels of a model and while retaining previous texture work I'd appreciate a few tips, thanks. I see a few ways to bake textures in 3DC and I'm not sure which way would be best for just updating an existing voxel object where there is an old version of that object in the paint room with the texture I'd like to bake on to the new geometry.. thanks for any suggestions.

I'm not entirely sure how I fixed this but the disappearing shaders came back after messing with Edit > Preferences and then toggling either ShowBetaTools or Restore Windows (which is more probable). Anyway, thought I'd mention this if anyone else is having the same issue.

Possibly AUTOPO parameters was incorrect. Set required polycount to 3000 and Intermediate res to 180.

Just trying these settings and having the same issue, however, I just tried an auto retopo with no painting and looks like there may be a bug on the mac beta as auto retopo has stopped working altogether for me at least. I go through the dialogs then get the spinning beach ball. This is when trying any of the AUTOPO options. Anyone else having the same issue?

Attempts to switch into proxy mode creating hangs.

Hello! Regarding hangs on switching to proxy mode. I can’t reproduce that. So please specify:

1. Does it hang on default voxel sphere (just run 3D-Coat, select default voxel sphere, click on “proxy mode” icon in Vox Tree)? Or does it hang only on specific model?

2. What operation do you perform before entering “proxy mode”? Maybe some import of texture (and in what format, like “jpg”)?

3. Do you see this problem in previous builds (like 04C)?

• Advanced Member

I confirm this. On the mac build, trying to autopo for PPP crashes 3dcoat. (parameters at default -180, 3k, just a cube at 250k voxels).

Edit: Autoretopology is brocken. Any attempt crashes 3dcoat.

Please, Sergyi fix it. Completely useless MAC build.

I tried mantis but the current 3dcoat version isn't there, so

OSX 10.6.8

2xXeon 16 threads, nvidia GPU, 12GB ram, macpro.

• Advanced Member

can anyone confirm whether texture baking to a low-poly object (another model note in the scene) is

working for diffuse? (3.7.05B CUDA 64-bit windows)

I ran an occlusion on a higher res model, then tried to bake to another different low-poly model (same

placement in 3D space, just different Sub-D and UVs) and ended up with just a flat grey diffuse...

• Advanced Member

I confirm this. On the mac build, trying to autopo for PPP crashes 3dcoat. (parameters at default -180, 3k, just a cube at 250k voxels).

Edit: Autoretopology is brocken. Any attempt crashes 3dcoat.

Please, Sergyi fix it. Completely useless MAC build.

I tried mantis but the current 3dcoat version isn't there, so

OSX 10.6.8

2xXeon 16 threads, nvidia GPU, 12GB ram, macpro.

I also get a lockup on Linux...

• Advanced Member
1. Does it hang on default voxel sphere (just run 3D-Coat, select default voxel sphere, click on “proxy mode” icon in Vox Tree)? Or does it hang only on specific model?

Hi Sergyi, placing any voxel primitive in the workspace or any sculpted voxel form and attempting to enter proxy mode freezes 3DCoat

2. What operation do you perform before entering “proxy mode”? Maybe some import of texture (and in what format, like “jpg”)?.

It appears that the evident operation to create the freeze is attempting to switch from any voxel form into proxy mode at any point of the work flow.

3. Do you see this problem in previous builds (like 04C)

No, 04C does not freeze when switching to Proxy Mode

Michalis :Edit: Autoretopology is brocken. Any attempt crashes 3dcoat.

I can confirm this also

Also, but maybe not a bug - it is no longer possible to change color of the default shader in voxel mode using the color picker.

Perhaps this is a deliberate change since vertex paint i.e nothing can be given a color in the shader settings until vertex paint is applied?

2GHz Intel Core Duo

4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 9400

• Advanced Member

Thank you SERGYI, this was fast!

However:

Vertex painting turns to have a yellow-ochre tint. ??? (I can understand why but something has to be done)

Auto retopo / auto UVs / PPP (asked directly under vox layers panel has wrong UVs and this weird artifact. (where did it came from?)

Autopo, manual UVs works OK. (except the ochre tint)

See attached screen grabs. Default cube merged as vox ~1M

post-2454-0-66400700-1330285034_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member
However:

Vertex painting turns to have a yellow-ochre tint. ??? (I can understand why but something has to be done)

Auto retopo / auto UVs / PPP (asked directly under vox layers panel has wrong UVs and this weird artifact. (where did it came from?)

Autopo, manual UVs works OK. (except the ochre tint)

Hi Michalis , I can't seem to repeat this i.e to see the yellow tint discuss. All whites are coming out white with me.

I can see some odditties in the baked occlusion map however. Does selecting"To Global Space" before you start vertex painting make any difference? Is it a constant or occasional outcome?

What is the process/ method to bake vertex paint to an imported mesh or to an autoretopo without first using the automatic transfer method via autop with mv paint or for per pixel?

I've had no luck other than running the autopo method to transfer vertex paint and assume I must be doing something wrong?

Later: Ah, I see that I can transfer the vertex paint to a low poly mesh export from the vertex painted voxel if I import it into the retopo room and merge with NM but not per pixel.

Updated to 3.7.06 (Win)

Changes:

- Clone tool got major update (mv, ppp, voxels) - see how it works now - http://www.3d-coat.com/files/cloneray.png

- Unclosed meshes with color may be opened in voxel room preserving color. Merge as skin + Merge without voxelizing - http://bit.ly/Aw2WYj

- There was not enough space for new functions in VoxTree->RMB, so I made several improvements:

1) combined some items to submenus, made access to all items in VoxTree->RMB via hotkeys

2) RMB menu in all lists will be generated dynamically, so speed of interface grown and memory consumption decreased. It leads to faster moving between rooms, less UI lags.

3)UI will not flicker when dock panels will be resized, all will be resized smoothly.

- Important change: now all numeric values in sliders (like brush radius), input fields will be in same units as imported model. It is super important for real production where you need to know and operate with exact sizes.

- VoxTree->RMB in surface mode got 3 new commands:

1) Create shell. Model will be transformed into thin shell for ease of futore voxelization and preserving color.

2) Close surface holes. Important for importing models directly from scanner when you can't ensure that model is waterproof. You will be able to specify max hole size to be able to close only small holes if need.

3) Bake color there from all volumes - allows to transfer color with layers from set of volumes to the current one.