3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Michalis:

@The Candy-floss Kid

Auto UVs is broken! Try a simple cube (voxels 1M) and see.

The yellow tint is a minor issue, I can imagine what's the reason.

Ah ok, yes I see what you mean Michalis the seam placement on the cubic form does not relate it seems to the automated uv unwrap itself - there are errors present. Doing a new unwrap , updating and applying the uv-set seems to sort it out but requires that vertex paint must be recaptured.

Just using the updated Mac beta and really enjoying voxel painting and using Per Pixel AUTOPO mode to export the model for rendering, however, has anyone tried voxel painting then doing a PTEX AUTOPO and then exporting the model.

I've tried importing the exported model into modo and all I get is a scrunched up ball of polygons. Never had this issue before. Is there a setting I should be using or is there a little bug?

Just using the updated Mac beta and really enjoying voxel painting and using Per Pixel AUTOPO mode to export the model for rendering, however, has anyone tried voxel painting then doing a PTEX AUTOPO and then exporting the model.

I've tried importing the exported model into modo and all I get is a scrunched up ball of polygons. Never had this issue before. Is there a setting I should be using or is there a little bug?

Figured this one out myself, I'd made Layer 0 invisible. Just turned it back on again, then exported and everything is well once again! Looking forward to those .06 features appearing in the mac build :)

I seem to have lost my "models" tab where the brushes and masks tabs are located... Is there a simple way to find it and restore it??

It's the only tab that functions differently than the others. You need to activate the Merge tool in the voxel room to bring up the Models panel, if it was previously closed. That should get it back for you.

Win builds updated to 3.7.06A to fix crash mentioned above.

I am seek yesterday and today, some sort of flu, can't work a lot...

Take a few days off!! Have some hot soup and get rest. Hope you feel better soon. :)

• Advanced Member

It's the only tab that functions differently than the others. You need to activate the Merge tool in the voxel room to bring up the Models panel, if it was previously closed. That should get it back for you.

Silly me. I was confused. Thanks Geo. It's still there.

• Advanced Member
Have a relax, 3DC is amazing and will stay so for a few days while you get better!

So long as one can afford to, yeah. The flu is awful and the best way to convalesce is to take it easy and get lots of rest, maybe watch some good movies to take your mind off of how you're feeling. I've always been succeptible to throat infections and came close to losing my hearing from one bad case in particular. I now take much better care of myself as a result. What I've found is that taking lots of vitamin C at the very beginning helps stop things before they get out of control. I take it when there is even the slightest hint of a cold/flu coming on and that seems to stop it in its tracks. Hardly get sick at all these days. Could be annectodal evidence but its better than the alternative lol. Anyways I hope you get better soon, Andrew.

PS: Is there a good tutorial anywhere on how to take the vertex paint on a voxel sculpt and apply it to a low poly retopo mesh for export as a bitmap texture? So far I've figured out how to sculpt, then retopo, then create UV's for that, then paint textures the traditional way. I'm just stuck on projecting/baking vertex paint instead (and creating normal/displacement maps from high poly voxel to low poly retopo too, but that is a whole separate question). Thanks!

Thanks for support! Hope I will recover tomorrow. Anyway, working a bit. Done Taros's requeast - now this feature works optionally.

Thank you. Can't await the next bet update... :)

I had sent you a scene with another important issue (By mail because of NDA...)

@Farsthary: Great, he will come back soon!

Best wishes

Chris

When will the Mac version of .06 be available?

I'm really looking forward to grabbing the colour of the shaders as this feature would save me a ton of time painting as I have a group of great shaders that I've made for modelling simple characters and grabbing the colour would seem natural, rather than going to the paint room and manually trying to colour match.

I gather this is one of the features of the update?

Also, would like to mention that LiveClay is amazing! - Switching between voxels and dynamic tessellation is amazing. I rough out my shapes in voxels then switch to LC and start tweaking things around, LC seems to have a higher degree of control when trying to form things like fingers and more intricate shapes. Great stuff :) - Needs more shouting out about this feature because at the moment it seems well hidden, at least to a new user like me.

• Advanced Member

Dear Andrew, I've attached a quick video of brush response deterioration issues I've been having - particularly with the Airbrush and Build Brushes in standard voxel mode since the 3.7 updates on the Mac.

Demonstration of an observed deterioration of brush response on the Mac most notably with Airbrush and Build in standard voxel mode between 3.5 and 3.7 builds. These issues are causing issues with sculpt control - surface noise , gaps and erratic peaks.The differences are less marked in Surface mode - Liveclay continues to improve steadily through betas.

Many thanks

http://vimeo.com/37854513

• Advanced Member
You might try setting the spacing down to about 10. I've gotten better performance with these settings.

???

Is this a reply Greg ?

Well, I don't have such an issue under OSX 10.6.8 nVidia GPU.

Brush's behavior is very smooth.

• Advanced Member

You might try setting the spacing down to about 10. I've gotten better performance with these settings.

Many thanks Greg , yes I had tried this but sadly it didn't really improve matters - only slightly. My apologies I should have stated what steps I had taken to try and resolve matters.

@ Michalis , thanks for confirming you are running smoother than butter. Sadly there is fluff in my butter.

Trying to think what else I could try - delete etc by way of troubleshooting this. My initial steps as stated in the video - a clean install with all new prefs. Hmm. Scratches head.

NVIDIA GeForce 9400

Dear Andrew, I've attached a quick video of brush response deterioration issues I've been having - particularly with the Airbrush and Build Brushes in standard voxel mode since the 3.7 updates on the Mac.

Demonstration of an observed deterioration of brush response on the Mac most notably with Airbrush and Build in standard voxel mode between 3.5 and 3.7 builds. These issues are causing issues with sculpt control - surface noise , gaps and erratic peaks.The differences are less marked in Surface mode - Liveclay continues to improve steadily through betas.

Many thanks

http://vimeo.com/37854513

Ok, I may confirm it. Thanks for reporting!

I will discover the reason.