3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• Advanced Member

hi Sergy

i just upgrade one of my macs to lion and notice that 3dcoat cant import a model for PixelPainting!

thats with v 3.7

could you tell me if Lion is already supported?

thanks

hi again

i love this software but aside from my ugly face i need some feedback

could you tell me if Lion is already supported?

There is no any reason why 3D-Coat should not support Lion :-D Please try this test executable.

http://www.3d-coat.com/~sergyi/3D-Coat-10.6.zip

It has been compiled against the latest SDK. But frankly speaking I think that the reason is within another video driver,

which, most probably, was also updated during system update.

Maybe it doesn't support big textures like 8K and above? Have you tried 4K, 2K?

What exactly do you see during import for PPP: crash, flickerings. hang over?

• Advanced Member
Please specify step by step how did you get those UVs. Because Voxels/Merge/Cube.obj/~1M/AUTOPO/AUTOPO for Per Pixel works fine.

Right, it works. Now, let's voxel paint, it works again. Let's do some resampling, now it's broken.

Of course I cleaned all rooms before testing. IM cube or 250K doesn't change anything.

I can't confirm if it's the resampling that causes it. It looks a rather random behavior. It happens every 3-4 tests.

• Advanced Member

Updated to 3.7.06C to fix brushing problem mentioned above.

Upcoming Mac&Linux builds will include this change too.

Whatever changed in this last build, had a noticable difference on my system startup. Pre= Launch 3dc and wait 6 seconds for "Show on startup" screen. Select large Voxel sphere and wait 8-10 seconds. Post= Immediate "show on startup screen" upon launch. 1 second wait on large voxel sphere selection... FYI.

Dual quad core xeon. Nvidia quadro fx 5600. 8 gb ram.

I do believe that is part of the advantage of using poly painting. You can do that kind of editing. Mind you, it will mess it up a little bit, but it makes it easier to tweak after the fact. This happens a lot in game development.

EDIT: This happens a lot, as in, editing after the fact it has been finished.

• Advanced Member

Whatever changed in this last build, had a noticable difference on my system startup. Pre= Launch 3dc and wait 6 seconds for "Show on startup" screen. Select large Voxel sphere and wait 8-10 seconds. Post= Immediate "show on startup screen" upon launch. 1 second wait on large voxel sphere selection... FYI.

Dual quad core xeon. Nvidia quadro fx 5600. 8 gb ram.

I have had the same problem for a while in the 3.7.x.x series I just put it down to my machine specs,I get about 10 seconds of white screen on startup

and about 6 seconds wait after selecting a voxel primitive,most annoying.

• Advanced Member
Why do you chance messing with Resampling after Voxel Painting? It's like screwing with a mesh after you've spent hours doing UV's and texture painting. There is a reason why you do those AFTER you've finished modeling.

I'm just testing Abn.

I thought this painting was messing things in 3dc. It's not what causes the problem, I think so.

Just merge a cube, ask for autopo with PPP and everything works fine. Clean all rooms, resample the cube, try again and face a possible issue in UVs.

BTW, to resample a vertex-painted object isn't a good idea, indeed.

However, vertex painting is rather a fast way to start and can be helpful when painting on it after baking (PPP)

Edit:

1. Confirming what The Candy-floss Kid reported on the OSX version (under 10.6.8 )

2. Resampling has nothing to do with what I already reported. The bug is random. Just used a ~200k cube and happened again. Depends on the resolution value? How can I check this?

• Advanced Member

For attention of Andrew,

Feedback report concerning non editable retopo mesh after an autopo in 3DC Beta V3.7.06B version for the Mac.

Also apparent , an issue with the Retopo mesh being buried.

http://vimeo.com/38075657

OS 10.5.8

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.7.06B Also: wish to report that edges and verts are not showing in manual retopo .

See attached image below.

post-2166-0-59548000-1331127578_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

I have had the same problem for a while in the 3.7.x.x series I just put it down to my machine specs,I get about 10 seconds of white screen on startup

The only other thing would be vid driver update.. A new driver was also recently released for my card, which got changed in this last week also.... I'm on ver. 295.73

FYI

• Advanced Member

The only other thing would be vid driver update.. A new driver was also recently released for my card, which got changed in this last week also.... I'm on ver. 295.73

FYI

I have been using 295.73 since its release Feb 21st

Btw from the lack of responses it would appear that it does'nt affect Macs.

Same here on MacOS X 10.7.3

• Advanced Member
JimB, on 07 March 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

I have been using 295.73 since its release Feb 21st

Btw from the lack of responses it would appear that it does'nt affect Macs.

Some start up flickering has always been part of the Mac release but for no more than about one second I am thankful to report.

But tell me because I am unclear? After the 6 seconds lag on pulling out the voxel primitive does all run smoothly henceforth?

For me the glitchy start up elicits concern , sometimes alarm yet thankfully to date, not harm. It is to user expectation the equivalent of the curtain that pulls back jerkily before the movie starts and for conveying certainty it would be cosmetic but nonetheless pleasing to see it improved.

In a similar vein I would prefer to see a progress bar on operations not a spinning beach ball. Beaches for mac users have become places of trauma where spinning beach balls are psychologically associated with peril , doom and disaster. When 3DCoat goes into to operation and the spinning beach ball starts I grip my seat until the lights come back on and it is safe for the angels to leave my side.

• Advanced Member

I just sent this crash report :-

I started 3.7.06C(CUDA)(DX64)

I then started Windows task manager to check on processor usage,that is when 3.7.06C(CUDA)(DX64) crashed.

Windows also produced this message box

post-536-0-83945100-1331188438_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Make sure you launch it as administrator (compatibility option in properties of the executable) and if that doesn't work I suggest you to reinstall your video drivers (or update them if you're not up to speed).

Thanks BeatKitano,

I dealt with the UAC around ten seconds after installing Windows 7 for the first time it is no longer a problem :)

Compatibility tried that makes no difference.

I have been running the latest nVidia drivers (295.73) since thier release 21/02/2012

The only thing I can think of is that the delay is caused by a serial number check?

I seem to remember that there was a file we could delete to help solve problems ..trouble is I cant remember

what it was ... anyone remember?

Thanks

• Advanced Member

I just sent this crash report :-

I started 3.7.06C(CUDA)(DX64)

I then started Windows task manager to check on processor usage,that is when 3.7.06C(CUDA)(DX64) crashed.

Windows also produced this message box

Hey Jim,

Running the same driver as you.... Somethimg for me, but has been around for a bit, is if I put the cursor down to the taskbar (I have autohide on my taskbar set on), and then move the cursor from the taskbar to the 3dc area, my 3dc interface does a hop-skip-andajump... I havnt figured out if it's the "popup/rollover" code from 3dc, or some other tie-in... Anyway, maybe you were launchiing your taskmanager with the right clcik on the taskbar??

• Advanced Member

There is no any reason why 3D-Coat should not support Lion :-D Please try this test executable.

http://www.3d-coat.c...D-Coat-10.6.zip

It has been compiled against the latest SDK. But frankly speaking I think that the reason is within another video driver,

which, most probably, was also updated during system update.

Maybe it doesn't support big textures like 8K and above? Have you tried 4K, 2K?

What exactly do you see during import for PPP: crash, flickerings. hang over?

hi Sergy

dont understand this build number,its 10.6(snow)shouldnt be 10.7?whats diferent from last build?

-during PPP import the program stop work ,dont present window for import settings and i quit

ill try this build in lion later

thanks

In a similar vein I would prefer to see a progress bar on operations not a spinning beach ball. Beaches for mac users have become places of trauma where spinning beach balls are psychologically associated with peril , doom and disaster. When 3DCoat goes into to operation and the spinning beach ball starts I grip my seat until the lights come back on and it is safe for the angels to leave my side.

I have to agree with this, a progress bar would be nice for those operations in 3dcoat that cause the program to become unresponsive until completion. I'm using Windows so there isn't even a spinning beach ball, just a blind wait until the number crunching is done.

• Like 1