3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Thanks BeatKitano,

I dealt with the UAC around ten seconds after installing Windows 7 for the first time it is no longer a problem :)

Compatibility tried that makes no difference.

I have been running the latest nVidia drivers (295.73) since thier release 21/02/2012

The only thing I can think of is that the delay is caused by a serial number check?

I seem to remember that there was a file we could delete to help solve problems ..trouble is I cant remember

what it was ... anyone remember?

Thanks

Was it "Options.xml" in the "Documents/3D-CoatV3" folder?

Updated to 3.7.07 (win)

- Voxel LC tools may be duplicated by RMB click. You may customize new tool in own way and share new brush. In so way you may create for example variation of GeneralBrush and store/share it.

- much faster initial loading

- Sketch tool got improvement. Now it is possible to assign images as top and bottom stencils and set tapering angle (positive and negative). Examples - http://bit.ly/xv0491 http://bit.ly/yTHhh9 . It works as advanced loft tool that may join contours of different topology.

- fixed several UI glitches.

- fixed problem http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=486#c1396

Also removeclay does indeed removeclay:

I also got a crash (but no report form !) after trying to delete a liveclay brush I just duplicated.

I found and fixed crash. But I can't reproduce smoothing problem.

Removelay is still not ready, I forgot to exclude it. It is intended for global removal of details, will work like hypersmoorh to get clean smoothed surface even if there was many details and even holes.

whats diferent from last build?

during PPP import the program stop work

The difference is that regular builds are compiled against older SDK 10.5, because there were some requests to include Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard support. When you click File/Import/Model for per pixel painting do you see file selection dialog? Does 3D-Coat stop responding after selecting model file and closing file dialog?

• Advanced Member

I docked my UV preview window on the left and noticed while clicking on UV islands that my clicks were going through the window and onto the mesh behind it. This results in marking seams you don't want marked, often without realizing it's happened. Doesn't seem to be an issue with Add clusters and Edge loops modes, just Mark seams.

Also is there a way to keep 3D Coat from destroying my smoothing groups? I bought a mesh over in OBJ format so I could do the UV's and discovered after finishing and exporting back to the originating app that my smoothing groups were gone. I asked about this in the new user area but never got an answer. They were time consuming to set up in the first place, and took just as long to redo them. On top of that I may need to send my mesh back to 3D Coat for more UV work. If there is something I'm missing or some trick to it, please let me know.

• Advanced Member

@Sergy

using last build(6b)in lion:it allows to chose mesh in window and then stops (now it flickers)so no new window for import settings.

note:it allows PPP import through the launch window.

your build 10.6 dont work at all in snow or lion

-it shows a crazy frozen window with items from 3dcoat interface and or desktop or whatever.does it work for you?how can it be?

cheers

• Advanced Member

What should happen is that a second list should show next to the first, when the first list reaches the boundary of the Viewport.

Or a means to have a persistent dialogue. Like a modifier key click. With possibly a higher power of management tools and buttons avaiable. Like an "advanced" one.

I docked my UV preview window on the left and noticed while clicking on UV islands that my clicks were going through the window and onto the mesh behind it. This results in marking seams you don't want marked, often without realizing it's happened. Doesn't seem to be an issue with Add clusters and Edge loops modes, just Mark seams.

I agree. Very annoying problem. Same thing happens when you click the Retopo menu...the dropdown list is so long that when you choose an option that is over an object or UV island, it will select through the menu.

Can't reproduce any of that problems even if tried a lot. Maybe short video will help a lot.

Also is there a way to keep 3D Coat from destroying my smoothing groups? I bought a mesh over in OBJ format so I could do the UV's and discovered after finishing and exporting back to the originating app that my smoothing groups were gone. I asked about this in the new user area but never got an answer. They were time consuming to set up in the first place, and took just as long to redo them. On top of that I may need to send my mesh back to 3D Coat for more UV work. If there is something I'm missing or some trick to it, please let me know.

If you exporting from some 3D package you should export OBJ file with normal. 3DC uses normals to detect smoothing groups.

using last build(6b)in lion:it allows to chose mesh in window and then stops (now it flickers) so no new window for import settings

The dialog "Import object for per pixel painting" has an edit box "UV-set name". Please try to click on screen to find that edit box. It seems like the dialog exists, but is invisible.

note:it allows PPP import through the launch window

Ok

your build 10.6 dont work at all in snow or lion

Please copy the executable to the folder with 3D-Coat data files.

• Advanced Member

Please copy the executable to the folder with 3D-Coat data files.

hi

do you mean i drag it into 3dcoat aplication folder?sounds good!and what about the original 3dcoat that was there?do i keep it there or do i move it out?i tried it now into 6B build and when i open 10.6 its named 6B!please advise,im getting closer!

thanks

• Advanced Member

any way no luck with lion,with 10.6 build inside aplication folder,for importing PPP.no window settings,clicking on screen!

please confirm its OK two builds on same aplication folder.

thanks for your help

(i would drop leopard support and concentrate on more recent OSX as it pays in the long term .i think!)

Feedback report concerning non editable retopo mesh after an autopo in 3DC Beta V3.7.06B version for the Mac.

The issue should be fixed in the latest build 3D-Coat 3-7-07A. Thanks a lot for the detailed report and the comparison between versions!

please confirm its OK two builds on same aplication folder

i would drop leopard support and concentrate on more recent OSX

It’s ok as long as the executable names are different (and they are).

I’ll install Lion. Let’s hope that the issue will manifest itself.

• Advanced Member

Andrew and SERGYI,

It appears that there is an accuracy issue with painting with the pose tool across symmetry in v3.7 versions. After such an operation Menu bar>voxels >Symm Copy will highlight the inaccuracy as shown in this demo.

The Freeze tool mask has no such inaccuracy but there does seem to be an issue when switching from Freeze to Pose mode. The selection must be inverted first then inverted back before the pose tool functions correctly in this scenario.

http://vimeo.com/38434511

Mac: 10.5.8

Temporary upload whilst in investigation of this issue.

• Advanced Member

Can't reproduce any of that problems even if tried a lot. Maybe short video will help a lot.

I can't get it to happen with 3.7.07 and I've tried everything I could think of. It happened often with 3.7.06 though. So either it requires a specific set of circumstances in order to happen, or recent code changes to the UI have fixed it somehow. I can still select islands in the UV preview window by clicking through overlapping drop down menus though, which is the issue AbnRanger posted.

If you exporting from some 3D package you should export OBJ file with normal. 3DC uses normals to detect smoothing groups.

That is exactly what I've been doing.

3ds export settings:

post-9206-0-88913300-1331705419_thumb.jp

3dc import settings:

post-9206-0-65025200-1331705442_thumb.jp

3ds import settings:

post-9206-0-49672900-1331705464_thumb.jp

When I choose the "Export UV" option (as OBJ) in 3D Coat (which has no export options related to this), it takes all of my polygons and adds them to smoothing group #1 while deleting #2, #3, and #4. I know for a fact 3D Coat is seeing all four of my smoothing groups on import because if I turn the "Smooth object" toggle on and keep the "Ignore smoothing groups" and "Auto smoothing groups" import options off, my mesh looks exactly how it does in Max with it's turbosmooth modifier (which is set to separate by smoothing groups, something I use very often). As an aside, an OBJ imported into 3D Coat with those particular settings ends up with slightly altered geometry due to the smoothing it's applying. These alterations then get exported by 3D Coat which is another reason why I've been importing my OBJ's with all of 3DC's smoothing options turned off, the original reason being an attempt to stop 3D Coat from destroying my smoothing groups.

Another interesting quirk I just discovered in the UV room is when using a custom texture. If I alter the texture in the paint room and resave it, 3D Coat won't reload the file for display when chosen. The workaround is to change the file name of the texture upon each save and then load that new image file into the UV room checker. Kind of annoying but not really a big deal. I only discovered this because I was trying to fix some distortion.

• Advanced Member

Have been away for a while for work & haven't had any time to spare :( . Just been using the latest build &

REALLY noticing a fantastic improvement in performance when merging voxel layers. :D Awesome work everybody. :D

Just been using the latest 07 mac beta and is it just me but the UV's seem terrible on export... the low poly UV's don't seem to match up at all on export and the mid polys do match up but the normal map creates horrible seems.

Not sure if this is a bug but I hadn't noticed such behaviour before and makes exporting paint on a low poly for animation really difficult, not sure if you can export properly at the moment?

• Advanced Member

@cl-apps

And 3dcoat developers

Indeed there's a major bug here.

Latest build is another useless beta.

3.7.01b was the last usable build for mac users.

You're doing something very very wrong. You probably know better than me.

Please!!! Give us a decent build. Test it first.

Because I'm convinced that you didn't test it before uploading!!!

Exactly so, this is my opinion, Andrew. Or, try to explain it better.

Here a fast test, autopo, manually unwrapped. Looks OK in 3dcoat but see the import in blender. Tried obj and lwo format.

I even tried modo, zbrush, same results. The exporter of 3dc is broken. You didn't test it, did you?

post-2454-0-20973100-1331920288_thumb.jp

Hopefully now they are aware of these export issues they can be cleared up as all the new features are great and 3d-coat is looking better each week but i'm going to have to go back to the stable release in the mean time because I really need reliable UV's and Normal maps for rendering in modo.

Come on michalis, you're just being rude now. Please give them the benefit of the doubt, as you know they are a small team and cannot test every aspect of every build released.

• Advanced Member

IMO it's this OSX 10.5 compatibility that messes everything

Were that true Michalis we would not be so consistently confirming each other's issues.

It would be marvelous if you could post narrated or annotated videos of the issues so the team can see immediately and with greater clarity what needs fixed?

Your deep user knowledge and exactness will help shape events far quicker I am sure .

It strikes me that written/ verbal descriptions of issues are far harder to realize in the minds of busy people than a concise video demonstration.

Shout and stamp your feet by all means - it will add a little spice to the videos :-) Things would be dull without your spirit. The oyster needs it's grit to create the pearl.

@cl-apps

And 3dcoat developers

Indeed there's a major bug here.

Latest build is another useless beta.

3.7.01b was the last usable build for mac users.

You're doing something very very wrong. You probably know better than me.

Please!!! Give us a decent build. Test it first.

Because I'm convinced that you didn't test it before uploading!!!

Exactly so, this is my opinion, Andrew. Or, try to explain it better.

Here a fast test, autopo, manually unwrapped. Looks OK in 3dcoat but see the import in blender. Tried obj and lwo format.

I even tried modo, zbrush, same results. The exporter of 3dc is broken. You didn't test it, did you?

Thanks for kind words :( As always...

We have no dedicated peoples who test mac or win builds. We do some simple overall tests of new features, but in 95% cases all works on Mac in same way as in windows. Most reported mac bugs present in Win version too (but not all). And of course if we will test all features builds will come once or twice in year. We expect some help from users who interested in help. Othervice all our development system will just fail.

The problem with Mac bug reporting is very simple.

You report bug. We are trying to reproduce. All works as expected on our side. We can't fix bug.

So I recommend you to send 3B bile with problem to sergyi. In so way reproducability will be much better.

For example AbnRanger may be a bit not so kind in some cases. BUT he ALWAYS provide detailed info how to reproduce problem - he immediately sends all info - files and other. So bugs reported by him are fixed almost immediately.

So - hellp us to help you. Our huge desire is to make all work very well.

• Advanced Member
Thanks for kind words :( As always...

Not so kind words Andrew, agreed.

Some other Mac Users report similar issues though, have a look.

Anyway, I'm the bad guy here, the only one with 57 "like this", some artwork in 3dc gallery and a low 3* reputation.

It's OK. My fault if you like. :)

One for sure, I lost all my belief in 3dcoat and I use alternative software wherever is possible.

The main reason?

This GL use of 3dcoat almost burns my GPU, ventilation works as hell. Having a ~3K obj only, trying to paint a 2k texture!!!

The same time, blender (GL as well), respects my hardware with a superior performance. (64 bit for OSX10.6-10.7 builds). So, I choose this for manual retpology and UVs. It has simpler and better tools for the job.

Sculptris (another GL app) is fine, being able to work at its limits (~2M) with great performance. Low temp on GPU as possible.

Zbrush doesn't make use of GPU at all but gives me all the performance and the tools I like.

Back in topic now:

You can try this 3b file- just two joined smoothed cubes.

http://dl.dropbox.co...MACBuild.3b.zip

Here, what exported. Didn't include texture, it's a bit stretched as expected.

http://dl.dropbox.co...24090090/tt.Obj

http://dl.dropbox.co...24090090/tt.mtl

More complicated meshes produce even worse results with overlapping vertices. All the time.

BTW 3dc 3.7.01b is the last that works for me.