3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• Advanced Member
That looks like it did the job. B) Works reliably and predictably in PPP, Microvert, AND reference mesh now, Thanks a lot, Andrew.

+1 ... I installed the files and concur. Small but annoying problem fixed.

Is the curve tool working for other people? I am not very familiar with the tool but I am finding that the "apply" button for the voxel room Curves tool isn't creating voxels in the current version. I could be doing something fundamentally wrong though, I haven't used the curve tool much at all.

PS. If anyone has a moment to help me with a couple newbie questions regarding curves, I made a thread here - thanks.

Just a reminder:

We have no way to determine whether reported problems are happening with the latest beta version, or an earlier version that you might be using. That is why we keep having to ask the question, "Are you using the latest beta version?" We do get tired of asking this.

3D-Coat is being updated, often times, weekly or 2 times per month - and Andrew is always fixing things that get broken in the process. So, if you are having problems, the first step to solving them is to try the latest beta version.

Then, if your problems persist, we actually need to know your particular system specifications in order to isolate the nature of these problems.

I have never witnessed the development of any software product where such attentiveness is exercised so frequently. Let us all try to help Andrew by giving him the most information we can.

Thanks,

Greg Smith

Hi,

I'm using 3.7.08B on a mac, and I recently upgraded to Lion (10.7.3). Now I can no longer import files for ppp, autotopo, etc. When I try to, 3D Coat appears to hang. On the off chance there was some hidden dialog I wasn't seeing, I hit cmd-~, and up popped a dialog titled 'Frame Log'. It had a black text window (empty), with buttons along the bottom--Debug, Ignore, Ignore Always, Copy, and Exit. Only the 'Copy' button is active.

Closing the dialog (red x upper left corner) makes no difference. A new one pops up, and I still can't use 3D Coat. Any idea what the problem is? When might we see a working build for Lion? Thanks.

Kevin

• Advanced Member

Please will any1 check if reference mesh / big mesh is working ?

Maybe im doing something wrong when import the objs

They both work fine for me (3.7.10A). Perhaps if you describe the steps you're doing, someone will be better equipped to help you with your problem.

• Advanced Member

Awesome to see Andrew is working on new UV tools! The UV room is already really useful, but path selection has always been time consuming so really glad to see this.

Hi,

I'm using 3.7.08B on a mac, and I recently upgraded to Lion (10.7.3). Now I can no longer import files for ppp, autotopo, etc. When I try to, 3D Coat appears to hang. On the off chance there was some hidden dialog I wasn't seeing, I hit cmd-~, and up popped a dialog titled 'Frame Log'. It had a black text window (empty), with buttons along the bottom--Debug, Ignore, Ignore Always, Copy, and Exit. Only the 'Copy' button is active.

Closing the dialog (red x upper left corner) makes no difference. A new one pops up, and I still can't use 3D Coat. Any idea what the problem is? When might we see a working build for Lion? Thanks.

Kevin

Please write to support.linux@3d-coat.com - he will help.

Hi

ty !

Please re-download and re-install 3.7.10A

• Reputable Contributor

Hi

ty !

Please re-download and re-install 3.7.10A

I will re- download and test again as this version 3.7.10A did have some problems creating a good displacement map with the method mentioned.

uvmapped low polygon merged into paint room using microvertex method

Import Big Mesh (same uv map) to create a displacement map.

I will test again and if can reproduce, will post mantis bug report.

• Reputable Contributor

I will re- download and test again as this version 3.7.10A did have some problems creating a good displacement map with the method mentioned.

uvmapped low polygon merged into paint room using microvertex method

Import Big Mesh (same uv map) to create a displacement map.

I will test again and if can reproduce, will post mantis bug report.

Tested again, confirmed some problems with the above method plus discovered a few other baking problems as well...

Bug report coming soon....

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for all the great improvements in 3DCoat, I do like ghost mode...

This bug is in the Linux version 3.7.10A 64 bit non-cuda as well.

Mantis bug report number: 0000505

I also have been getting a number of random crashes in surface mode but thought I wait till I got the new updated versions to see if they are still

happening and then report them...

Updated to 3.7.11 (Win)

- I improved algorithm of brushing to make strokes more smooth and even. Need feedback there.

- Merge/pose tools tweaked in order to work more consistently with objects scale and gizmo placement.

- New UV path tool got really powerful options - multiple middle points, path building criterium - bit.ly/IJXmFf

- Also it will me possible to mark seams in dependence on crease angle - it is easy way to map hardsurface objects.

- pressure dependence and picker issue resolved.

- Mud brushes got noise degree slider.

Need fedback regarding brushing (tell exactly brush name if something wrong) - a lot of changes there.

• Contributor

I tested 3.7.11 CUDA DX64. I use Wacom Cintiq 12WX tablet to sculpt.

In voxel mode: Grow brush working very well. Excellent results!

In surface mode: ExtrudeClay also working excellent! Works practically identical to Grow brush in voxel mode. Also GeneralBrush default settings works well, but not excellent.

All other brushes in both modes still have strange bumpy behavior. Perhaps worse behavior than previous versions.

• Applink Developer

Now a little indication: the bump aspect is greatly diminished with some brushes if you're using a mouse, I suspect many users here using tablet having more issue due to the fact the sampling in 3dcoat is not tablet friendly.

Deactivate pressure depth and you've got much cleaner edges.

Confirmed that dotting is quite bad when using tablet. Using mouse the results were much better. I tested it with default sphere that was resampled to 4mil triangles.

• Contributor

Brushing is dramatically more laggy on my side in 3.7.11 compared to 3.7.10A when using SF Clay for example.(DXCuda64)

My impression about the whole step/dotting/bump issue is that I think problem is not in brushes behavior but in brushes performance..

I mean I think that its the performance that is interrupting the behavior,if you understand what I mean.

I think the brushes are trigerring too much operations,especially when pen pressure is activated,you need to find a way to simplify operations while keeping effects(even if its probably very hard to find ways to do it)

...again,it is just an impression,maybe it is brush behavior that is wrong but I don't think so.

Sorry,I cant make decent testing Im really,really busy those days.

(btw LC brushes are missing Invert tool action checkbox)

Congratulation on all latest improvements (color spec,emissive and the great new Uv seams marking tools)

• Reputable Contributor

I have not tested yet but I have noticed a bug in the brush settings.

Paint with dabs is supposed to be used in conjunction with spacing.

You select paint with dabs, then set your spacing (10%) but when you move your cursor over the object paint with dabs becomes deselected.

This has been happening in the last few beta versions I know of. Whether this effects the brush strokes, I do not know...

I was going to post a bug report but since Andrew is working on the brush strokes, I thought I put it here...

Edit:

Same bug exist in 3.7.11

Did a little testing with a wacom tablet...

Agree with the above statements, the dot effect is worse and your strokes skip if you brush a faster stroke. This problem reminds me of the dab effect you would get in some 2D paint programs years ago. If you brushed quickly it would leave a trail of circles. In 3DCoat we get that bumpy effect...

post-518-0-60207400-1336226681_thumb.png

• Reputable Contributor

Brushing is dramatically more laggy on my side in 3.7.11 compared to 3.7.10A when using SF Clay for example.(DXCuda64)

My impression about the whole step/dotting/bump issue is that I think problem is not in brushes behavior but in brushes performance..

I mean I think that its the performance that is interrupting the behavior,if you understand what I mean.

I think the brushes are trigerring too much operations,especially when pen pressure is activated,you need to find a way to simplify operations while keeping effects(even if its probably very hard to find ways to do it)

...again,it is just an impression,maybe it is brush behavior that is wrong but I don't think so.

Sorry,I cant make decent testing Im really,really busy those days.

(btw LC brushes are missing Invert tool action checkbox)

Congratulation on all latest improvements (color spec,emissive and the great new Uv seams marking tools)

"especially when pen pressure is activated" This is very true. The first brush which is both depth and radius produces the worse dotting/bump effect. Two operations going on here. If you use the second brush in the e-panel as it only effects depth and not radius your brush strokes are a lot smoother. So maybe a link between how 3DCoat reads the tablet's pen pressure in laying down the dabs with more than one operation being involved. Only a thought...

Anyway, thanks Andrew for working on making brush strokes better...

Please please tell name of brush when you are telling about problem. There iis list of brushes that should become better:

in surface mode:

Draw

Flattern

Clay

Mud

Mud2

Live Clay

Extrude Clay

Tube Clay

On my tests that brushes has become very accurate and even in comparison to bumpy previous ones. I can't believe that things got worse for that brushes. But possibly I missed something with other brushes.

The essence of change is that spacing is now very even there and all intermediate points are snapped to the surface. Intersection of the brush with edge improved too.

I will work over other brushes too. If you found problem with brush just tell name of brush and provide video or screenshot or description.

They both work fine for me (3.7.10A). Perhaps if you describe the steps you're doing, someone will be better equipped to help you with your problem.

Big Mesh. Import a large mesh (up to 16 M). This function requires two meshes; a low-poly reference mesh and a high poly mesh. Both should have the same non overlapped UVset. First import the low-poly mesh into scene using the usual import dialog, then load the high poly mesh using this option.

testing 3.7.11 and still nothing, ty any help

im importing in paint room trying ppp or microvertex.

//edit

voxel room primitive sphere

switch to surface and brush using liveclay and draw

increase resolution, the painted surface using liveclay dissapear

3dc crash