Andrew Shpagin

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

1,787 posts in this topic

I was just testing and noticed none of the LC tools are affected by freeze masking (except Inflate sort of). I assume this is in the works as well.

I'm starting to lose faith in liveclay. I don't want to go all negative but I get mesh explosion on my past meshes all too often to even consider it more than a toy. What should be the new step in digital sculpting looks like a poor crippled child. Legacyfix doesn't help at all, and I'm still wondering if close holes even do something except making double of surface and projecting vertices insides the infinite guts of the model. The remarkable work of Raul on smart decimate also get lost into this as liveclay doesn't work, why would I need to smarty decimate my model since I've to use only removestretching and his uniform remeshing because of liveclay issues?

That would be fine if this was due to file corruption but I'm sure I can make this happen on a new sculpt entirely in 3.7.01 after a while.

I may sound harsh but I'm not angry, just pretty sad actually and with what I've seen in the digital sculpting field this week at work I'm kinda worried about 3dcoat if those issue are not carefully looked into, I don't think liveclay stand a chance if it isn't ultra solid.

I would glady help if the 3b files weren't that big, the issue is mesh explosion doesn't occur on default sphere but after a few hours of work.

Also, I think if explosion appeared, you may undo it. But if it continues to happen, undo and LegacyFix.

If you have ideas when it appears, it will speed up fixing.

Ok, I'm researching the explosion issues related with LC, but don't feel frustrated my friend, is still possible that some bugs hijack your work and that's the reason why we haven't tagged that as out of alpha-beta, reports are what actually helps to get as soon as possible into a stable form so never get tired of feedback us with them, in many other configurations LC are pretty stable, the first step toward solving a problem is knowing the causes, as soon as you know them the problem is half solved, so if you find a pattern that cause the explosion issues it will help a lot!

I can confirm the slowness on sculpting over mesh generated primitives.....

Also, regarding Decimate over cube, yes, currently if the mesh has very tiny borders, like one or two polygons thick it will fail, soon I will include a fix for this, so please, currently Decimate is advisable to use on more organic surfaces... meanwhile you can use the decimate brush instead and avoid the cube borders.

BeatKitano, When you had those mesh explosion issues do you remember did you changed between voxel/surface mode when working with your sculpt. I think that there is some

hidden bugs when doing so and using LC at the moment.

Ok, I've found a possible cause and I may say is not directly fault of LC tools, but with some corrupted data structure after starting a new scene after being using LC in a prior scene

If I start 3DCoat from scratch and I reproduce the steps in the video from haikalle nothing happens, but if I use LC and then start a new scene the explosion will happen. so here are the steps for getting explosions:

1-start any default scene and add few LC strokes,

2-start a new default scene and try to use LC again: EXPLOSIONS (inward and outward)

so don't worry, we have spotted the issue, will solve soon ;)

Cool. Thanks a lot Raul. I have spotted how to repeat the other explosing issue too. Making video for you soon. But now it's saturday... I don't want to bug you too much. Go out and

have fun with snow. We are still waiting that here in Finland :)

Here is the other video:

But maybe these two issues are related so fixing one will fix the other one too.

Thanks for reporting the bug with a video to mantis, haikalle. With my busy schedule, adding one more thing to do, well can't do everthing...

The decimate tool, (voxel menu) does a very good job at keeping details, even small LC details.

1 person likes this

Yes, I can confirm that bug, more easily to get is to simply hit enter after using LC and then try to stroke again... I think will be easy to solve, it is probably something that we skip in the release process.... I'm sure ANdrew will spot that in a second ;)

Ok the problem is solved, as I foretell this was easy pie for Andrew ;)

Still have this problem

3d-Coat-V37-01A-CUDADX64

post-536-0-90908100-1321730457_thumb.jpg

Still have this problem

3d-Coat-V37-01A-CUDADX64

Reduction is not touched. Just explosion issue mentioned above fixed.

Whats with the slow down load speeds?, Its gone from poor to bad....

I guess this is off topic slightly but i was just wondering does CUDA do much to boost Liveclay at the moment?

I know CUDA is used for a few things like smooth in voxels but i always wonder if it's just used for certain things then what else it is helping with, or if it's just used to help boost everything in the CUDA version.

Windows 32 bit non-cuda 3.7.01A DX mode

Started with clean scene, worked awhile and then opened up a new scene with a default voxel sphere.

Andrew and Raul, you guys seem to be on the right track now to squashing the explosion bug. In the short testing I've done so far and I was trying to make the mesh explode. I have so far failed in my attempts... :yahoo:

More testing tommorrow. plus even though this windows computer is getting long in the tooth, I'm gonna throw one more video card in it. A ATI 4650 with one gig of ram and see what that does too. Most of my work is done on the linux version but hey the windows version come out first. :rolleyes:

I did not try the decimate brush or the decimate tool under the voxel menu...

post-518-0-80500100-1321748245_thumb.jpg

I'm testing the 3.7.01 on Linux and I like a lot,explosion seems fixed(maybe it's too early to say but it seems so),thanks.

About the new function in surface mode(booleans),I have a suggestion.

The tessellation when merging seems good(I mean really sharp edges)but I'm asking if you have plans to improve how useful it could be these functions.

For example,no real world object is so sharp(every corner more or less has a little fillet),and the result from the merging doesn't seems to give the possibilities to further edit the shape with brushes.

So,what about a fillet brush to use after the merging?

I think that for organic work liveclay works great,but it could be cool if another way to tessellate faces can be done only for the particular case of doing fillets in the geometry.

As far as I can understand liveclay brushes they use some kind of delaunay or voronoi pattern to create new faces,but a fillet should always create faces equally spaced(horizontally) along the direction of the stroke,basically a flat area with horizontal length based on the radius of the pen and depth taken from the sharp edge as sampled by the stroke.

Trying a bit with liveclay brushes create good fillets only if the fillet is big in radius,but for tiny fillet it doesn't work(the result in this case is a noisy fillet that can work well only for some kind of object,but not for more technical stuff).

Smoothing doesn't help much(mainly because it allows to the smoothing normals to give a low res look).

Doing something like that it could be really a great addiction.

Hi there! It's been a while.

I've just get the v3.7 for 64bit machine with Cuda.

I opened 3dCoat (DX64), tried to create a primitive sphere in voxel room

but the sphere wasn't built after clicking "apply". Tried different kind of primitives but

impossible to turn them into voxel. 3dCoat crashed in the end.

Is there a need to uninstall previous version before installing V3.7?

I never had to do such a thing before when testing new versions.

Is there other people having the same issue?

Thanks!

OSX build / 10.6.8 / Nvidia graphics

Voxels at ~500 k, surf mode / decimation. Undo. Now I have to do some brushing before decimation start working again. Anyway. Great results ~250 K. Export object... 3dc freezing , force quit / OSX crash!

Thank you very very much. I haven't seen any other app that crashes OS for long time now. All 64 bit 3dc builds tend to crash OSX the last two three months.

I will trash it, the old 32 bit 3dc still works fine. I haven't anything to report, please guys, Andrew, Sergui, check the basics first before uploading.

There's a crucial huge mistake in all 64 bit OSX builds. Probably among OGL calls. This is valid I think. I'm able to decently shut down OSX via my other mac / ethernet. See my point?

OSX build / 10.6.8 / Nvidia graphics

Voxels at ~500 k, surf mode / decimation. Undo. Now I have to do some brushing before decimation start working again. Anyway. Great results ~250 K. Export object... 3dc freezing , force quit / OSX crash!

Thank you very very much. I haven't seen any other app that crashes OS for long time now. All 64 bit 3dc builds tend to crash OSX the last two three months.

I will trash it, the old 32 bit 3dc still works fine. I haven't anything to report, please guys, Andrew, Sergui, check the basics first before uploading.

There's a crucial huge mistake in all 64 bit OSX builds. Probably among OGL calls. This is valid I think. I'm able to decently shut down OSX via my other mac / ethernet. See my point?

It is pity and painful to hear that. Looks like we do nothing and never checking anything. It seems to be a very random crash and possibly it is specific to your configuration (but I don't know). Crashing any OS is related to hardware issues - if we do something wrong program should crash, not OS. OS may crash due to videocard/cpu overheating, HDD issues or something else that we don't know. So we need help, patience and bit more respect to find a reason and fix it. It is like surgery by e-mail... I will ask Sergiy to pay special attention to this problem, he will contact you soon.