Andrew Shpagin

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

1,787 posts in this topic

Hopefully now they are aware of these export issues they can be cleared up as all the new features are great and 3d-coat is looking better each week but i'm going to have to go back to the stable release in the mean time because I really need reliable UV's and Normal maps for rendering in modo.

Come on michalis, you're just being rude now. Please give them the benefit of the doubt, as you know they are a small team and cannot test every aspect of every build released.

IMO it's this OSX 10.5 compatibility that messes everything

Were that true Michalis we would not be so consistently confirming each other's issues.

It would be marvelous if you could post narrated or annotated videos of the issues so the team can see immediately and with greater clarity what needs fixed?

Your deep user knowledge and exactness will help shape events far quicker I am sure .

It strikes me that written/ verbal descriptions of issues are far harder to realize in the minds of busy people than a concise video demonstration.

Shout and stamp your feet by all means - it will add a little spice to the videos :-) Things would be dull without your spirit. The oyster needs it's grit to create the pearl.

@cl-apps

And 3dcoat developers

Indeed there's a major bug here.

Latest build is another useless beta.

3.7.01b was the last usable build for mac users.

You're doing something very very wrong. You probably know better than me.

Please!!! Give us a decent build. Test it first.

Because I'm convinced that you didn't test it before uploading!!!

Exactly so, this is my opinion, Andrew. Or, try to explain it better.

Here a fast test, autopo, manually unwrapped. Looks OK in 3dcoat but see the import in blender. Tried obj and lwo format.

I even tried modo, zbrush, same results. The exporter of 3dc is broken. You didn't test it, did you?

Thanks for kind words :( As always...

We have no dedicated peoples who test mac or win builds. We do some simple overall tests of new features, but in 95% cases all works on Mac in same way as in windows. Most reported mac bugs present in Win version too (but not all). And of course if we will test all features builds will come once or twice in year. We expect some help from users who interested in help. Othervice all our development system will just fail.

The problem with Mac bug reporting is very simple.

You report bug. We are trying to reproduce. All works as expected on our side. We can't fix bug.

So I recommend you to send 3B bile with problem to sergyi. In so way reproducability will be much better.

For example AbnRanger may be a bit not so kind in some cases. BUT he ALWAYS provide detailed info how to reproduce problem - he immediately sends all info - files and other. So bugs reported by him are fixed almost immediately.

So - hellp us to help you. Our huge desire is to make all work very well.

Thanks for kind words :( As always...

Not so kind words Andrew, agreed.

Some other Mac Users report similar issues though, have a look.

Anyway, I'm the bad guy here, the only one with 57 "like this", some artwork in 3dc gallery and a low 3* reputation.

It's OK. My fault if you like. :)

One for sure, I lost all my belief in 3dcoat and I use alternative software wherever is possible.

The main reason?

This GL use of 3dcoat almost burns my GPU, ventilation works as hell. Having a ~3K obj only, trying to paint a 2k texture!!!

The same time, blender (GL as well), respects my hardware with a superior performance. (64 bit for OSX10.6-10.7 builds). So, I choose this for manual retpology and UVs. It has simpler and better tools for the job.

Sculptris (another GL app) is fine, being able to work at its limits (~2M) with great performance. Low temp on GPU as possible.

Zbrush doesn't make use of GPU at all but gives me all the performance and the tools I like.

Back in topic now:

You can try this 3b file- just two joined smoothed cubes.

http://dl.dropbox.co...MACBuild.3b.zip

Here, what exported. Didn't include texture, it's a bit stretched as expected.

http://dl.dropbox.co...24090090/tt.Obj

http://dl.dropbox.co...24090090/tt.mtl

More complicated meshes produce even worse results with overlapping vertices. All the time.

BTW 3dc 3.7.01b is the last that works for me.

Some more tests on older 3.7.01 and the last build.

It seems that the issue existed already under the LWO format already.

post-2454-0-07678600-1331994858_thumb.jp

Michalis, hopefully this time problem is easy to solve.

Probably you checked option Coarse (sharpen) mesh in export dialog

133199623917.jpg

Just uncheck it. Probably you checked it accidentally.

If you have not cheched it but mesh is coarse - then we will discover it deeper.

This option is elso present in retopo menu.

Oh, indeed this was the problem. :blush:

Thank you.

It seems that the two 3dc installations don't share all the preferences.

Hey,

You can go to the first page of this thread to find the most recent updates...it will install over top of your previous install. You can always re-install a previous version if you find it too unstable.

ouch... there is no way to install stable and updates at the same time... and to have 2 versions running ? :huh:

Silly little bug, I was screen sharing the other day with client and the old Paintroom refresh bug is back. The one where after baking the paint does not showup on the model but if you switch to the Render room its baked out fine. not only does the baked colour not show up but the brushes dont function. Saving the scene and restarting 3d coat sems to work every time with the scene loading as expected. and things functioning as expected.

Sorry i should say after merging, not baking.

Updated to 3.7.08 (Win)

- Specularity supported in voxel painting. Warning! You should re-assign default shader with RMB click over shaders panel to get it to work. If you still not able to paint specularity - delete MyDocs/3D-CoatV3/Shaders/Custom/ - but preserve imprtant for you shaders. All shaders was re-written, so older ones will not support specularity.

- 3D-Coat will support import/export of objects that use tiles instead of UV sets - like from Mudbox. Example - how it works - http://www.3d-coat.com/files/Import_tiles.png

- Fixed several problems in pose tool.

- UI adjustment (even longer menus will fit into screen) - bit.ly/zAIPas

- fixed problem of rectangle/lasso painting without antialoasing in some cases.

- fixed several important bugs that are hard to describe.

Thanks Andrew.

Looks like the voxel sketch tool rotation bug is back.

Nice to see Tile update. One thing about texture naming. Now when you export textures from 3d-coat it names textures like this:

Object_default_color.tga

Object_Tile_1_0_color.tga

When it maybe should be:

Object_default_color.tga

Object_default_color_1_0.tga

Thanks for the update Andrew! I really like the multiple UV tile support, awesome stuff.

haikalle, that would be good. Better still would be some user customizable naming defaults. Perhaps some kind of input in the options panel?

Thanks Andrew.

Looks like the voxel sketch tool rotation bug is back.

please explain a bit.

please explain a bit.

Using "rotate around current pick point" and activating sketch tool in the voxel room, when I try to rotate the camera the current pick point (pivot of rotation) is somewhere off the screen which results in unusable navigation. imo the current pick point should be set to the center of the sketch box. I have to switch to "Rotate around world center" for the sketch tool to be usable.

I thought I saw a Mantis bug report on it but I cannot locate it right now.

Something has irked me for a long time. The UI isn't saving the way I like it. When I first load 3DC there is a floating VoxTree panel that shouldn't be there and in the Voxel room there are two extra tabs for Model and Spline, while the two thatshould be there are blank. So every time I load 3DC I have to reload my saved workspace from the menu.

Thanks for the tile update, it's very useful :)

Updated to 3.7.08A - Win - due to sketch tool problem

- fixed problem of Sketch tool - incorrect shading (was result of speculatity introduction)

- improved naming of tiles - if material hovers whole tile new UV set will get name of that material and material will not be renamed.

Hi Andrew!

Thanks for implementing wider support for the various UV tiles, much appreciated! I've been working with it extensively since you released the last build, and it's great, but there are a few niggling things, all centered around how it is implemented.

Basically everything boils down to, instead of importing the UV map exactly as is, it creates multiple UV sets and of course as you know, exports them out correctly by converting the name to their corresponding coordinate on the UV map. It's actually on the slower end when working with it in this form, and it's also difficult to paint on meshes that are in a different coordinate while using the UV texture editor.

So that said, do you think it would be possible to implement full on UV coordinates in the UV texture editor and in the UV editor/UV room? See the attached screenshot for an example. Thanks!

post-1232-0-30985700-1332397069_thumb.pn

UV tiles :D thank you Andrew, this is a big thing for me!!

Hi Andrew

If you are currently working on emmisive stuff it would be nice to add a post process glow effect to show it off in the render room