Andrew Shpagin

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

1,787 posts in this topic

Hi Andrew

If you are currently working on emmisive stuff it would be nice to add a post process glow effect to show it off in the render room

Is emissive stuff really on the roadmap or is this just a hopeful post? This is the first I've heard and it would be fantastic news, but I won't believe it until someone can share a link with more info. I hope it's true!

Is emissive stuff really on the roadmap or is this just a hopeful post? This is the first I've heard and it would be fantastic news, but I won't believe it until someone can share a link with more info. I hope it's true!

Here ya go. It is a few post down from the top plus a link to what the first test looks like in another twitter post...

http://twitter.com/#...!/andrewshpagin

To add to the list, can the spec map in 3DC be broken up into Spec and Gloss maps as well?

Win/Mac/Linux builds updated to 3.7.08B

The only change is fixed Autopo that was not accepting density painting correctly.

3.7.08B expected to be stabe - at least better than 3.7.01B that is in regular downloads because many important bugs fixed there.

Next build (3.7.09) will introduce colored specular and emissive for voxels, ppp and mv.

Thanks for all your great additions and work on 3DCoat. There are so many ways now of using 3DCoat for creative work. Any plans on the improving the renderer inside 3DCoat in the future.?

No time frame, just curious...

I noticed on the download page that under the "List of Changes" that the last two versions are incorrectly named. 2.7.08B and 2.7.08A

Next build (3.7.09) will introduce colored specular and emissive for voxels, ppp and mv.

Thanks so much for bringing these features, I expect to use these all the time and I'm very happy to hear this is coming soon.

A couple questions though: Will it be possible to continue to treat specular as a monochromatic value? Will we be also able to use emissive in a monochromatic mode that multiplies against diffuse (or will it always be a color value)? Some game engines (like ours) packs specular, emissive (as a multiplier of albedo), AO and reflection factors into a single 8888 texture is why I ask; it would be convenient to be able to continue to author specular in monochrome mode and being able to manage the emissive channel in the same way would be helpful.

Thanks again for continuing to make 3D coat even more awesome!

Thanks so much for bringing these features, I expect to use these all the time and I'm very happy to hear this is coming soon.

A couple questions though: Will it be possible to continue to treat specular as a monochromatic value? Will we be also able to use emissive in a monochromatic mode that multiplies against diffuse (or will it always be a color value)? Some game engines (like ours) packs specular, emissive (as a multiplier of albedo), AO and reflection factors into a single 8888 texture is why I ask; it would be convenient to be able to continue to author specular in monochrome mode and being able to manage the emissive channel in the same way would be helpful.

Thanks again for continuing to make 3D coat even more awesome!

Yes, specular may be treated as monochromatic. Spec color is just additional texture.

Emissive is in general monochromatic channel that highlights specific areas.

Is anybody else having trouble with edge highlighting in the OpenGL version? I'm trying to do a UV unwrap and I can't see what edges are being marked. It doesn't happen in the DirectX version. I don't remember having this problem a few updates back.

BTW: My hardware setup is a RadeonHD 5770, Intel i7 980x hex-core, 24GB RAM, & Win7 Pro x64

Got it solved. Looks like it was a driver issue that ATI just fixed with yesterday's update.

FTR, I actually get far superior OpenGL performance on this card, regardless of drivers. It's the exact opposite situation with my NVIDIA-based systems here, which perform much better with DX.

3.7.08B expected to be stabe

It is!

Keeping it as my basic 3dc build.

Thank you, it passed all my basic tests so far. Remarkable performance in retopo room!

OSX build under Macpro dual xeon 16 threads, Nvidia graphics.

Man, this is turning out to be a very sweet app. Great work Andrew.

It is!

Keeping it as my basic 3dc build.

Thank you, it passed all my basic tests so far. Remarkable performance in retopo room!

OSX build under Macpro dual xeon 16 threads, Nvidia graphics.

Thanks! Moved it to main downloads especially because in 01B there is bad problem with imprecise scale preserving of imported voxel models.

Win/Mac/Linux builds updated to 3.7.08B

The only change is fixed Autopo that was not accepting density painting correctly.

3.7.08B expected to be stabe - at least better than 3.7.01B that is in regular downloads because many important bugs fixed there.

Hi Andrew the Pose tool is still very inaccurate across symmetry in the Mac version 3.7.08B. Exactly the same issue as in my original report persists.

Was the fix added to the Mac version?

Hi Andrew the Pose tool is still very inaccurate across symmetry in the Mac version 3.7.08B. Exactly the same issue as in my original report persists.

Was the fix added to the Mac version?

Probably I missed it. Please point me the link.

Updated to 3.7.09 (win)

- Colored specular and emissive channels introduced in ppp/mv/ptex/voxels. Use new layer blending modes to assign colored specular/emissive to some layers. Pay attention that colored specular and emissive work only for Default shader, so assign it as default and use it to see effect. I will update all shaders after your review of how it works now.

- MV/PTEX got functionality that was previously missing - displacement/color of every volume will be baked into separate paint layer.

- Fixed problem of baking with option "Check groups and volumes correspondence"

Emissive channel is in this implementation monochromatic - it underlines that color on some places emits light. In so way any color may emit even if chanel itself is monochromatic. I think this sort of emissive is very enough, I don't think there should be non-monochromatic emissive.

Version 3.07.9 DX mode 32 bit non-cuda.

In the last few build I have been getting polypainting projections errors on older 3DCoat files using the paintbrush.

Symmetry is enabled. If I turn symmetry off there are no paint projection errors.

The Airbrush is not effected.

Does not matter what shader you are using.

Models started in the new versions seem not to be affected by this type of error but I will have to test deeper when I get back in town late next week plus test the linux version as well.

If you do not discover the cause, I will send you the file when I get back in town...

Picture shows the type of errors in the paint projection on the model...

post-518-0-81352800-1333215449_thumb.jpg

Emissive channel is in this implementation monochromatic - it underlines that color on some places emits light. In so way any color may emit even if chanel itself is monochromatic. I think this sort of emissive is very enough, I don't think there should be non-monochromatic emissive.

Hi Andrew,

Just FYI, emission almost always has a colour associated with it, so monochome is better than nothing but ultimately not really production usable. With this implementation, obviously someone could paint their diffuse channel the colours they want then paint the emission channel but IMO this is a somewhat clumsy workflow. Most people just want to paint a coloured emission map and be done with it :)

Cheers,

Peter B

Hi Andrew,

Just FYI, emission almost always has a colour associated with it, so monochome is better than nothing but ultimately not really production usable. With this implementation, obviously someone could paint their diffuse channel the colours they want then paint the emission channel but IMO this is a somewhat clumsy workflow. Most people just want to paint a coloured emission map and be done with it :)

Cheers,

Peter B

What is actual difference? Is it possible in real situation that diffuse and emissive colors are diffetent on the same place?

In general what you are exporting is colored emissive but principally it is monochromatic.

In general I may do it in different way - export not color + emissive in alpha but color from emissive layers + emissive in alpha.

Version 3.07.9 DX mode 32 bit non-cuda.

In the last few build I have been getting polypainting projections errors on older 3DCoat files using the paintbrush.

Symmetry is enabled. If I turn symmetry off there are no paint projection errors.

The Airbrush is not effected.

Does not matter what shader you are using.

Models started in the new versions seem not to be affected by this type of error but I will have to test deeper when I get back in town late next week plus test the linux version as well.

If you do not discover the cause, I will send you the file when I get back in town...

Picture shows the type of errors in the paint projection on the model...

Please explain a bit - what is "paint projection". How to reproduce problem?