3DCoat Forums

Voxel Head

John Kearney

Hi all!

It's been a long time since I've posted work on a forum (actually, I've never posted my 3D work on a forum!) but here's a voxel head that I created from a sphere using a demo of 3D Coat. I started this after two or three hours of getting to grips with the basics and then carried on for another four or five hours until I got the result you see below. I haven't touched most of the features and options within the program and I'm looking forward to investigating more. I used 2 or 3 of the basic brushes in 'draw' mode and then brought in some textures I quickly made in Photoshop to help out with the pores and so on.

Viewport_Shots.jpg

The images below were rendered with a significantly reduced resolution model because my computer here at home is terrible (2GB of ram). It doesn't have any diffuse/spec/SSS maps - the variation you see was created with procedural noise/dirt maps just to get a feel for how it might look if I can one day be bothered to paint some proper textures.

3D_Coat_Head_Renders.jpg

Cheers!

John

• Reputable Contributor

As always, the artist's is hand is what creates great work. The software can help or just get in the way. I'm glad in most cases that 3DCoat helps.

Inspiring work even at the unfinished stage and thanks for posting...

• Advanced Member

great work and result!! I'm curious how many times have you subdivide your model? (x2, x4, x6...)

the folds of the wrinkles have been made ​​from a photoshop texture and then apply with a brush?

++Chris

• Advanced Member

Hi all!

It's been a long time since I've posted work on a forum (actually, I've never posted my 3D work on a forum!) but here's a voxel head that I created from a sphere using a demo of 3D Coat. I started this after two or three hours of getting to grips with the basics and then carried on for another four or five hours until I got the result you see below. I haven't touched most of the features and options within the program and I'm looking forward to investigating more. I used 2 or 3 of the basic brushes in 'draw' mode and then brought in some textures I quickly made in Photoshop to help out with the pores and so on.

Viewport_Shots.jpg

The images below were rendered with a significantly reduced resolution model because my computer here at home is terrible (2GB of ram). It doesn't have any diffuse/spec/SSS maps - the variation you see was created with procedural noise/dirt maps just to get a feel for how it might look if I can one day be bothered to paint some proper textures.

3D_Coat_Head_Renders.jpg

Cheers!

John

those are awesome renders. I'm impressed. congratulations.

• Advanced Member

Well done, great start. Nice renders, maybe a bit less SSS on the right.

You'll find the way to export a retopo subdivided mesh (MV) and nice displacements soon. It's the right app for the job.

The most important is already noticeable. You know how to sculpt. Great post :clapping:

• Advanced Member

Looking at this again, I've very curious as to how you were able to do this.

How did you get all the little subtleties in the crease of naso labial fold and the wrinkles in the forehead. Were these sculpted or masked in? What was the resolution of your voxel model?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really inspired and I want to try to achieve similar results.

Cheers,

Gavin

Hi chaps, thank you for your kind comments, and taking the time to reply! I'll do my best to answer some of your questions.

chris_solo: My model shows 8x subdivision and around 7 million tris. I painted all of the wrinkles with one of the standard draw brushes. The only texture I used was 'dotted' so that I could paint the pores for the nose and the impression of hair follicles for the head/stubble.

haikalle: Nice crit, I didn't spend much time on the ear and definitely have to revisit it - thank you! :)

BeatKitano: Cheers!

michalis: It's actually the same shader with a slightly different lighting set-up (they were shots taken from an animation test to ensure the skin was looking decent). I agree completely though, it's definitely overkill at the moment!

SYN7AX3RR0R: Lol, ta ;)

gbball: Quite honestly, I believe that most of you would laugh if you watched how I went about sculpting the head. I extruded shapes like the ears very awkwardly with the draw tool, and then kept switching back and forth from surface to voxel mode in order to give me better topology to play with. I used the most basic tools available and haven't even got a clue how to use masks and other such features! I've done a lot of 3D modelling/2D painting in my time but I'm relatively new to sculpting. I just watched a Vimeo video of someone sculpting an ogre and my jaw dropped when I saw some of the tools the artist was putting to great use. I look forward to doing more before my demo runs out! Regardless, thank you and everyone else for the kind words and warm welcome.

Here's the only other 3D sculpt that I've done: Sculptris Alien

• Advanced Member

Wow! Great work!

It definitely shows once more that, as long as the artist holding the pen is good,

3dcoat is able to produce stunning artworks just like ZB.

Did you start this head from the scratch in 3dCoat or used a base mesh?

No matter the way it was made, it is very impressive.

Just lacks a little hair coming out from the hears and nostrils :)

• 2 weeks later...