3DCoat Forums

zbrush 3d coat workflow

gswartz

I use zbrush for sculpting and just recently bought 3dcoat for retopology. I've tried to follow the applink tutorial but the video is so low res that I can't make out any of the text and actually I'm not sure if I've even chosen the right command. There are so many options to export from zbrush to 3dcoat and all I wanted to do is retopo my mesh. I have been able to get my model into 3dcoat by going to zplugins>3dcoat>drop reference mesh. It shows up in 3dcoat fine and I've done all my retopo. But I can't figure out how to get it back into zbrush. Can anyone help? Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor

I use zbrush for sculpting and just recently bought 3dcoat for retopology. I've tried to follow the applink tutorial but the video is so low res that I can't make out any of the text and actually I'm not sure if I've even chosen the right command. There are so many options to export from zbrush to 3dcoat and all I wanted to do is retopo my mesh. I have been able to get my model into 3dcoat by going to zplugins>3dcoat>drop reference mesh. It shows up in 3dcoat fine and I've done all my retopo. But I can't figure out how to get it back into zbrush. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Yeah, watching the video embedded on the 3DC Applinks page, there is some extra compression going on. Not sure why, but if you click to watch the video at Vimeo, then you have higher resolution. It was recorded at 1280x720 HD, so you have Vimeo compressing it again when it's uploaded, and the embedded video appears to compress it a 3rd time. Not good.

I don't use ZBrush, but in general, the way it works, is from the external App. you tell it what you want to do (send to Paint, Retopo, UV, Voxels, etc.) > in 3D Coat you'll get an import options panel > do the work you want to do in 3DC, and then go to FILE > Open in Original App > back in your Application you will "Get Results/Update from 3D Coat" from whatever Applink panel you have.

Yeah, watching the video embedded on the 3DC Applinks page, there is some extra compression going on. Not sure why, but if you click to watch the video at Vimeo, then you have higher resolution. It was recorded at 1280x720 HD, so you have Vimeo compressing it again when it's uploaded, and the embedded video appears to compress it a 3rd time. Not good.

I don't use ZBrush, but in general, the way it works, is from the external App. you tell it what you want to do (send to Paint, Retopo, UV, Voxels, etc.) > in 3D Coat you'll get an import options panel > do the work you want to do in 3DC, and then go to FILE > Open in Original App > back in your Application you will "Get Results/Update from 3D Coat" from whatever Applink panel you have.

Thanks but when I go to file, I don't have an option for Open in Original App. I haven't closed either program through the process and I'm using the latest version of the applink plugin mentioned on the forum link for it.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks but when I go to file, I don't have an option for Open in Original App. I haven't closed either program through the process and I'm using the latest version of the applink plugin mentioned on the forum link for it.

Maybe it would be better if it were labeled "SEND to original App." Would make a little more sense. Nevertheless, "Open in original App" doesn't mean that it has to open the application, just open the file/new mesh.

Toward the end of the ZBrush Applink video, you the steps I previously mentioned. If it's too pixelated to see the text, then watch the video from Vimeo.com. It's not as compressed.

• Advanced Member

In Zb:

Export a ~1M mesh. I suppose you have a multi res mesh there. If not then use decimation master to export a reasonable mesh as obj.

Merge in 3dcoat. Two options here. With or without voxelizing. As vox mesh or as surface mesh. In any case use the merge command under vox sculpting, tools palette room. A dialog will prompt for keeping scale, say YES. If it's a voxelized merge, enlarge it, watching the resolution counter under merge palette. This isn't a rescaling!!! It's about vox resolution only.

Now, under vox layers palette ask for autoretopo or (even better) jump directly to retopo room and do manual retopo. After this, click on seems under retopo tools palette. This involves the UV tools. After finishing, ask for unwrapping. Just export under retopo menu. This will export the cage with the UVs. Import, subdivide and reproject in zb.

Please, ask for more help. This was just the basic idea. This workflow is what I follow all the time. ZB and 3dc.

There're more possible workflows between the two apps though.

Voxels sculpting is an opportunity for great sculpting solutions. You may need MV baking and exporting. Reconstruct subs in Zb etc.

One for sure. These two apps are a great, powerful combo. Lot of possibilities.