3DCoat Forums

1.5 vs 3GB vram (vram shared between two GPU, or single GPU)?

3dCoatWannabe

• Advanced Member

I was about to go with a GTX-590 with 3GB VRAM, but just realized that it splits the VRAM between two processors.

I can get a GTX-580 with only a single GPU, but that GPU will have a full 3GB VRAM.

Which is going to end up faster? I'm concerned about going down to 1.5 GB VRAM as I've got 2GB VRAM now with a GTX-285.

Thanks!

• Advanced Member

I not sure about this.. but I think the GTX 590 will not be worth its money you will end up using 1.5GB VRAM because it will only benefit one of the GPUS..

If you really want to have more VRAM you should take a look into some nvidia tesla cards, some of them go up to 6GB VRAM.. :)

• Reputable Contributor

I was about to go with a GTX-590 with 3GB VRAM, but just realized that it splits the VRAM between two processors.

I can get a GTX-580 with only a single GPU, but that GPU will have a full 3GB VRAM.

Which is going to end up faster? I'm concerned about going down to 1.5 GB VRAM as I've got 2GB VRAM now with a GTX-285.

Thanks!

Yeah, the 580 w/ 3GB's would be the best overall. Those Dual-GPU cards can help with renderers like Octane and some within 3ds Max that leverage the GPU (including VRay RT), and with gaming, but most CG applications...including 3D Coat and Mudbox would perform better with the 580/3GB