3DCoat Forums

Moving Files

stusutcliffe

• Advanced Member

I am having a bit of a tidy up on my computer( vista) .I moved a folder that was just one 3dcoat project from my Desktop to my D drive just to get it out of the way....and its a massive file! If I try and open a scene from the D drive, the model comes in but not the painted layers.The layers are indicated but not visable.Would I be correct in assuming that 3dCoat was looking for the images on the desktop, but could not find them.It all goes ok when I put the folder back in its original place.

• Advanced Member

Well I have no problems saving my work to another drive and opening them back up, but I don't ever use my desktop to actually save my work to. Only I unzip a file I have down loaded to desk top and shift it after and have no problems, but they're not massive either. It could be that 3DC has lost the path to the textures, but I don't know. I thought everything was contained within the 3b file. Though any of your saved retopos, UV's will still be in you Documents/ 3D CoatV3/ UserData/ folders. Perhaps your USB connection is too slow.

One thing you could try is to load the file in 3DC from desktop and them save it to your external drive and see if that fixes it. If so then just delete the desktop file after.

• Advanced Member

I think its just losing the path. Its not another drive, its a partitioned HDD.The C part where I think the desktop is located was getting a bit full so I was just clearing it out a bit by moving stuff to the massive "D" part of it. I tend to just throw stuff on the desktop for convenience, but it go a bit out of hand.Once I archive stuff I rarely go back to it. Its all working so thats fine. I put a notepad file in the folder to remind myself to put it back on the desktop if I want to use it again....I tend to forget stuff!!! I will try and make more shortcuts to the D Drive........but Ive got one tidied up computer now!