3DCoat Forums

Kurv Studios named in Ripoff Report

Glad it's finally getting around again. I posted on the lux forum with what I can. It's a little frustrating to see someone even question that it happened just because some of us got conned into signing a NDA/partial NDA just to get paid from him. (I've read it quite a few times, fortunately it doesn't cover actually talking about the NDA itself or the reasons why he wanted us to sign one in the first place)

• Advanced Member

Its a shame. I bought tons of video tuts from kurv. Even the last rarest Splinegod's LightWave 3D9 Relativity tut. Even attended paid webinars.

There's just no way to track sales on digital content for third parties. Going solo on selling is also not so good because you get less traffic, nearly zero sales. The best thing to do is from time to time, buy your own product. Yes its crazy but its the only way. I was selling digital content at turbosquid, 3d02, flatpyramid, 3dstudio, etc. Sometimes you should test their system. I finally weeded out the bad sites after a few years doing it. I won't even bother with other 3d content sites now unless its really really from a reputable company.

A solution is a commision based system and let only the author actually keep the digital content and distribute it themselves then it should be ok.

• Advanced Member

BTW thanks Bill for bringing this to our attention. I'm glad it's on ripoff report.

Most welcome Javis. Glad to see this made public.

The link was also posted on CGTalk CG News, but they removed it after a short time. Not suprising, but the good folks running the 3D Coat and Luxology forums haven't turned their heads.

• Advanced Member

Seems obvious Newtek wanted to keep things quiet, as he (Wes) was also a reseller of theirs. So, is the whole deal with Larry the main reason the Kurv website went under?

My guess is because of the way they came to deal with their authors and customers alike.

• Advanced Member

Its a shame. I bought tons of video tuts from kurv. Even the last rarest Splinegod's LightWave 3D9 Relativity tut. Even attended paid webinars.

There's just no way to track sales on digital content for third parties. Going solo on selling is also not so good because you get less traffic, nearly zero sales. The best thing to do is from time to time, buy your own product. Yes its crazy but its the only way. I was selling digital content at turbosquid, 3d02, flatpyramid, 3dstudio, etc. Sometimes you should test their system. I finally weeded out the bad sites after a few years doing it. I won't even bother with other 3d content sites now unless its really really from a reputable company.

A solution is a commision based system and let only the author actually keep the digital content and distribute it themselves then it should be ok.

So, which would be the "good" sites?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

In the past I bought three 3DCoat training dvds from Kurv....I was considering on purchasing more until I read this...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few old DVDs from Kurv, 2 of them were fine but one was very poorly edited with mistakes and duplicated "takes". I talked to the artist and he said he sent it in like that but Kurv was supposed to take them out and clean it up. After I mentioned that on a forum I got personal emails from Wes saying thing like "C'mon I thought we were friends, this is how I make my living."

• 2 months later...