3DCoat Forums

Rambo sculpture

johnnycore

• Advanced Member

Hi guys,

Just did another round of sculpting for today, it was three hours straight I think.. wish I had more spare time left..

This is (suppose to be) a sculpture of John Rambo, he kinda is my childhood hero and a perfect candidate for sculpting + muscle rigging.

I tought I might share some work in progress; Ive been working on this scukpture for a few months now, mostly at night, its hard finding some spare time to work on stuff like this..

Ive also been learning anatomy while sculpting this model, its a really nice way to learn anatomy in my opinon.. :)

My laptop hardware really slowed me down in the process untill I start using LiveClay, it REALLY is a brilliant tool.

Now Im working with twice the amount of details with just 1 mil poly's! (Without LiveClay it used to be 10 mil poly's.)

Anyways, I would like to hear some of your opinions/feedback/tips (except for the lower part of the body, Im still working on this)

Cheers and good night!

post-7933-0-73238600-1327967803_thumb.pn

post-7933-0-13247200-1327968048_thumb.pn

• Advanced Member

The anatomy seems sound, though I'm not an expert. But I will say that I think your resolution is too high and also you can probably stand to separate the head from the body so that you can edit them on different resolutions if you haven't done that already.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for your respond, but I actually think Im not on the higher side of the resolution.

My laptop is not really slowing down now, Decimate really helps alot with speeding up my workflow.

Ive used to seperate the head from the body but I actually dont like this workflow, currently I'm sculpting the volumes in voxel mode and the rest is all voxel surface.

• Advanced Member

Hey AbnRanger,

Thanks for your response, Ive actually bought "Sculpting Anatomy in ZBrush" I use it as my main reference its one of the best books Ive got.. :)

I mostly use a mixture of many screenshots from Rambo 1, 2, and 3 and then compare it to Scott Spencers book to see what muscles goes where..

I still find myself tweaking major/minor adjustments every day when going through some references, sculpting really requires some patient.. :)

• Reputable Contributor

I would suggest checking the ears. Google some images for the back of the ear. It helps you see how the ear is built out from the head from a number of different photos.

I like the looks of your muscle structure that you have attained so far...

• Advanced Member

Thanks digiman,

I actually put alot of effort into the ears but It got destroyed in proxymode after moving some stuff around.

I'll have to recreate them after sculpting some other areas, I will post some more screens by the end of this week I think.. :)

• Advanced Member

Yes I am aware of the ear model, but I like to create my own model.. :)

But what do you exactly mean with drag and drop layer of elements?

Does this require sculting in layers with the subtree?

I only have one model complete in my subtree, completely sculpted with help of LiveClay last time ive merged a voxel object with a liveclay object it caused my 3DCoat to crash or strange artifacts appearing.

Would like to see a merge tool in surface mode tho.. :)

• Advanced Member

Wow! I did not know there was a merge tool in surface mode, somehow I had the objects tab always closed..

But eitehr way it seems to crash while merging an obj into my decimated model, I have to revert it to voxel mode for it to work properly from my experience..

But when I want to go to voxel mode I need at least 10 mil triangle count to capture the same amount of detail, even this much might not be enough.. :(

I really need to get a desktop instead of working on a laptop, but its doing fine with LiveClay just at 1 milion triangles with insane amount of detail!

Thanks for the tips about the merge tool in surface mode and the drag and drop trick into Models/Splines pallet I will definatley use them in my projects if is manditory.. :)

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi guys,

Wanted to show a little update on my sculpture of Rambo.. its getting better by the day (in my opinion).

Too bad I dont have that much of spare time, working double jobs and other jobs keep piling up..

Luckily these next few days I wont be having any deadlines so I can finally do some work at Rambo.. :)

Opinions/feedback is always welcome!

post-7933-0-54393000-1329773888_thumb.jp

post-7933-0-38806800-1329773906_thumb.jp

post-7933-0-26602300-1329773928_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

It has been a while since I had some time left to do some sculpting.. currently working a fulltime job + some webdesign at night + studying.. it has been been quite some rough months for me lately..

Anyways I found some spare time today.. roundabout 1 / 2 hours.. so I decided to do some sculpting and post the result for today.. im no sure when I will have some time left again to continue with this..

Feedback is always welcome!

this is not final.

post-7933-0-84881200-1336084473_thumb.pn

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Yes I am aiming at realistic, still have to change everything to a-symmetrical but your right about the hands I will scale them down tonight when I get back home.. :)

It is still work in progress, feedback is very welcome!

• Reputable Contributor

Where can I find it?

I saw this tutorial but was not able to find it anywhere.. then.. I forgot about it.. :wub:

It's in the "Exchange" Section of the forum. Andrew was supposed to add it into the install, but I guess he hasn't gotten around to it yet.
  • Like 1