3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Help with baking a normal map

krazypoe

Go to solution Solved by Stakycake,

Hey all!

I am trying to bake out a normal map and after trying to follow a few tutorials, I am still out of luck.

Here is my process (summed up of course)

-- Brought in my High Rez Mesh in pieces that were decimated from Zbrush.

-- Merged them in the same Vox Tree and unchecked to Voxelize the mesh when merging. The reason I did this is because I was getting some major holes and artificating when I did. After unchecking that option, the mesh came in just as it looked in zbrush.

-- Created a retopo mesh (low poly)

-- Made UV's for that retopo mesh and exported it.

-- Went into the Voxel Room and went to the Texture Baking Tool.

-- Selected the low poly mesh to recieve the textures (my retopo mesh), selected texture size, said I wanted to export my tangentspace normal map to my hard drive.

-- I then hit "OK" and it took about 10 minutes to render.

Upon opening it, I found that the entire texture is grey and there is absolutely no sign of anything but a solid color.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

• Advanced Member

You need to bake from the Retopo rm. Retopo tab. With you finished Voxel sculpt go to the retopo rm. Create or import you retopo low poly mesh onto it, then in the retopo tab go to "Merge with NM to Per- Pixel". The baking tool in the texture tab is for when you have done some painting in the paint rm. with depth, or you can just export with a normal map.

• 5 months later...

The video above doesn't work. I'm really needing a lot of help on this. I have a obj that I've imported into 3d coat that is a basketball player. He's fully textured (jersey, shorts, sneakers, etc). What I'm trying to to accomplish is retopo the object, add some areas to include things like arm bands, etc. After, that, I want to bake the original textures onto the retopo'ed object and then begin painting...

So, import obj -> retopo -> bake original textures with retopo as target -> additional paint edits

When I attempt to bake the textures, any textures, I'm getting a solid color everytime. Sometimes its gray, sometimes red, its very confusing. I dont understand why Im getting solid colors. Please advise.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I have an issu with baking a normal map of an high res object.

I did the retopo, the UV mapping.

When I right clic on the object in the retopo room, I don't find the "Merge with NM to Per- Pixel"

Is there another way to bake normals from high poly to low poly ?

mini_603462Capturede769cran20140727a7681

Thank you.