3DCoat Forums

Does 3dCoat do clothing textures?

mcglee

Hi,

I am very new at 3d, and was wondering if 3d coat can be used to make textures for clothing models? Can I:

1). import an .obj file (eg pair of pants) from Poser into 3dcoat along with its texture map....Then

2). use a Photoshop brush to brush a jean texture (Or brush zippers, buttons etc.) onto the model and see these changes onscreen as they happen? (Without displacing the model itself?)

3). export this new texture map to Cararra, where I can wrap it onto the pant model but not necessarily using displacement.

I probably have not phrased this question properly as I am still confused about the steps involved in creating textures for clothing.

Basically, does 3dcoat make texture creation for clothing easier? If yes, ..how?

Also, if my pants .obj model is not yet mapped, does 3dCoat also do UV mapping?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know anything about Cararra and I haven't used Poser in like 6 years, but the answer to all of your questions is yes, it can do that. In fact some of the included materials are a couple of tartan (plaid) textured fabrics. You may need to make your own denim material in Photoshop though.

• Reputable Contributor

Mcqlee

You can turn off both the depth brush and specular brush.That way you would be only painting texture colors on the model with no displacement or specular highlights.The highlights you could add later.In fact 3D-Coat makes it quite easy to add zippers,button,belts etc with your brush in conjunction with the strip tool.If you have not downloaded the demo do that. Read the pdf file to help you understand the features of 3D-Coat.3D-Coat does a pretty good job of uvmapping if you are not experienced at unwrapping your models.I use Carrarra and you can use your texture map with no problems.

Thanks for the reply

Sounds like 3d Coat is a good app for a 3d newbie but Photoshop intermedie like me.

So.. let me get this straight before the April 1st cheap price deadline. :rolleyes:

I make a jean texture in Photshop-- eg seamless tiling texture or highres scan etc.

Then in 3dCoat:

paint (or fill?) the jeans texture onto the pants model.

AND strategically place more .psd layers like stiching or zippers onto the pants model .... or Brush some stiches or a zipper onto the pants model (without displacing any geometry)

AND see immediately how all this will actually look like on the pants model

Then save this map to use in the color channel , or bump channel etc. in Cararra?

Is this the same process for other kinds of maps as well? Eg. Luminiosity, transparency etc.. ?

If so, WOW!!

I checked out your website Phil.

Nice textures on your architectural and scifi models in your gallery. I was wondering if you used 3dCoat for some of these?

Mcqlee

You can turn off both the depth brush and specular brush.That way you would be only painting texture colors on the model with no displacement or specular highlights.The highlights you could add later.In fact 3D-Coat makes it quite easy to add zippers,button,belts etc with your brush in conjunction with the strip tool.If you have not downloaded the demo do that. Read the pdf file to help you understand the features of 3D-Coat.3D-Coat does a pretty good job of uvmapping if you are not experienced at unwrapping your models.I use Carrarra and you can use your texture map with no problems.

Thanks!

I will download the demo tonight.

Ididn't realize there was a good pdf in it.

Thanks so much Phil and Digman

I checked out the pdf, video and tutorial and now have a much better idea of how to go about using ('learning') 3dCoat for clothing models.

Thanks also for saving me hours of 'more' needless research. I might never have figured out that it was the program I needed if you hadn't pointed me in the right direction.

Much appreciated!