3DCoat Forums

Plans to allow Polypainting and Deformation at the same time?

polyxo

• Advanced Member

I for my work have no need to distinguish between actually deforming Geometry and painting small Details separately on Normal-Maps which

as I understand it is typically is required for Games due to their extreme Low Poly requirements.

I therefore would rather like to create all Deformation already in the Geometry and to Paint directly onto High-Poly-Geometry via Vertex Painting.

Naturally it was highly interesting to apply Vertex-Painting and to deform the Geometry at the same time as this is for instance possible in Zbrush.

Is something like this in the plans?

Of course it was even better if a way could get found to also hook up Specularity Painting and maybe even other Channels for Vertex-Painting

(without UV's or Ptex being present)

Output would typically either be:

• Autoreopo from Highpoly to UV Map or Ptex and baking the existing Vertex-Paint

or

• just a Polygon-Decimation to some acceptable Polycount, creating a UV-Layout on top of that and again baking

• Advanced Member

Already possible ,the poly paint system is to my knowledge the best available in the industry and the layer system works beautifully which cannot be said for zbrush .technically it is still in beta but works flawlessly .problems still need to be ironed out as regards boo leaning painted models but it is possible to do this also .

• Advanced Member

Already possible ,the poly paint system is to my knowledge the best available in the industry and the layer system works beautifully which cannot be said for zbrush .technically it is still in beta but works flawlessly .problems still need to be ironed out as regards boo leaning painted models but it is possible to do this also .

Hmm...In Zbrush I can put Zadd on as well as Polypaint. When I create a Stroke it deforms the Geometry and it applies Colour. Simultanuously.

How is the same possible in 3DCoat?

• Advanced Member

Exporting vertex coloured meshes is possible via FBx and lwo and also .ply which I assume will be available at the next update.both decimation ,autopo and manual retopology and baking to maps are also supported and fast.

Exporting Vertex-Colours was actually not my point here :)

• Advanced Member

Andrew mentioned something about looking into implementing normal painting into the poly paint workflow .not sure if it's still on his to do list or not.also I think I remember someone mentioning that Andrew was combining the rooms so maybe it might be possible in V 4 .but this is rumours so don't quote me on it

• Reputable Contributor

Hmm...In Zbrush I can put Zadd on as well as Polypaint. When I create a Stroke it deforms the Geometry and it applies Colour. Simultanuously.

How is the same possible in 3DCoat?

Can't see a practical use for it, personally. Plenty enough to do polishing up the rough edges and attended to other broken areas of the app.

• Advanced Member

Well I do see a lot of practical use in that, otherwise I would not have asked the Developers.

Should making the whole Arsenal of Editing available also without UV's already being present be a Development-Goal one really needed to reconsider the Rooms-Concept.

Which I think was a good thing anyway.

• Advanced Member

It's under consideration at the moment. People keep asking for an ui overhaul and merging of some room, as a matter of fact this will happen in some point in the future, just keep in mind Pilgway's team is small and that can take some time to undertake such a massive task.

Thanks Beat! There was no impatience in this request. But sometimes it's helpful to get a better understanding of the Development-Direction :)