3DCoat Forums

Mac version?

Simon

Good news!

3DC was compiled, linked and run on MacOS 10.4 (Intel platform). Not perfect work still, but it is good achievement, it is very important step to release.

As soon as it will work at least on 90% I will upload beta.

Thanks for the info Andrew. I hope it runs on PPC Mac OS 10.4 as well??

Thomas

I can run Zbrush 2 just fine on my older G5 Dual 2.0GHz PPC with an ATI 9600 Card so why couldn't I run 3D Coat!?

Thomas

Your computer seems to be fast enough to work with 3DC, but the main problem with PPC is that it is almost impossible to buy it now (at least in our country). We can compile UB, but there is no warranty that it will work properly because we can't make good testing.

Some portion of very good news!

I dedicated yesterday to help guy that makes porting to finish it asap. We fixed all stability issues and now 3DC works fastly and stably on Intel Mac-s, it gets advantage from multiple cores! Several small issues are still there, but there is no principal barrier to solve them. The list of unsolved problems (but easy to do):

1) No tablet support (it is most easy issue)

2) No space mouse support (also easy to solve)

3) No extension choosing in file dialogs

4) No tiff support (but exr works fine)

5) Text tool is not working properly.

All of that problems are not hard to solve, I was glad that 3DC now works robust.

Also a question: Do you have/use "CTRL" key on the keyboard? I see that CTRL is not used in almost all Apple programs... But 3DC uses it widely.

edit: I looked images, it seems that CTRL is on its place, but why programs don't use it? (I use usual PC keyboard)

applekeyboard.jpg

Most Mac programs (Photoshop, etc.) use the command key (the one with the apple icon) instead of the CTRL key. Also, a UB application should work on a PPC machine. I have a G5 Mac, and I run UB versions of Photoshop and Cinema 4D.

• Advanced Member

Yes, Mac apps usually use the Command key.

Some apps give you the choice to map all Ctr key clicks to Command, too, so you can use either.

I also right-click a lot, which uses the Ctrl-click functionality. Not a big thing for Mac users years ago, but definitely a plus using RMB functionality today.

Is there any possibility that future updates could include a customizable UI similar to the way Silo developers have gone in the past? A fully functioning, stable software is the most important issue at present but colours and layout are very personal and when including 3DCoat as part of a work flow which may include other 3D software it would be good to be able to improve that work flow with elegant and intelligent integration.

Just a thought..............Keep up the great work. You have started a small revolution from within many CG sites......the momentum is gathering and Pixologic beware!! :)

Is there any possibility that future updates could include a customizable UI similar to the way Silo developers have gone in the past? A fully functioning, stable software is the most important issue at present but colours and layout are very personal and when including 3DCoat as part of a work flow which may include other 3D software it would be good to be able to improve that work flow with elegant and intelligent integration.

Just a thought..............Keep up the great work. You have started a small revolution from within many CG sites......the momentum is gathering and Pixologic beware!! :)

The interface is fully customisable. Colors, styles of buttons, keys...

I have to admit I am amazed at the speed you guys work at. I have been waiting for version 3 of ZBrush for Mac for ages with no hint of a release date.

Too many software producers use the 'works on mac under windows' excuse for not bringing out mac versions of software, but why buy a mac if all your programs have to be run under windows??

Andrew if I could buy shares in your company I would do as I guarantee you will make a fortune out of this (and other) software in the future if you stay commited to it as you have done thus far.

I recommend talking to Newtek about a package release with Lightwave. They often bundle software with Lightwave and as Zbrush costs lots more than 3dcoat and doesn't have native lightwave support I think Newtek would be very interested.

If you are looking for another project to work on try making a realtime 3d engine that works with Macromedia/Adobe Flash. There is no good software that does this at present and the 3d support in Adobe Director is rubbish.

Keep up the good work.

The interface is fully customisable. Colors, styles of buttons, keys...

Fantastic Andrew, I've already started stirring things up by adding a little pointer toward 3DCoat on the current "ZBrush Mac Version" thread on their forum. People are really getting very fed up waiting for Pixologic to inform the customer of any progress/availability of the Mac version 30 months on from the PC release. Not good business! Good for you!!

Add me to the list of Mac users looking forward to the release! I'm another refugee from the Zen experience that is the wait for ZBrush, and came here due to the mentions 3D Coat has gotten over on their Mac thread. I've been ZBrush-less so long I don't even remember half the features I've been doing without, so whether that eventually shows up or not, I'm eager to take a look at what you've got here as an actively-developed alternative!

Just wanted to add my support. Another Mac Zbrush user who is tired of waiting. I will buy this the day it comes out. I am also on a G5PPc machine and run Maya 2008 UB without any trouble so I am hoping that all goes well with 3DCoat. Andrew, I am impressed with the speed that you have made this happen. Well done.

I also want to add that many companies but especially Pixologic could learn a thing or two about your constant communication with your users and customers. Here's to you, I hope you achieve wild success with this application.

Thanks for the fast porting to the Mac platform. Do you have plans to make this a UB app? Currently, this is an Intel only app. This shouldn't be too difficult since most Mac apps are UB at this point. There are also a lot of users who still are using PPC Macs. I plan on upgrading to a new Mac Pro later this year, but I'd like to start using 3D-Coat now.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the fast porting to the Mac platform. Do you have plans to make this a UB app? Currently, this is an Intel only app. This shouldn't be too difficult since most Mac apps are UB at this point. There are also a lot of users who still are using PPC Macs. I plan on upgrading to a new Mac Pro later this year, but I'd like to start using 3D-Coat now.

Keep up the great work!

Now we are in process of decission. The main problems:

1) It is not easy to get PPC computer. They are not produces since 2006. But in general it is possible to buy old computer.

2) It requires some additional time because of reversed bytes order in integer value on PPC. It is important for saving data, color handling (stored as integer value)...

Not so big problems, but I think we must release Intel version first.

I want to know how much PPC users are there, what percent of PPC users in the world. Of course not all kind of PPC but with at least with Radeon 9500 on board.