3DCoat Forums

texture baking tool broken?

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

http://3d-coat.com/f...t=0

Confirmed, still broken in 3.7.10

Try this with 3.7.10A (DX CUDA x64 Windows)

Note: Both the low poly mesh and high poly mesh MUST HAVE IDENTICAL UV'S!

1) In paint room: File > Import > Model for microvertex painting (choose low poly mesh)

2) In paint room: File > Import > Big Mesh (choose high poly mesh)

3) In paint room: Textures > Export > Displacement Map Current Layer

For a retopo mesh + reference mesh, see my other post in the thread quoted. More steps but it might just work if you have a high poly mesh with no UV's. Low poly mesh must have UV's though (obviously).

yes they did have identicle UVs in the sense that the Highpoly mesh was generated from the low poly mesh, UVs were subdivided. The paint room technique works but the results for the bump and displacement are less detailed and more shallow than the nicer results I get in 3.5. Retopo Texture baker is better when it works correctly.

• Reputable Contributor

I had some time the other day for bug reporting

I have submitted one bug report for version 3.7.10A at mantis for surface mode baking ( displacement) from the retopo room using the texture baking too. I could reproduce the steps everytime. In Surface mode I get the blank map.

In voxel mode the displacement appears to bake correctly. Surface mode is crucial to baking LC details to an external mesh without going through the paint room or if you are importing a high res mesh without voxelizing and using an external low res uv mapped model to bake the details to.

The same low res uv mapped external mesh is used as your imported retopo mesh. This information the posters of the thread already know but I included it for those reading this thread who might not have use the above method before...

I did not test normal map...

I will test Big mesh (high poly) and low polygon importing next for generating a displacement map. I was having the same problem, a very faint displacement on this method. I had not used this method for while so I did not know it was messed up too. Once I get the steps for Andrew to reproduce, I will submit that bug report as well.

• 2 months later...

Texture baker still broken with imported cage mesh. Not sure why this isn't being tested before it's released.

Why the heck is this still broken? If not can we at least get a little instruction here? All I get is 3DCoat just hanging, it doesn't even create a displacement map anymore in 3.7.13