3DCoat Forums

Daniel Tynan: Character Modeling for Animation

Daniel Tynan

My first character (well 2nd if you count the rat character I made following that excellent tutorial).

.I'm wondering how to create a low poly animation version of him while preserving the details of the voxel sculpt as a displacement map?? As it is I know that when I retopo the low poly version I'm going to lose all those details like wrinkles on the pants and coat pockets . .

Daniel

post-11868-0-77659700-1332742564_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

If you make a retopo mesh in the retopo room you can merge your retopo mesh into the per pixel paint room which creates normal maps from your voxels, or you can merge into PTEX or Microvertex Painting which will generate a displacement map on the fly.

Per Pixel Painting and Microvertex Painting require some UV's though, but you can create them in the Retop room as well.

If you think I was quite vague I would like to explain it more in depth... :)

So could I not just convert this voxel sculpt to high poly. . paint it and then save the textures and displacement maps . . .. . Then use my original voxel sculpt in the retopo room to create the low poly topology correct version for animation. And then I just put those saved maps onto this new low poly version?