3DCoat Forums

applying symmetry

Jason Brindley

hi,

Is there a way I can 'bake in' the symmetry of a retopo and then continue to work without symmetry turned on?

I've added a few extra edge loops etc. to one side of an autopo'd character mesh which I then copied to the other side using symmetry (x). This gives a nice even mesh, except down the middle (x axis) - it's the reason I turned symmetry off in the first place whilst working.

It'd be great now if I could apply that symmetry and then work on resolving the centre line/area by merging verts ect. But having symmetry on makes this difficult.

Is there some method for this, or some other approach to the centre axis when setting up autopo and work symmetrically?

thanks

jason

• Advanced Member

With the standart settings 3DCoat does not automatically apply symmetry you can check this by pressing S (symmetry settings) and turn it on/off again.

To bake your symmetry you should activate your symmetry in the settings (symmetry across X for example) and then use the symmetry tool on the left side of your screen under "commands".

Now you can turn off symmetry with S --> no symmetry, as you can see its baked now.

I hope this helps.

**edit**

You should also check out the retopo tab in je menu bar on top, there are alot of retopo tools up there.

For example mirror retopo layer, select triangles, select ngons.. etc.

• Like 1