3DCoat Forums

Export or Bake?!?

MatCreator

• Advanced Member

What kind of difference are you noticing?

Is it the difference colors?

I had the problem of painting with the scene lights at a too high intensity, which resulted in me painting a darker color which was being multiplied with the lights so it looked like the color value was quite nutral.

But when I import it back into another app, I noticed they were way to dark..

Im not sure if you are experiencing the same problem, if you explain it more in depth I would like to take a look at it.

• Advanced Member

Sorry for not getting back to my own thread sooner =P

It's hard to explain, but the difference is the color texture result... A few stray pixels, you have to "look" for he difference to spot it, but I have noticed it many times... You can't even tell from a rendered image, but I guess for this everyone is now from Missouri...

What I'll do is post 2 different textures from the same model, one exported, one baked, and we'll see..........

Back in a "few"...

• Advanced Member

Ah yes, for this I have another theory..

When you export your textures to .JPG it will most likely be slightly different due to compression.. you should try to use another extension for example TIF or TGA..

But then again Im not sure if you are using .JPG.. just a rough guess.. :)

Would like to see your two textures posted in here though!

• Advanced Member

I've been "away" for a quick spell, hope that doesn't discredit my thread =P

This is the file produced w/ an object export... Both use .jpg compression and are at the same size, however the filesize is a little different too (export as opposed to bake being greater).

post-1766-0-48948700-1334221678_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

And this is the baked version...

I don't just mean the stretching of the edge pixels, theres more than that, just "look" closely......

And just to note, I LIKE the naming on the baking option much better... Can we set it so that export and bake function name material zones the same?

post-1766-0-12019000-1334221772_thumb.jp

• Reputable Contributor

That is not stretching on the edge pixels, that is padding so your uv seams blend together. Yours looks like it is set at the default which is 64 pixels. I set mine most of the time to 4 to 8 pixels.

Check preferences to set the amount of padding width.

I'm not sure what you mean by baking. Do you mean you are using the Baking tool in the paint room?

Did you import an obj model into the paint room and then created your normal map or displacement map. That is when you could use the Baking tool.

If you have merged from the retopo room a voxel or surface mode model, then it is baked already. You can as you know export from the File menu plus you also can export from the textures menu. I tend to just export my model from the file menu and export my color,normal and displacement maps under the textures menu when I have merged (baked) from the retopo room but that is just my personal workflow.

I just trying to understand your workflow as it was not real clear in your post how you got your model into the paint room.

post-518-0-98027900-1334239960_thumb.jpg