3DCoat Forums

Am I missing something? can't get voxel details baked into normal map

Daniel Tynan

Hi, I have purchased the pro license and upgraded to version 3.708B (supposed to be stable).

I've sculpted a wig in the voxel room and then used the "Autopo for Per Pixel" option. I retopo'd it in the Retopo room and created a UV map. .. ..

Next I chose from the Retopo menu: "Merge with NM (per-pixel)

When I go into the paint room I can see my poly wig object but the normal and occlusion maps are all blank and do not have any of the fine hair detailing that I made on the original voxel sculpt. ..

Why it is not using the voxel sculpt wig to make the normal map??

I've also tried "merge patch (per-pixel) with similar results (blank normals map and pure black occlusion map.

Should I install the previous version of 3dCoat and write a bug report on this?? Or am I missing some steps?

I managed to make it work with the previous trial version of 3d-coat.. before buying the license and updating to the latest stabe version. But I kind of forget the exact steps I took.

Thank you for you help!

ps: I can upload screen captures if it is not clear.

• Advanced Member

Have you turned off your voxel model's visibillity before merging with NM Per Pixel?

Not sure what you exactly did, either way it should be turned on before merging.

All voxel visibility is on. . and there is only one retopo group for the wig. Also I made sure it has the same name as it's corresponding voxel object layer. Well I think this is some kind of bug. Does 3d-coat choose which voxel layer object to used based identical names or closest voxel layer object based on world space? Just wondering how it finds the proper object.

I think I'll probably re-install the previous stable build and try it there. .. IF it can open save files from later versions of 3d-coat.

If you did autopo for Per Pixel it should just automatically take you to the paint room with a finished model after going through the steps.There shouldn't even be an opportunity for you to choose a Merge option or create a UV map, since you already chose per-pixel and the map is created automatically. I just tested it. I picked autopo For Per Pixel, set the polycount and smoothing options, then just kept clicking Next or OK and ended up in the Paint room.

2012-04-18_2212.png

• Advanced Member

Does 3d-coat choose which voxel layer object to used based identical names or closest voxel layer object based on world space? Just wondering how it finds the proper object.

It will bake the voxel layer you have selected in the voxel/LC rm. If you have a Voxel layer that uses only a small portion of your entire mesh in the retopo rm. selected, then this may be your problem. If you want the whole sculpt baked to the whole mesh you must merge all your voxel layers first, delete all but the layer with the entire sculpt and have that selected, then you should be good to go.

@Phil: I just tried with a simple sphere with some detailing on it in the voxel room.. ->autopo for per pixel. . . and same results in the paint room..pure black occlusion map and pure blue normal map with none of the details. I'm quite sure there is somthing wrong with my 3dCoat install at this point. . . going to try to install previous stable version because it seemed to work for me.

@ Zeddicus: what settings should I have for this? It defauls to BakeScanDepthIn: 10 and BakeScanDepthOut: 10. PreviewOuterDistance::1 is selected. Should I not be able to see something with these default settings??? I never changed the settings at any point.

@ Polygoon: My original scene had several voxel objects put into layers.. and I was trying to retopo each object layer at a time... regardless. when a create a new scene with just one voxel object (and just one layer) I still don't get the detail on my normal maps.

Going to go back to the previous stable version of 3D-COAT. This version is proving not to be stable for me!

I'lll let y'all know if or when I can get it to work again. Frustrating! Since I just bought the program!

Well I just un-installed the stable version and installed the latest BETA version of 3D-Coat. 3.7.10 When I tried a simple test object the normal maps worked without any problems. .. . SO. . I'm going to load up my project and test that next. But should work. I don't know why the stable release wasn't working. .just one of those things I guess. Thanks for the help everyone!

Yep Beta version is working perfectly with my project to make the normal maps. Great! Now I can finally get back to work on it!

BTW when you guys merge with NM to make the normal and occlusion maps. . what do you choose for "Initial subdivision"? I left it at default "No subdivision" is there any advantage to having more subdivisions for painting? I guess it won't actually subdivide my polygon mesh when I export it. . but only to a temporary subdivision for painting purposes?

For per-pixel I leave at at "no subdivision". I have heard of people using it on rare occasions, but I don't see a use for it it my work. In Microvertex mode it makes a big difference because you're painting with depth too (not just normal maps) so it will affect the quality of the depth you paint.