3DCoat Forums

3DC is freezing up my PC.

Zeddicus

• Advanced Member

I'm tired of having to hard reset my PC constantly due to 3D Coat using up every last iota of processing power on some operation that'll likely never finish even if I leave it running all night. My mouse cursor will continue to stutter around the screen when this happens, but that's about all I can do. I can never get Windows Task Manager open in order to end the 3DC process for example. Would lowering the priority help? If so, is there a way to lower the priority permanently? Or should I just get into the habit of making sure Windows Task Manager is already open prior to running 3D Coat (maybe create a script that runs them both at the same time). I'm sorry to sound grumpy, but it's very frustrating to frequently lose unsaved work in other programs because of this. :angry::wacko::blink:

• Advanced Member

Is this happening to you in every version?

Or just the current version you using?

Have you tried using the openGL version? Your graphics card can handle openGL (in theory, I read somewhere that openGL is for GTX 400 series or higher)

• Advanced Member

Every version. Thankfully some operations will result in a warning, like UV's being too large which was the last one I encountered IIRC. Not every operation does that though. For example I just tried to create a displacement map, for which smoothing needed to be enabled in the bake options. Don't know why since my retopo mesh and reference mesh are already smoothed AFAIK (no idea which one it's talking about), but it forced me to do it anyways which results in the process always getting stuck somewhere between 92% to 97% and I can't do anything at all with my PC while it's stuck there. I left it processing all night one time and it was still stuck when I woke up the next day. I wish there was some way to discern whether it's actually frozen up or still calculating. That and more warnings prior to whatever operation 3D Coat is about to do. I'm really just venting because I'm mad at myself for constantly forgetting to run Task Manager prior to 3D Coat lol. :)

• 1 month later...

You can create a .bat or .cmd file that have these lines.

So it will always be lower priority than most applications when running.

I did this to all CPU heavy program.

@ECHO OFF
cmd.exe /c start "3D Coat Low Priority" /belownormal "D:\3D-Coat-V3\3D-CoatDX64.exe"
[/CODE]

• Like 1

You can create a .bat or .cmd file that have these lines.

So it will always be lower priority than most applications when running.

I did this to all CPU heavy program.

@ECHO OFF
cmd.exe /c start "3D Coat Low Priority" /belownormal "D:\3D-Coat-V3\3D-CoatDX64.exe"
[/CODE]

Super tip! Thanks. :)

I think if 3D-Coat can support a dump on kill then it's easier for Andrew to track the blocking thread.

Or if BeatKitano wanna do it, try download the Process Explorer( It's free and from MS, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx ).

You can create a dump file that can help a lot for developer to track what happened, when 3d coat freeze again just right click on 3dcoat process in PRocess Explorer and choose to create mini dump.