3DCoat Forums

How to control profile rotation with curves tool?

Eric Cosky

I've been trying to learn how to use the Curves tool in the voxel room. It looks like a very useful tool but one thing is really holding me up - I can't figure out how to reliably control the rotation of the object along the spline. Many of the shapes, such as the first "Dragon4.obj", have a spike or other feature that needs to be oriented correctly for it to work for a given curve. I've tried to use this tool every now and then for a long time and always gave up before figuring this out so I am hoping someone can give me a few pointers on it.

I've tried the rotate tool (visible when "apply to whole curve" is set) and it rotates the points on the spline, not the shape extruded along the spline. Often times, when I do find a control that has any influence of the rotation of the extrusion, it rotates so fast for even slight changes in the curve point positions that it is uncontrollable and seemingly just a side effect of the spline manipulation, not a specific "rotate the profile". I haven't yet seen anything that rotates the extrusion that doesn't also move, rotate or scale the spline itself.

I am sure I'm overlooking something simple & fundamental here because I've seen plenty of examples of people doing things that are clearly the result of well controlled use of the curve tool. Can someone help me out with a few tips on how to use the curve tool effectively?

Thanks

• Advanced Member

You can select a curve point and in your tool box you can see theres an option "add rotation" when you play around with this setting you'll see the profile rotates on the selected point.

I hope this is what you meant.

• Reputable Contributor

This is the same info johnnycore gave you but just more detailed.

To control the curve use this method in this picture which gives you control over the curve.

I forgot to mention, put your mouse cursor between the add rotation words and the number input box, your cursor will change to a double arrow. Now drag holding down the left mouse button.

You have control over the speed of the dragging. also yo can just input a number for the amount of rotation...

Hope this helps...

post-518-0-93046700-1335556486_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! I knew it had to be simple.

One problem though - I don't actually see the Add Rotation field! Maybe this is a bug in 3.7.10A ?

Please check out the attached screenshot. I have a point selected, and the "Add Rotation" simply isn't there for me. Any ideas?

post-1166-0-22441400-1335565638_thumb.pn