3DCoat Forums

Mr Turtle

iLegacy

• 2 weeks later...

Garagarape: Thx! No it's not for a game but it was for a small competition on game artisans: WoW Mounts. And yes, i'll colorize it, but first i'll do it in b/w to have good values. When i'm happy with the contrast then, i'll do the color :)

David & JavisF & Michalis: Thx a lot guys :)

Angelia: What do you mean with "How long did you finish it?" - it's far away from finish and i'll hopefully will finish it soon.

Randomguy_j: Really good point! I'll check this out! Thx alot!

I painted some wood :)

shot37a.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Very good workmanship and grayscale values for now adding color...

You know I start most of my 2D drawings in grayscale to get the values but not for some reason in 3DCoat. Don't ask me why, maybe by the end of the sculpting/ retopoing process, I just want to start throwing color on. :blink:

After seeing your values work, I am changing that...

That's whats me botters about 3D :) Often you have to do so much technical work that the 2D skills are just forgotten. That's why i try to think always in traditional painting rules. This is a wonderful PDF from Valve explaining exactly this. Any i think the transfered 2D rules to 3D perfectly.

media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2CharacterArtGuide.pdf

• Advanced Member

Nice start for the colors. But I agree with Chingchong.

The "belly" part is too dark IMO. I like the way you use orange and subbtle green

on the fins. Yes, carapace needs more color variation.

May be good to try different color schemes on Photoshop.

Good luck with it.

Hi iLegacy,

That's a great looking model, Well done!!

With regards to it's coloring...your model appears to be similar looking to a "Hawksbill Turtle"..?

Here's a link that may help:

http://www.arkive.or...elys-imbricata/

http://www.arkive.org/hawksbill-turtle/eretmochelys-imbricata/image-G133791.html

regards Colin

• Advanced Member

That's much more better. Still you could add a subbtle color in overlay on the skin parts to distinguish it more

from the "carapace" (the hard part of the turtle--> forgive me, I lack vocabulary).

But that's only my preference, and all depend on what kind of touch you want to give it.

Looks like a recolored movie to me for the moment, and that's quite an original looks.

Keep it up!

• 3 weeks later...

Colwax

Thank you for the images. I also collected some turtle pics but these i didn't found. Cool! :)

Garagarape

I recolored some parts and also the skin between the hard parts of the surface. :)

Feelting time

Thank you for the kind words :)

Here is an update and i need your help. I tweaked the texture a but and I'm at a point where i don't know what i have to push further or if its enough. I think i'll continue with some rigging and setting up the final composition and waiting for feedback about the texture. Maybe there are some good tipps :)

shot51a800.jpg

• Advanced Member

I complained the bottom before, but now i think it looks perfect :)

And i love this saturated style. About some more tweaking, i think its almost done, like you said.

Maybe only adding some glare/ almost white areas to the peaks of each carapace-plate, but thats maybe not neccessary.

• Advanced Member

Your turtle looks really nice now.

I think your blue colored background is killing a bit your character.

You may raise the saturated looks of the turtle by using a more neutral background.

With a slightly more bright or rather dark background the turtle silhouette may be more readable IMO.

The turtle back with its huge patterns may need a little more love.

It is probably the only area where you don't have a transition between small patterns and big ones.

If you look at the belly there are big shapes on the center, going smaller and smaller on the sides.

The top just have massive tortoise shell that looks all the same.

That's what makes me think that the upper tortoise shell style doesn't perfectly fits with other areas that are more subtle.

I'm not a 100% sure that changing the pattern size is the best way to improve your character, but I hope it will help

reconsidering it from another point of view.

• 3 months later...