3DCoat Forums

voxel painting (beta) - questions

Monkeybrain

• Advanced Member

helo dear readers,

I did switched the beta tools on with in 3DC 3.7.11b (DX/Cuda) - under win64 bit. But I can not paint on my objects, If I did pick a color (brush-tools), my voxelobject did changed the picked color for the whole mesh.

e.g. my voxelobject is gray, now I pick a red color, I don't can paint, coz the whole voxelobject is now red. And if I pick now a other color again, my whole voxelobject did have now the new color again :(

Hi, right now you're just changing the color of the shader. What you need to do now is this:

Convert the voxel object to a surface object (by clicking the V until it changes to S)

Go to the paint room, under View>ShowVoxelsInPaintRoom, this this option on

Now select a painting tool and a color, and paint!

Hi Javis, I've also been looking for how to switch between voxel sculpting and texture painting. I can't find 'ShowVoxelsInPaintRoom' in the View menu... Could you post a screenshot to illustrate this?

Just started using 3dCoat, and it's really great so far, but I'm still trying to find my way around it :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Ok, works with latest beta! I can paint to my heart's delight with voxels / surfaces, but now they don't show up in the UV room... Is there a procedure to make them appear there as well?

You don't have any UV's to even view....unless you've created a Retopo Mesh for it. It's a high poly, triangulated mesh, and instead of using mapping coordinates (UV's), the color information is stored in the vertices themselves.

You don't have any UV's to even view....unless you've created a Retopo Mesh for it. It's a high poly, triangulated mesh, and instead of using mapping coordinates (UV's), the color information is stored in the vertices themselves.

Thanks. What is a quick way to create a Retopo Mesh with UVs from my voxel model?

• Reputable Contributor

Depends what you plan to do with the mesh. If it's just for a still image/pose, Autpo (short for Auto-Topology), could do the trick. If you plan to animate the Character, you probably would be better off manually Retopologizing it. You can check out Greg Whedon's tutorials on that, or the other Greg's tutorials called "Rat from Scratch." He covers Autopo in some detail..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Phew, I'm glad I'm not alone. I painted a voxel sculpture and am in a similar position as in no matter what I do I can't export a texture with something on. I used the auto option and can see a UV map etc but I still get pure colours when I export. I'm also wondering the best way to get a painted voxel into cinema 4D for rigging (I just purchased riptide to see if that'll help with MTL's). It could be that FBX will work fine once I work out where I'm going wrong. For now I just want a straight forward export just to understand how it works. :) It's an amazing piece of software and I'm really enjoying using it (apart from the hair pulling now)

One other question.. is there a way of using a brush to scale a part of your sculpture? I'm sure it's there and I've missed it but I just want a brush that when moved left or right it scales part of your sculpture for example if you make the hands too big. Maybe I'm doing this wrong and should be working on more layers etc.

Thanks for any help and advice you may have :)

3D-Coat has a unique working methodology for "getting things out" of the program.

The place that you should use for exporting a topologized mesh accompanied by its corresponding textures is the Paint Room, and its export dialogs. It's the safest bet. You also won't get any permanent UV's until you merge a model into the Paint Room.

You can isolate a portion of any voxel sculpt (Voxel Room/Mode) and put it on its own layer for scaling, rotating or altering it completely:

1) Use the "Split" tool and one of the "selection" tools from the "E" panel (press "E" to invoke it) - selecting the portion of your mesh to isolate.

2) Modify the voxel object using any of the Voxel tools and Transforms.

3) Use the "Transform" tool to reposition the isolated voxel layer.

4) From the Voxel "Right-Click" menu - select a "Merge" mode that joins the new voxel layer with the original one.

Greg Smith

Many Thanks I'll give that a go.

I've only had the software 24 hours so I know I have a lot to learn especially when it comes to UV's. I did something wrong and when I exported the final model with UV's it didn't have enough detail in the mesh (my mistake as it was the first time I'd done this). I re-did retopo but there was white all around the texture so I just re-painted it again (using bodypaint this time as I'm more familiar with that for now). The more I experiment the better I'll get and it's an amazing piece of software and I have no idea how I've missed it all these years. Oh and anyone who had the same difficulty, part 7 of the above set of videos is amazingly helpful :). Anyways here's my very first voxel sculpt in 3D Coat :)

firstattempt.jpg