3DCoat Forums

Green Goblin

David Schoneveld

• Advanced Member

This isn't really supposed to be the green goblin from the Spiderman world. I'm thinking more of a goblin mage or some sort of interesting fantasy character that will be in a in game engine diorama with a dragon (in progress in maya) maybe more, but first goal is static characters in game. I'd love some critiques. His upper chest will be somewhat visible but he'll be clothed. I'll probably make his hands and feet as separate objects.

greenGoblin.jpg

• Contributor

Good start!

Some of the underlying anatomy is a bit odd (the jugular vein area, and the muscles at the top of the back for example), but I don't know how much similarity to human anatomy you are going for. I've noticed though that the closer sculpts on the forums look like realistic anatomy, the better they are generally received (unless they are very obviously stylized like a cartoon or something). So if realism is what you are going for, another thing I would suggest is that the eyeballs are too large...you can't see his eye sockets very well...the eyeballs should be smaller and suspended in the middle of the eye sockets. Just some suggestions, but overall it is looking pretty cool so far!

• Advanced Member

Nice start!

Do you happen to be THE David Schonenveld? AKA Agent Fx?

If so: I've been a big fan of your work, loved your Maya fluid sims and it inspired to get me into Maya Fluids.. :)

I also used to follow your blog for a while.. :)

• Advanced Member
the jugular vein area, and the muscles at the top of the back for example, the better they are generally received (unless they are very obviously stylized like a cartoon or something). So if realism is what you are going for, another thing I would suggest is that the eyeballs are too large...you can't see his eye sockets very well...the eyeballs should be smaller and suspended in the middle of the eye sockets.

Thanks Tim, good notes. Jugular was an accident as it split when a heavy stroke and I was like hmm, thats kinda neat how its wrong. hah. and I went for a subtle change. The only reference I looked at was for the ear, so I could probably go back with neck and trap reference. The style I love is a bit cartoony, my favorite art out there right now is in DOTA2. Detailed but cartooy-stylized. I do think I could make the eye sockets bigger to accommodate the huge eyes, and possibly push the eyes back a bit.

Hah and yes Johnny I am agent FX. I've been working on switching to making games on the side instead of FX. Been helping my friend on his project then almost now, onto something new. All a learning experience, getting good at content creation pipeline. I have the Maya>mudbox>topogun>vray light baking>Maya rig/anim>FBX>Unreal pipeline down, but I wasn't sculpting in mudbox, just texturing (retopo friends models). I wanted to refine and be able to get higher detail end results on my own, also needed a hard surface tools that z & mudbox don't have. and here I am! hah.

• Advanced Member

Cool!!

Good to see you on the 3DCoat forum!

So no more FX in the (near) future? I really loved your tests, it really inspired me to do fluid sims at first I used Maya fluids but now I made a switch to Houdini.. its absolutely amazing so if you're bored one day I recommend you to check that out.. :)

Are you using 3DCoat for hardsurface only now?