3DCoat Forums

3dioot's sketchbook

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Here is a quickie before making dinner.

post-949-1223054631_thumb.jpg

Meow got a little postwork in photoshop. :)

Im late with making dinner now too, thanks alot Andrew! ;)

3dioot

PS

I sculpted this is V18, V19 really gives me problems with the depth sampling when you start to really sculpt. I have full confidence in the next version of carve though. :)

• Advanced Member

When i send the image to my brother he thought it had certain Chiwawa (however you spell it) qualities. ;) Appearantly i put alot of different animals in this model. Or perhaps it really is too dark and you can see anything you want in it. :lol:

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Your welcome Tilo. :)

Here is something ive been working on for two evenings. I know the viewing angle is a bit unexciting but i didnt sculpt this little fella with symmetry on and i still have to do the other side (shhhh dont tell anyone). Inspired by Taros Gorilla "doodle".

post-949-1224021419_thumb.jpg

3dioot

PS

Andrew, is there any chance i could get a high resolution version of 3dcoat's logo with alpha channel? Ive been wanting to put the logo on some of these little sculpts just to gather some interest/curiousity. If its ok with you ofcourse. If you only want that on high quality gallery stuff i would understand. :)

• Advanced Member

@ Jokermax

Thanks! I dont think sym copy is going to help me much though since the frog is not aligned to the grid either. When i started this I knew full well i would have to sculpt both sides seperately. Its something i wanted to try for fun and to see wether it would give more character to the sculpt. Thanks for the tip though im certain it will come in handy in the future.

@ Philnolan3d

Thankyou. Ive played with symmetry copy also. Its quite an amazing tool since it just always works! Ive tried to brake it and i couldnt. Its very fast too. That may not seem like much but in zbrush its slow and sometimes it cannot find symmetry or only partially. Seems 3dcoats symmetry copy literally copies over one half of the voxel sculpt. Its great. :lol:

@ tree321

Yes they are and thankyou very much.

@ Andrew

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for the logo. Its perfect.

3dioot

• Advanced Member

@ tree321

:D Its a nice frog but i sense a very different attitude from it! ;)

@ Jokermax

Yeah perhaps. I personally think that when you sculpt symmetrically you usually do it at 0,0 anyway and once you start to move away you go full out with posed assymetry. So i dont think i would use it very much. Still it would be nice to have. And yeah i could export out then back in but i really cant be bothered. Ill wait for good scene management, good cutting/duplicate tools etc. ;)

Spend some time sculpting a face today. I find them real hard to do. I think i know the basic proportions but once i start sculpting its like everything gets out of whack automatically. Still i dont think this one turned out halfbad. Might finish it by adding a neck and ears. :)

post-949-1224454102_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

3dioot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Woot my voxel sketchbook still exists.

Here is tonights labor. Just a simple ear to get back into sculpting (i love doing ears for some reason).

Wanted to give surface tools a run for their money so i used "fast and rough" for basic forms, surface "clay" for the majority of the sculpting and a tiny bit of voxel "inflate" on ear rims and the like to give them some volume. Overall impression of surface tools; pretty sweet. If fast and rough could get a little less rough and a bit faster (esp after slowdown in 58, this was sculpted in 57) it would become my #1 brush for roughing stuff in. :)

post-949-1234998991_thumb.jpg

JW

PS

Andrew wouldnt it be cool if 3dcoat came with a few voxel models for playing around? Im willing to donate this ear if you think its a good idea.

• Contributor

Nice ear! :)

there is someone I think Andrew hired to make a whole bunch of voxel chunks,

like body parts ect....I don't remember in which section of the forum tough... :mellow:

Meanwile you can put it in the add-on section I think.

Thanx

• Contributor

That is a good ear.I should probably have some extra ones 'cause my wife always says I don't hear what she's saying. :lol:

Hey, it's good to have you back in the forums.Keep on making suggestions on how to improve the brushes.Things can only get better.

Woot my voxel sketchbook still exists.

Here is tonights labor. Just a simple ear to get back into sculpting (i love doing ears for some reason).

Wanted to give surface tools a run for their money so i used "fast and rough" for basic forms, surface "clay" for the majority of the sculpting and a tiny bit of voxel "inflate" on ear rims and the like to give them some volume. Overall impression of surface tools; pretty sweet. If fast and rough could get a little less rough and a bit faster (esp after slowdown in 58, this was sculpted in 57) it would become my #1 brush for roughing stuff in. :)

post-949-1234998991_thumb.jpg

JW

PS

Andrew wouldnt it be cool if 3dcoat came with a few voxel models for playing around? Im willing to donate this ear if you think its a good idea.

Nice ear!

That could be nice to add several models for used to play with! So, that is good idea.

Please send it, I will include it if it is not too big. Even if it is big I can make online access to some models.

Thank you!

And rough & fast - as I told there was some debug code that was occasionally not removed. I will re-update today.

• Advanced Member

Artman

Thanks for the nice comment. I put the ear in the section you described.

Tree321

Its good to be back. From what i read it seems Andrew is really focussed on brushes/feeling now which is a big relief. Thanks for the nice comment. As for your wife commenting on you; thats probably not the fault of the ears themselves is it. ;)

Andrew

I just tested V59 and it feels nice and speedy again. Very happy. Ill put it through some more testing. It still gives artifacts now and again and there is an important feature this brush is lacking and that it really needs. Hopefully i can write it down in a clear fashion soon. (also thanks for fixing the freehand lasso tool) It seemed easiest to put the ear in the free stuff section. You can download it from there to include in next release if you like it.

I uploaded the model for everyone download ear model

GrtZ JW

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Hello everyone. Spend some time sculpting again and here is the result.

2009-03-23_1300.png

For giggles:

2009-03-23_1303.png

I noticed something i think ive mentioned before. The effect of zooming in and out (or dollying towards and away actually) seems to have a -very- dramatic effect on the perspective distortion. Now dont misunderstand me; i sculpt in perspective view mode exclusively (ortho gives me headache) but this feels very exaggerated to me?

Example

Perhaps the default fov of the camera is very high/low in comparison to what im used to (or are you changing fov to zoom in and out instead of dollying?).

Could you please add an option to enter fov manually? I dont know if it "solves" this but im certain it will help.

GrtZ 3dioot

• Advanced Member

Here is the latest update.

2009-03-24_0030.png

Focused primarily on the overall head proportions (cranium). Tried to enlarge the mouth some but atm its looking a bit stretched. Excuse the folded ear. Thats from a quick repositioning; i had it set too far back (its still quite far back i think). Wobbly appearance is because my little pc is really choking on this one. Increased res twice so i had enough resolution for the eye area and my pc is giving me the finger allready. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Let me know if you think its an improvement (or not). :pardon:

GrtZ 3dioot

• Applink Developer

This is a nice update. I like the mouth area a lot. Maybe the neck area is something that you can focus more. But this is much better than anything I have done so it is

hard to find anything to improve. Keep it up.