3DCoat Forums

akira's sketchbook

akira

• Advanced Member
looking good! the neck is a little long and a bit too verticle, peoples necks tend to angle forwards over their body a little.

Thank you for the advice, I have fixed the length of her neck now.

post-751-1237990237_thumb.jpg

realy good sculting.

did you have increase resolution to scult the head?

Yeah, I increased the resolution one time during sculpting the head, her head was 22k triangles alone.

• Advanced Member

Its looking great Akira.

I know its a wip and all but i have to point a thing out about where the eye orbit turns into the maxilla (the area underneath the eye). It protrudes too far forward. Here is a sideshot from a male head. (from the www.theartofanatomy.com site)

bonesSide.jpg

Notice how much room there is next to the nose. In the accompanying post the author of that picture explained that its so we can look down. A little evolutionary help so we dont step on snakes all the time. That little story is what i use to remember it myself. (i used to do this wrong all the time)

Also you could try making the nose a bit more delicate; a bit thinner maybe and you could try to make the point tip up a little bit. Make the lips a bit fuller and the jawline a bit smoother. Her chin looks really wide and strong now. If you make it a bit smaller and the transition from jawline into chin a bit smoother i think it will work wonders.

Oh well ill shut up now cause your obviously still working on it. Looking very good so far. :)

GrtZ 3dioot

• Advanced Member

Thanks 3dioot, very clear and helpful descriptions, but we Asians have different facial features compare to western peoples.

The shape of our face is flat and low contrast.

post-751-1238062338_thumb.png

And her chin will look too artificial to have a realistic feeling if I make it narrower.

post-751-1238062998_thumb.jpg

I'll keep in mind for your suggestions when making a western face. :)

Now here's the update of her fingers:

post-751-1238062373_thumb.jpg

post-751-1238062404_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hmm thats a good point. Its true im a "westerner" also. You got me. ^_^

I found this beautiful photo online:

post-949-1238085949_thumb.jpg

It still makes me wonder wether you arent adding to the volume of the face while you could also deduct from the bridge of the nose? I did a little research (because i find this really cool and i should really try to sculpt some other races) and found that the different noseshape is primarily attributed to the nasal bone of the skull being very "different" from western features (smaller and flatter). Like you can see on this asian skull:

bc-149-md.jpg

Either way; i should learn racial differences before commenting. :pardon:

The hands are looking great; keep it up!

3dioot

• Advanced Member
Wow, Akira,looking great so far ! :)

Really like the fold work on this one.

Thank you :) , I'll make it asymmetrical later.

looks great Akira! Hands and feet are a little large:)

Oops, yeah you're right.

I was thinking it's just perspective distortion, but her feet is really too large after checked in ortho view.

I'll fix it, thank you Jorkermax.

akira.

• Advanced Member

Thanks a lot for watching and criticizing. :)

I have fixed the scale problem of her limbs, I almost have to start over on the legs after transposing.

Thanks Jorkermax again for stopping me from going too far away.

before:

post-751-1238613143_thumb.jpg

after:

post-751-1238613156_thumb.jpg

I'll give back her cloth soon.

akira.

• Advanced Member
Thanks a lot for watching and criticizing. :)

I have fixed the scale problem of her limbs, I almost have to start over on the legs after transposing.

Thanks Jorkermax again for stopping me from going too far away.

I'll give back her cloth soon.

akira.

Hi akira,

Nice model, I really like the hair. I'm curious about your technique, do you use a rake type of brush,

or one of the object tools.

Thanks for posting your work, it's an inspiration to me. Also I would like to thank you for all of your contributions to 3D-Coat.

P. Monk

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the comments. :)

Her arms are not straight, so they may look too short in ortho projection views.

In a rapid testing with transpose tool her finger tips can reach the middle point of upper leg,

I think it should be long enough, but I'll look more into it again.

And her hair is made of custom voxel stamps with Snake and Spikes tools.

post-751-1238646093_thumb.jpg

Extract this folder into VoxStamps\Splines if you want to try them. :)

akira.

hair.rar

• Advanced Member
Thanks haikalle, glad you like it. :)

Here's another model I'm working on, a base male, tried to keep the triangle count as low as possible this time.

akira.

Hi akira,

First let me say thank you for the hair.

This new figure looks great. :good2: As always. :P

I have a couple of questions though. Does that say 1 million tris on the full figure? And secondly, why are you concerned with poly count in VS mode?

You are going to retopo and put it in your game, are you not?

P. Monk

• Advanced Member
Hi akira,

First let me say thank you for the hair.

This new figure looks great. :good2: As always. :P

I have a couple of questions though. Does that say 1 million tris on the full figure? And secondly, why are you concerned with poly count in VS mode?

You are going to retopo and put it in your game, are you not?

P. Monk

1. Yeah the full figure is 1 mil triangles.

2. It's mostly because of the performance is way better at low triangle(voxel) count that helps me making large scale change(move/transpose/smooth) more easily.

And I want to make sure if I get the most out of the current voxel resolution before increasing resolution. As Brad Bird always says: "Use every part of the buffalo." :)

akira.

• Contributor
Beautiful! :good:

Indeed! Akira, have you given any thought to the problem of animating deformations like the cloth on your figure? I've thought of keying changes in the contrast of a height map. I can't think of how one would do it with normal maps.

• Advanced Member
Beautiful! :good:
Indeed! Akira, have you given any thought to the problem of animating deformations like the cloth on your figure? I've thought of keying changes in the contrast of a height map. I can't think of how one would do it with normal maps.

Thank you for the kind words. :)

@Tony Nemo: There's an article talking about animated wrinkle maps, you may want to have a look at it:

http://ati.amd.com/developer/SIGGRAPH07/Ch...rinkle_Maps.pdf

Similar technique for maya:

http://www.krisdemartini.com/expressive_normal_mapping.pdf

akira.

• Advanced Member

Akira,

beautiful work on the girl!! Did you make the clothing in 3DCoat?( i really should give it a try!). and thanks for the paper downloading now! :D

• Contributor
Thank you for the kind words. :)

@Tony Nemo: There's an article talking about animated wrinkle maps, you may want to have a look at it:

http://ati.amd.com/developer/SIGGRAPH07/Ch...rinkle_Maps.pdf

Similar technique for maya:

http://www.krisdemartini.com/expressive_normal_mapping.pdf

akira.

Thanks for the links! The first was a little arcane but the second looked adaptable for C4D.

• Advanced Member
Akira,

beautiful work on the girl!! Did you make the clothing in 3DCoat?( i really should give it a try!). and thanks for the paper downloading now! :D

Thank you :)

And yes, all of the model were made inside 3DC, but the clothing is not from cloth simulation, it's only hand sculpting thing.

akira.