3DCoat Forums

Stone Troll

jakuzaa

Hi

I would like to show you my first (beside few dozens of doodles ;) ) voxel-sculpt. It is stone troll based on Bjorn Hurri concept I have found on his website:

post-1639-1246481991_thumb.jpg

I expect to hear some advices from experienced users, especially about the level of detail. The sculpt is 2,2milion triangles, do I need to go higher or leave it as it is and continue to add details in paint mode?

I want to go through following workflow:

1. Voxel sculpting (almost done)

2. Retopo

3. Paint

4. Rigging and Rendering in Lightwave

First problem I encountered is symmetry in retopo room not matching with voxel room, and I don't know how to handle this:

post-1639-1246482600_thumb.jpg

post-1639-1246482591_thumb.jpg

Can you help me with this one?

Thanks,

Kuba

• Contributor
Hi

I would like to show you my first (beside few dozens of doodles ;) ) voxel-sculpt. It is stone troll based on Bjorn Hurri concept I have found on his website:

post-1639-1246481991_thumb.jpg

I expect to hear some advices from experienced users, especially about the level of detail. The sculpt is 2,2milion triangles, do I need to go higher or leave it as it is and continue to add details in paint mode?

I want to go through following workflow:

1. Voxel sculpting (almost done)

2. Retopo

3. Paint

4. Rigging and Rendering in Lightwave

First problem I encountered is symmetry in retopo room not matching with voxel room, and I don't know how to handle this:

post-1639-1246482600_thumb.jpg

post-1639-1246482591_thumb.jpg

Can you help me with this one?

Thanks,

Kuba

Use the TAB key to adjust the Symmetry plane.

• Contributor

While in retopo room you can use TAB to move the symmetry plane where you want it.

(I asked Andrew a long time ago to make voxel symmetry planes (even for rotated objects)

the sames as retopo room symmetry plane and he said it was not so easy to do)

Very nice start btw,workflow plan is solidand should work ok. :)

It is a very good concept art choice ,but challenging because it has both symmetrical

and unsymmetrical parts and is still very continuous.

Thanks to all of you for advices! And thanks for the kind words too :)

Now I struggle with retopology - it's not that fun anymore, haha! Like you said, artman - in first step I need to retopo symmetrical stuff and after that do the rest.

But, since I started this thread I should finish it. Other way it will be a shame! ;)

I would like to update it more freequently, but I have to spend a lot of time on my boooring arch-viz job :(

• 1 month later...

So, it's been over a month since I last posted and my trial version expired long time ago, but 3D Coat is number one on my shopping list :)

Fortunately you can still do a lot of things in demo version.

This is my Troll after retopology and UV-mapping (remember, this is my very first try on this field, so critics are very appreciated):

post-1639-1250016678_thumb.jpg

And this is 3D Coat draft render:

post-1639-1250017052_thumb.jpg

Textures are unfinished and need more work. Besides, I can't export any textures in demo.

• Contributor

The troll is getting more and more alive! :good:

I know texturing isnt finished so I cant really give critcs about that...

But... if I were you I would go back a little to the voxel sculpt and add a little definition.

No new details,the distribution is already perfect,just highligting what you already sculpted.

I suggest 3 pass:

1-a little extrude brush on the elevated details with low value and pen no.4

2-a little surface pinch brush following the carved lines(cavities) (low value with small radius)

3-and finally a little surface smooth brush everywhere except carved lines

(its gonna remove the sculpted look)

(if you dont know,you can get to surface mode clicking on the cube icon beside your voxtree layer)

Also I suggest applying those changes with shader picmat_clay on,

it is really good shaders that shows more what will really be transfered to the normal map.

I'm only saying this because you asked for crits.

I think it is a really cool model already. :)

:brush:

The troll looks great. The style reminds me of several things. First the work of Hayao Miyazake. Also Chimera, the short film my class did in school based on this comic book (Wikipedia even mentions my class). Also oddly enough the anime movie "Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer" There's a large part of the movie that is losely based on a Japanese fairy tale, about a whole city being taken away on the back of a giant turtle while the citizens slept. Your troll reminds me of the turtle.