3DCoat Forums

kay_Eva sketch stuff

kay_Eva

• Advanced Member

Quick look inside game engine version. There are seems there that aren't there in 3d Coat viewport.

Hair and hat are quick drafts. I think I'll do the low poly clothing/hair/accesories with polygons, blender's sculpting can actually handle the wrinkles okay as far as sculpting is concerned. But 3d Coat for Texture. :brush:

I'll do shoes/hat with voxels though. Just my preference.

post-1190-1247396012_thumb.png

• Advanced Member

When 'wrinkles' rebel methinks. :rolleyes: They take the shoes, hands, and basically all else along with them. :brush:

I'm still using Beta C I think. And right now I can only undo once after any action. It won't undo further than that. But I guess I should get the most recent Beta.

post-1190-1247476635_thumb.png

• Advanced Member

yeah thanks

Well, I've been rearranging things around. Thanks to voxels you can rearrange a model a lot. In some versions she has round ears, in some a more delicatly proportioned face (as in narrower).

Oh wellz, I'm accepting criticisms at this point from people who know.

I did everything voxels. I think I shouldn't make the shirt and the pants the same layer.

post-1190-1247532914_thumb.png

I'm just gonna allow her to be whatever she is. I'm not even sure if she's human anymore :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member
Looks good. I like the clothes quite a lot.

thanks

Kay, I also really like the clothes and your modeling. Can you give us an idea as to how you made the clothes using "Cloth"? :)

thanks

I didn't use Cloth, I used Copy tool. But I'll try cloth later.

• Advanced Member

Okay I'll stop clogging up the WIP section now. There is a big bug that erases my voxel object upon saving the file. Therefore I don't see what I'm supposed to do right now.

I tried to make some improvements to her face.

Though the voxel obect got deleted after I saved.

*sad face* (my own)

post-1190-1247617845_thumb.png

• Advanced Member

Okay guys I've now come to the understanding that I am going to have to retopo and then import into my 3d package of choice, blender, and then add definition and certain alterations in blender and then reimport into 3DCoat. Thanks for Tinker blazing the way. :drinks: This is the last update before I do all that fun stuff. Sorry I'm posting a lot cuz this is my first full sculpt ever. I've done a lot of incomplete practices in blender. But this is the first one I aim to complete - using 3d Coat helps a lot.

ankb4k.png

• Advanced Member
Okay guys I've now come to the understanding that I am going to have to retopo and then import into my 3d package of choice, blender, and then add definition and certain alterations in blender and then reimport into 3DCoat. Thanks for Tinker blazing the way. :drinks: This is the last update before I do all that fun stuff. Sorry I'm posting a lot cuz this is my first full sculpt ever. I've done a lot of incomplete practices in blender. But this is the first one I aim to complete - using 3d Coat helps a lot.

Sounds like a lot of work, Kay. :unsure:

Can't you get the definition by using the pinch tool?

• Advanced Member
Sounds like a lot of work, Kay. :unsure:

Can't you get the definition by using the pinch tool?

eh, I'm not sure. I'm just a little confused on how to get the true look of the voxel to come across in a normal map. As it stands now it's more like a 84% true representation. And that's just a little too much loss of detail especially when you aren't pro like me, and you need all the help you can get!! :pardon:

Well anyway I lied about no updates. Here I got some more into blender. I had to export voxel as polygons and then also export a retopo mesh. Then I did the baking inside of blender in order to get a 100% true result.

Still you can see seams but that's partially because I use auto seems and the retopo meshes themselves aren't final either. I wanted to see what the normal map bake would look like.

Blender Bake inside of Blender Game Engine

169l3ic.png

:yahoo: hehe I'm excited. It's pretty nice considering it's me. I like it. But I should really go through with Tinker's technique for the hard bits of the outfit. Like belt and collar could use some definition I think... I'm also going to seperate the shirt from the pants. So that they will be two seperate meshes.

The polycount will be something like 2500 tris, could be more or less. Most of it is in the fleshy portions in case I decide to animate facial movements. Which I probably will. Probably no lip syncing but frowns and smiles maybe.

• Advanced Member
eh, I'm not sure. I'm just a little confused on how to get the true look of the voxel to come across in a normal map.

Oops, sorry! I thought you meant definition in general. I know voxels can tend to look a little soft around the edges, but a little pinch soon fixes that.

But yeah, I suspect maintaining defintion on exported models is gonna be tricky. I've not got that far yet though... Wait for me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Well I did a test of the now working normal map baking! :yahoo:

I like how it looks. But if you see any areas that I might need to alter what I'm doing please say so. I had avoided texture painting for so long. This is my first real texture paint. I wouldn't have done it to this level I don't think if it wasn't for 3dCoat. If I had to do it in photoshop... :blink:

Well anyway, critique if you have them.

And there is a hole in her head because it was a very fast retopo/bake test that I continued to paint and then import into blender.

I know the pores are too big and too numerous and a little too deep. And eyes aren't painting or anything. I think the skin tone is okay. What do you think? I could use the input. :brush:

a3yqa8.png

• Advanced Member

I think it's looking good, just the nose-eye sharp angles that stic out to me. Bit hard to describe but its not fleshy enough?

it's nice to see things here like the in-blender-game-engine shot. I've been looking over Unity lately and this was a good reminder that there are free alternatives out there. If not too difficult would you mind briefly going over your 3dC workflow steps, esp with the normal map baking - I'd highly appreciate that!

• Advanced Member
I think it's looking good, just the nose-eye sharp angles that stic out to me. Bit hard to describe but its not fleshy enough?

it's nice to see things here like the in-blender-game-engine shot. I've been looking over Unity lately and this was a good reminder that there are free alternatives out there. If not too difficult would you mind briefly going over your 3dC workflow steps, esp with the normal map baking - I'd highly appreciate that!

Well it's the most basic and simplest approach probably. I just sculpt something in voxels. Then goto the retopo room and make a retopo mesh. Make seams, unwrap it. Then use the "Merge for per pixel painting and normal map" option from the Retopo menu bar. Then paint it in the paint room.