3DCoat Forums

Better Brush Blending/Smear

rshellin

I'm learning 3D Coat and texturing, and I think it's an amazing program. I do see some improvements that need to be made with the brush engine. As it currently stands, I'm not able to do more stylized, hand-painted textures because of the lack of blending options. From what I've researched, the current blending tools only work on low-resolution meshes, and otherwise have barely any effect when I've tried to use them.

Here's what I would love to see added:

Pure blending

Like Photoshop's blend tools. The tool drags colors from the current position and mixes them with colors as it moves.

Blend while painting

This combines the action of putting down a color with the blend. Paint Tool Sai and Manga Studio 5 both have brushes like this. It allows you to put down one color, choose a new color, and then blend nicely between them, creating nice gradients and painting more like traditional oils. It makes painting digitally so much better.

It's also really nice to have some sliders to adjust the options on blending. Like, how much color is picked up, and how quickly blending occurs, along with options to tie the strength of these to brush sensitivity. In general, Manga Studio 5 has the best brush engine I've used. If you want something really robust with great UX and flexible results, reference Manga Studio 5 as much as possible. I can take some screenshots if that helps.

• Reputable Contributor

+++++++1...............

I hope that the 3DC development will look at updating the Paint Engine soon...

We need things like shown in the attached images... Not just alpha stamp limited but real brushes and blenders...

post-518-0-14417400-1454283511_thumb.png

post-518-0-73923100-1454283522_thumb.png

• Like 3