3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat V3 BETA2 for Linux

lINUX_Tux.svg.png

There you can download V3 BETA 2 for Linux

Both 32 and 64 bit versions available

www.3d-coat.com/~sergyi/3D-Coat-V3-BETA2.tar.gz

Several notes about possible problems:

If you have any visual issues (like solid white window on 3d-coat start up),

please set "System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects -> None".

For navigation you can use either "Super" ("Windows logo") or "Alt" key, but

for better experience please set "System -> Preferences -> Windows -> Movement key -> Super".

How to manage swap files under Linux.

Show your swap files with Terminal command

swapon -s

If the list is empty you should create swap file with Terminal commands

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=2000 (or whatever size you want in megabytes)

sudo mkswap /swapfile

sudo swapon /swapfile

To make swap file permanent

sudo gedit /etc/fstab

Add at the end of the file and save

/swapfile none swap sw 0 0

Hi Andrew

3d-coat appears to change the permissions of the .dmrc file and home folder after running the program. I need to reset the permissions every time after running the program.

The bugs I previously reported have been sorted. Thanks!!

Erik

p.s I purchased 3d-brush V2.10 back in october 2007. What will be the cost to upgrade to V3.0 for linux?

p.s I purchased 3d-brush V2.10 back in october 2007. What will be the cost to upgrade to V3.0 for linux?

I think 80$ - standard upgrade price V2->V3

General price notice:

V2(Win)->V3(Linux) 60-80$ (depends on purchasing date as usual)

V3(Win)->V3(Linux) 0$ but only if Win license will never be used since getting Linux license, win key will be disabled

V3(Win)->V3(Linux+Win) - 40$.

I think 80$ - standard upgrade price V2->V3

General price notice:

V2(Win)->V3(Linux) 60-80$ (depends on purchasing date as usual)

V3(Win)->V3(Linux) 0$ but only if Win license will never be used since getting Linux license, win key will be disabled

V3(Win)->V3(Linux+Win) - 40$.

Very fair! I will be upgrading to dual win/Linux. :)

Thanks Andrew,

I see it is not possible to order the Linux version via the website yet. Is it possible to get a serial number for the beta version for the time being?

regards

Erik

Hey there,

I hope so too!

A linux bug:

Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit

Opening an existing file (tried with 3 different files) that were created with 3DC in windows will not open, and the interface starts going haywire.

A request:

Is it possible to use the Right CTRL and ALT keys? Right SHIFT works.

I am left handed and it's a huge strain to use the left side of the keyboard like that.

PS- Huge thanks again for a Linux build. It's performance is actually WAY faster then the windows 64 build... :D

• Advanced Member
A request:

Is it possible to use the Right CTRL and ALT keys? Right SHIFT works.

I am left handed and it's a huge strain to use the left side of the keyboard like that.

PS- Huge thanks again for a Linux build. It's performance is actually WAY faster then the windows 64 build... :D

for reals?

too bad I'm not good enough at Linux to get my tablet to work but I'll boot into it really fast to check it out for myself

dang looking at Andrew's post I remember how much I don't know about Linux even though it's installed on here. Let's see... I'm just curious anyone care to tell me how much of a speed difference there is in Linux vs Windows. I'm probably not going to take the time to try to set all of that up being a Linux noob unless I know it's worth it. Last time I installed Linux and it took me a lot of tries to do it for the sake of blender sculpting back before I knew about 3d Coat only to find out there there wasn't much difference ...

• Applink Developer

Yep! right ctrl + alt would be nice to have. also the smaller enter button dosen't work and I'm using that quite a lot when setting number parameters.

kay_eva: You can try to install ubuntu 9.04. Your wacom tablet will work in there and you don't have do anything. Problem right now is that I'm not able to get it work in 3d-coat.

In gimp it works but not in 3d-coat. About speed it is good already. I will do some testing later when linux version is released.

Oh yes, I had forgotten about that, thanks haikalle. The numerical enter key is essential too. I use it quite often.

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 as well, as haikalle said, Ubuntu supports it right out of the box, GIMP works, but 3DC doesn't. However, I think this might help with that, I found this resource invaluable:

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/

Also here is some general information about Ubuntu with a Wacom from the Ubuntu 9.04 FAQ:

Wacom tablet hotplugging

Wacom tablets now are enabled automatically when attached, no longer requiring xorg.conf modification. Button mapping configuration is not yet supported, but can be set manually by adding an fdi file to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/.

So the keys buttons, but are not correct (coming from windows), they are backwards (again compared to windows), and you cannot customize them.

haikalle

geothefaust

About problems with “Right Control”, “Right Alt” and “Numerical Enter” under Ubuntu 9.04 you were right… Moreover, for some weird circumstances hardware codes in Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04 are different for “Insert”, “Home”, “Page Up”, “Delete”, “End”, “Page Down”, “Left”, “Right”, “Up”, “Down”, and “Numerical Divide” keys. Uploaded RC3 version contains appropriate fix. Thank you!

haikalle

geothefaust

RC3 has been updated again recently. This time it contains fix that enables 3d-coat to use Wacom tablet under Linux Ubuntu 9.04 out of the box, i.e. w/o “xorg.conf” file modification.

kay_Eva

Don’t be afraid of Linux. Latest version of Linux Ubuntu is absolutely amazing. Drivers are installed automatically through Internet. Updates are also automatic. This is OS for which productivity, stability, maintenance-free ability, and efficiency in accessing and using user’s applications are in the first place. Frankly speaking, tuned Windows XP also has those abilities, but in Linux Ubuntu you get all those out of the box.

hi running Ubuntu 9.04 64

I have a bug- while mesh painting 3d coats title bar flickers. After mesh painting for some time while the 3d coat title is flicking 3d coat crashes.

Some times the program crashes for no apparent reason.

This is awesome news. I did make some tests on my computer and was amazed. I think the performance is better than on windows on my machine...I was able to sculpt this in 3 hours, and do the retopo in about 1.5 hours, than had trouble with right projection(around mouth and ears)into high-poly mesh for texturing and finishing(8 hours or so without being really perfect :) ), texturing took about 1.5 hours,the rest in blender(shaders, hair, light, displacement map baking and corrections)took about 5. Uv was done in blender, after I gave up trying to do it in 3d-coat, I had it within few minutes in blender.

During this process it crashed quite often, but usually during complicated operations, like micro poly projection or some auto uv attempts...overall I am very satisfied, but still have to figure out how to do the conversions better. Also, there were problems with symmetry not being perfect. In voxelsculpt it was quite easy to correct(with symm copy), but I didn't know how to do that in painting/sculpting modes. There were more little buggies, but I believe they are similar to other platforms, so won't write all of them here...

Forgot about another problem, which was rather big - no tablet pressure. I have ubuntu 8.10 which uses some kind of auto confing for wacoms. The pressure works for me in gimp and inkscape, but not in 3d-coat or blender. I'm not sure if this is issue on ubuntu 9.04, since I think they changed something again about this.

hlavonozec_makingof.png

hlavonozec0001.jpg

Thanks for your report! Please download RC3 which has been updated today. If you still will not be able to use eraser and pressure features of the tablet, please post here and attach “Log.txt” file from the 3d-coat root folder. Maybe it will be possible to figure out the problem.

• 2 years later...