3DCoat Forums

3dioot's sketchbook

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Been a while since ive posted in here.

Doodled this one together over the span of two evenings. Since he wont make an appearance in my vids (not planned anyway) i thought id post him here.

post-949-1245598421_thumb.jpg

Ciao

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Interesting workshop going on at cgsculpt at the moment. First topic is the nose.

cgsculpt

The person running the workshop has also put a free skull model online for participants to practice on.

This is what ive created after his example.

post-949-1245877045_thumb.jpg

Next up is a more natural nose.

3dioot

• Contributor

Some inspiring work here very nice stuff!

The Male Head sculpt is nice but i feel the eyes are a little flat and forward. maybe a little too wide apart difficult to tell at the moment. Frontal shot? though it might be the perspective of view that you talk about!

• Advanced Member

@ Tree321

Thankyou. Happy to see you drop into my sketchbook. :)

@ Jake_H

Thankyou. :)

@ LJB

Thankyou very much. I think your right about the eyes. I keep promising myself ill put in sphere's next time to avoid the flat eyes look but when im sculpting i just tend to go with the flow and dont want to bother. I assume your are talking about the smiling man right? Because the male sculpt above that is from quite a while ago (and he definitely has really flat eyes) ^_^

3dioot

• Contributor
@ Tree321

Thankyou. Happy to see you drop into my sketchbook. :)

@ Jake_H

Thankyou. :)

@ LJB

Thankyou very much. I think your right about the eyes. I keep promising myself ill put in sphere's next time to avoid the flat eyes look but when im sculpting i just tend to go with the flow and dont want to bother. I assume your are talking about the smiling man right? Because the male sculpt above that is from quite a while ago (and he definitely has really flat eyes) ^_^

3dioot

Ah I c, I was refering to the older head. The cheeky smile fellow does however have the flat eye issue. When and if masking is implimented then that will def' help when roughing in like that. The Sphere pen does work a treat though as long as you go deep enough with the socket.

The Nose is great and shows the correct nasal labial crease running round and under to the base of the nose. Nice sculpt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Just playing around. Styling stuff up and having fun.

post-949-1246727295_thumb.jpg

Look LJB, i put in seperate spheres for eyes. ;)

I finally found a course for portrait sculpting near me. Real resolutionless clay awaits me. Hurray! ^_^

3dioot

Just playing around. Styling stuff up and having fun.

post-949-1246727295_thumb.jpg

Look LJB, i put in seperate spheres for eyes. ;)

I finally found a course for portrait sculpting near me. Real resolutionless clay awaits me. Hurray! ^_^

3dioot

Very nice face-shape. Like it. Do you plan to continue with the model?

• Advanced Member

@ Taros

Thanks man. I dont really have plans to take him any further. It was a fun study/plaything. Perhaps good material for a little tutorial video if i want to show some tools or certain workflows.

@LBJ

Looks like something went wrong. I cant see your post anymore. Ill just type this as if it was still here. Thanks for the kind words and the great comment and paintover! Ive allready adjusted it and its exactly like you said. I can finally put in the iris shape without the head looking crosseyed (one way or the other). This is a problem i ran into before with another sculpt (dont think i posted that) and i spend ages trying to get the iris to look correct. So the tip is much appreciated. :)

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Thankyou for the kind comments. :)

I still have to register for the course. Once i do it will start halfway september and end in the beginning of december.

I found it at the "vrije academie in Den Haag".

http://www.vrijeacademie.org/

I just downloaded the workshops for this year and in there a course for portrait sculpture is offered. The course im thinking about is on page 28.

Its given by Willem speekenbrink. Ive tried to look up work made by students but cant find any on the site. The only works i could find from Willem Speekenbrink are, in my opinion, some very ugly abstract works. So i dont know yet wether this course is really worth the money but ill be contacting them soon to find out.

-------

As far as my sculpting improving. Im trying to use 3dcoat really as a clay sketchbook. Low resolution. Just focussing on the main forms and trying stuff out (which its great for). I still have a long way to go though. ;)

I really like to be able to sculpt like this one day and i hope the course will help me with that (plus i think its awesome to actually physically have a statue)

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Don't know, if you don't like the teacher, why attend?

The CGsculpt workshop online looks great. But sculpting in real materials would be a very worthwhile investment , if you find the right teachers. Did you check Wackers academy too?

The approach of the lowres blocking out seems to work miracles with you, prolly the right approach for study.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

I took Ceramics and sculpting a few years back, most of what i do is based on self learnt skills and study, all though the actual clay is fun and will spur ideas! go for it i say!!

• Advanced Member

@ Tree321

Thankyou for your kind comments.

Im currently not very focussed on releasing new promo or learning material for 3dcoat for various reasons (one being i should spend more time relaxing outside). ^_^

Im certain that as 3dcoat develops ill become so enthusiastic again ill make some new vids but for now im doing my best to take a little distance from it all (with varying succes).

I will keep sculpting off course and am very chuffed with your comment. I hope clay clicks with me; it would be great if i could seperate my hobby from the screen especially at this time of the year.

@ Spacepainter

True; but then again its probably not fair to judge him only by the content online. He was recommended to me by a friends friend of mine. (hmmm that doesnt sound very convincing does it?) ;)

I did check out Wackers academy. They seem to be quite a bit more expensive. Thankyou for the information though. The more options i have the better.

As far as the low res blocking out. It is what most great artists say. Focus on the big shapes. I guess i had to be forced through technology constraints before i "got it". :P

@ LJB

Thankyou and i will! If i have a good time and can better my art its good enough for me. I am self taught as well. I hope getting tutored will give way to faster learning since i learn alot from other people anyway (like you explaining my outside facing eyes).

3dioot