3DCoat Forums

Taros doodles

Taros

• Contributor
I found a solution for my problems:

I will export my 3DC-object into softimage and rig it there and make the right pose. Then I will reimport it as a voxel object to sculpt details.

I have made some tests and the results are very good.

So, let's see.

Regards

Chris

Nice. XSI user myself. Notice how with fond memory i still call it XSI LOL.

Nice. XSI user myself. Notice how with fond memory i still call it XSI LOL.

Yes, that's really funny. The same happens to me, when I am writing or speaking about XSI. Very often I say "XSI" and not softimage... :drinks:

Congratulations! :)

Centaur very nice! Maybe you should wear something like bow, quiver and a shoulder strap on him? It would be great!

Thanx Tinker. I am on the way. I plan more then this, but this means: There is a lot of work in front of me. And the last pose is not final. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Hi Chris,

Looking at your centaur for a little while and have a little advice on the pose to maybe stop him looking so rigid, Try and carry the the arm pose down into the torso further , Pulling back of the shoulders does not seems to affect the pectoral at all, Maybe try string the twristing motion further down the creatures body, and bring that twist down into the legs the legs have no dynamic currently and that makes him look very symetrical, I know its a pain woth the pose tool like it is, Awith all the hand touch up. Please continue though Nice character. :D

Hi Chris,

Looking at your centaur for a little while and have a little advice on the pose to maybe stop him looking so rigid, Try and carry the the arm pose down into the torso further , Pulling back of the shoulders does not seems to affect the pectoral at all, Maybe try string the twristing motion further down the creatures body, and bring that twist down into the legs the legs have no dynamic currently and that makes him look very symetrical, I know its a pain woth the pose tool like it is, Awith all the hand touch up. Please continue though Nice character. :D

"Unfortunately" I have some important jobs to do, currently. As soon as I've more time I will continue with the project. I've made some adjustemets already, but they are not yet finished. Thank you for the proposals.

Following a wip status. Still much to rigid. (As described: Really(!) not yet finished.) :)

Be creative

Chris

post-955-1248774322_thumb.jpg

I think the weight would feel better shifted to the other front leg.

I have a exactly imagination of the final pose. And this one is "far" away from the final. :) So please be patient, the final result should (nearly)everyone like. ;)

All that I can say is: The final one will be more dramatic, the character will stay on his hind legs and give the feeling of a defensive, strong action pose. This is my plan... the biggest problem are the posing tools in 3DC and I am switching in mind, between the question: posing in 3DC or in softimage?

The problem is, posing needs a plan in mind or on paper. And this one have no paper plan... so I need a possibility to "try poses", actually. But 3DC currently gives no possibilities to try poses. :(

I have the feeling, at the end I must draw a scetch with very basic details for the whole scene to plan the poses and the positions.

I really like this sculpt. Nice work Taros! I can't wait to see the final pose you come up with. :good:

As for testing poses, you could always save out new files for each pose. Then you always have the default to revert back to.

A short experiment: Done in 20 minutes (I looked on the clock...)

:)

Painted the shiluettes first, and then used them in 3DC.

Without the sketch tool, impossible in this short time. That is what I call "speedculpting"... ;)

post-955-1248956924_thumb.jpg

post-955-1248956929_thumb.jpg

Incredible... I love 3DC... ok, I love my wife more. ;)

EDIT: By the way: I needed only about 90 minutes to retopo the model and make unwrap, all in 3d coat. Really impressive. I was so enthused about the easy way to produce normals maps out of 3dcoat and move them to softimage, so I started to retopo my model for a test. This is the result. :)

post-955-1249065717_thumb.jpg

Hey,looks nice in Softimage.Can't wait to see it posed and textured the way you envisioned it :)

Keep on!

Me too... :) First I have to finish all the details. As I mentioned it is not really easy to pose the model. This is one reason, why I am a little bit demotivated. Just now I am sitting an my notebook and not at my workstation. I enjoy my weekend without the workstation in front of me. :) Next week is full of work, but I hope I can continue soon with the windrunner charakter.

I know it is always "hard" for the "audience" to wait for new results, but I keep on going. For shure. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I hear ya on the res thingy Taros... With voxels, one of the big disadvantages is not being able to go back to a lower res and do gross edits and have the detailing on the high res match it as close as possible. So the workflow becomes somewhat linear instead of bi-linear. You have to plan the pose or the coarser details at the very beginning, which is more like real world sculpting actually. Maybe one method could be to store different resolution inside specified slots under a voxel layer, and their volumes could be inter connected, that way you could get back to a lower res slot you created earlier on, edit it and when you get back to the highest res slot under the same voxel layer, you could find the highest res to have followed it... Maybe :) Andrew will probably come up with a solution/workaround in the upcoming releases. Right now, for me at least, the only solution is to save out res milestones of the model I'm working on. Which helps only a little if the client asks for gross changes along the way...

Btw, awesome sculpture of the ape man :) I just love it, great work.

Cheers;

AJ

Thank you for the kind words.

Nevertheless, a good posing tool would help a lot. It is true, that currently we have to plan the model in detail before begin with skulpting. But let be seriuos: Which professional project starts without plans like scetches f.e.? I don't know much. - Ok, there are some, but not much. ;)

Be creative

Chris

• Contributor
Thank you for the kind words.

Nevertheless, a good posing tool would help a lot.

Be creative

Chris

Dear Chris, I have discovered (in another thread) that incessant demands for new tools is misdirecting Andrew from the more legitimate pursuit of perfecting what is already available. I'm a fence sitter in this debate (being a hobbiest and a "fanboy", I'm easy to please), but I see that it is possible for a proffessional to be of two minds on the subject. :huh:

• Advanced Member
A short experiment: Done in 20 minutes (I looked on the clock...)

:)

Painted the shiluettes first, and then used them in 3DC.

Without the sketch tool, impossible in this short time. That is what I call "speedculpting"... ;)

Hey, that's a great way to start a violin. Very nice feature, this sketchtool.

Dear Chris, I have discovered (in another thread) that incessant demands for new tools is misdirecting Andrew from the more legitimate pursuit of perfecting what is already available. I'm a fence sitter in this debate (being a hobbiest and a "fanboy", I'm easy to please), but I see that it is possible for a proffessional to be of two minds on the subject. :huh:

First I wrote, that I have the time to wait for new features, if I will get a better existing tool instead. Second I wrote that it is important to optimize the current version. And in the current version the integrated pose tool is far from good and should be optimized. For me this is not a wish for a completely new feature, it is the wish to help to make the current implementation better. :)

@spacepainter & Jake_H: Thanx. :)

• 2 months later...

Though there is no news for my windrunner charakter, but I used him for my first custom shader experiment in 3DC. Nothing special, but I am missing a "cool" skin shader in 3DC like this one. I think, I will publish this shader, together with one or two more similar, soon.

shadertest1.jpg

• Advanced Member

Great models and modeling skills !

(the front leg can't bend like that, or it is me that don't know horse anatomy ? )

Well that's true that 3D Coat voxels asks lot of memory (Zbrush have also limits) !

The problem , even with one resolution increase in 3D Coat, you must use more little brushes;

if not it is too slow.

Yeah possibility to switch between resolution, would be a solution indeed :

we could go back to low resolution change shapes and go back to high resolution to change fine tunned details !