3DCoat Forums

Spike Runner game...export PBR to vray

zFarm

Hey.. wow so i downloaded the new 4.5 demo. I haven't use 3d coat so this is my first attempt. I built the bike in max but did all the painting in 3dc. I've been painting textures professionally for yrs... I started as a full time tex artist on Shrek2 and have used just about every software in the industry. Once I started getting the paint on the engines I was sold!! This is for a VR game Im pitching called Spike runner. Basic Star Wars universe game. You're on the edge of a forgotten planet just trying to scrape out a living as a bounty hunter when you fall into a conspiracy/mystery much bigger that you could imagine. 

Anyway.. Im trying to export this out to 3dsmax and vray and was wondering if anyone knows how to set that up.. that way I can put it back together. 

spike_01.jpg

• Like 4

• Contributor

Really like your work , well done.

I am working at 3 dk2  vr experiences at the moment and i am telling you this will look AAA on VR.

For 3ds max and vray you need to take the gloss / color specular road.

So , its Textures , Textures Import / Export workflow and select  gloss / color specular.

• Contributor

Very nice job with the textures and the model!

Just keep your eyes peeled for those blasted Ewoks. :)

For 3ds max and vray you need to take the gloss / color specular road.

Same thing with vanilla version of Mantra Surface Shader. It would seem that path-tracers are biased towards this particular PBR workflow. ;) Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for the feedback.!! .. I'm still kind of new to this part of setting up shaders. Hmm ..not quite setting this up right. I exported all the maps to begin with

color,

curvature,

metalness,

normal,

roughness.. couldn't find a suitable vray or mental ray material. 

then took your advice and just output

gloss,

rough,

normal

color

but couldn't reproduce the right surface with what if gave me. I didn't see a "Mantra" shader anywhere for Max.. any Idea's on where to plug those in. 

Maybe I'll try MR. 

sp_tmprender_01.jpg

• Contributor

Hey guys, there is a thread about this exact topic going on the Polycount forum. Although they are talking about maps generated from Allegorithmic's Substance Designer, this setup works the same for maps created by 3D-Coat. There is an example there showing the proper setup for Vray as well as other renderers.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155524

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah....this whole PBR fad is largely derived from game engines and it has it's own quirky way of using different maps. So, it makes it more of a fuss/mess trying to get the right maps into standard 3D apps/renders. I've never seen a METALNESS channel/map in Vray. There is a roughness channel, IIRC, in standard VRay materials, but I don't know if plugging a roughness map from 3D Coat will look the same when applied to that channel in VRay. I asked Andrew several weeks ago if he would make a guide to exporting PBR materials to standard 3D renders. He said he put Davyd, the guy who helped him create the smart materials, on it, so hopefully something comes of that before long.

• Contributor

If you dont like the new PBR system, then dont use it. But please dont give stupid answerd like that.

It is not the fault of the game engines or the pbr system that the common renders cant handle it.

Anyway, take a look at this.

It explain it very well how you could use that quirky textures. ;)

Wow!.. is substance painter this easy to set up UVs and paint..i.e get nice wear/dirt around the edges and cavities??. I was thinking this morning how many hours Ive spent laying out UVs and painting stains/ warn edges and dirt.. now there is a button for that! Good work Kowalski!

Thanks for you help guys this is starting to work a bit better now. 

sp_tmprender_02.jpg

• Like 2

• Contributor

Wow!.. is substance painter this easy to set up UVs and paint..i.e get nice wear/dirt around the edges and cavities??

I think you mean 3D-Coat, not Substance Painter! 3D-Coat has fast (and easy to use) tools for making UVs!

No I mean Substance painter.. I've never used it. What I'm saying is 3d-coat was super easy to start painting and setting up materials/UV. I just wondered if the learning curve and results were as easy in substance painter.. Thats one thing that really attracted me to 3d coat is that fact that its pretty straight forward when it came to tools and learning. Despite that its a very deep package almost everything is labeled and has popup help. My only confusion is really when its best to use Vox or surface modeling. Wish there was a quick best practices workflow vid on that.. 

• Contributor

No I mean Substance painter.. I've never used it. What I'm saying is 3d-coat was super easy to start painting and setting up materials/UV. I just wondered if the learning curve and results were as easy in substance painter.. Thats one thing that really attracted me to 3d coat is that fact that its pretty straight forward when it came to tools and learning. Despite that its a very deep package almost everything is labeled and has popup help. My only confusion is really when its best to use Vox or surface modeling. Wish there was a quick best practices workflow vid on that..

Oh I see what you mean now. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Yeah I feel like 3D-Coat is an all around very easy to use and artist-friendly tool. Of course, like any 3D app, it does have its limitations though, but it is still one of my favorite apps to work in!

About voxel vs. surface mode:

Generally most people use voxel to build the base structure of things, and then use surface to add detail and finish it off. But on the other hand, some people never use voxel, while others exclusively use it. It does have a lot to do with personal preference. Booleans seem to work better in voxel mode. The more you use each mode, you will start to see which mode is best for what you need to accomplish.

I hope that helps!

BTW, your 3D model and paint job is looking great so far!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Wow!.. is substance painter this easy to set up UVs and paint..i.e get nice wear/dirt around the edges and cavities??. I was thinking this morning how many hours Ive spent laying out UVs and painting stains/ warn edges and dirt.. now there is a button for that! Good work Kowalski!

Thanks for you help guys this is starting to work a bit better now. 

sp_tmprender_02.jpg

Wow, this is great!  Did you render this in Max using the maps exported from 3D Coat?

Also, I made a video a while back that speaks to the strengths and weaknesses of voxel mode and surface mode in 3d coat that might give you a good base to work from.

I hope that helps!

-G

• Reputable Contributor

If you dont like the new PBR system, then dont use it. But please dont give stupid answerd like that.

It is not the fault of the game engines or the pbr system that the common renders cant handle it.

Anyway, take a look at this.

It explain it very well how you could use that quirky textures. ;)

Stupid remark, eh? Instead of returning fire with the same kind of inflammatory remarks, I'll just say this. What I said was 100% accurate and you read more into my post than what was there. I said BECAUSE PBR was DESIGNED for game engines and not for render engines in standard 3D apps, it is a bit of a fuss trying to translate the different map types that come out it, into standard 3D renderers. I never said it was lame or useless. Far from it. I really like what it has done for 3D Coat, but, to those who do not work with game engines, it is indeed quirky...which is another way of saying it's UNCONVENTIONAL.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quirk

;)

• Reputable Contributor

And since 3D Coat isn't an app designed to cater just to the Game market, whatever maps that come out of 4.5 (with the new PBR tech) it should be made very clear to each user what maps they need to generate on export, for 3D Render engines and what maps need to be generated for Game Engines, because they are quite different and no such clarification has been made thus far. The user shouldn't have to go prowling through some forum thread on PolyCount, in order to find out this requisite information.

• Contributor

Come on AbnRager.

You wrote it is a quircky and a fuss/messy way to work with it in common renders. Maybe thats true, i have no problems in Cycles with that.

TimmyZDesign and i show you a way how you could work with that textures in your common renders.

If you dont accapt that help it is your problem.

• Reputable Contributor

Come on AbnRager.

You wrote it is a quircky and a fuss/messy way to work with it in common renders. Maybe thats true, i have no problems in Cycles with that.

TimmyZDesign and i show you a way how you could work with that textures in your common renders.

If you dont accapt that help it is your problem.

You pointed to a thread on some obscure (to new users) forum that discusses how maps coming out of ANOTHER APP might work in some 3D renderers. There is no clearly defined method from 3D Coat/Pilgway, how to handle the export of it's maps to 3D Renders....and thus it is indeed quirky and a bit of a fuss for a new users and people who aren't familiar with Substance Painter, dDo or Marmoset and PBR. It's new tech many are still very new to.

Hey gbball.. yes I did render that in max with vray. It was a bit of a process but got a pretty good result. I've been working to much to do another pass.

As far as the evolution of PBR I'm not sure. I do know its been in the works on both sides for while.. maybe not under the specific PBR. Neil Blevins has some good posts about the fundimentals.

Anyway it would be nice to have a specific workflow or even some presets in applink.. I havn't dug into it to much.

• Reputable Contributor

You are a funny guy AbnRager.

Obscure Forum :D

Yeah maybe every forum is obscure to new users, like this one too.

It's obscure to most new users to 3D Coat. Why so hyper sensitive about software? You take it so personal. Lighten up a little. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

@zFram:

You can paint on cavity in 3D-Coat automatically. Just calculate the curvature before painting and use the "More on convex" mode. You will find it in the top menu row.

If you don't want to paint it by hand just fill the layer and all cavity elements will be painted at once.

By the way: Nice work.

Regards

Chris

post-955-0-65528800-1442931211_thumb.gif