3DCoat Forums

Voxel sculpting in Houdini? Open VDB Painting by Dave Fuhrer

• Advanced Member

https://twitter.com/microbot23/status/698990762529320964

mbPainter Demo 2.0 - Tested out if #OpenVDB could be used for Sculpting stuff. Just a Demo. But i think its doable. 

Here, follow the dude's twitter account

https://twitter.com/microbot23

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Contributor

I'm not sure why anyone would want to use VDB in Houdini for sculpting. I worked with VDB and it's very slow - completely incomparable to 3D-Coat's voxel sculpting.

VDB in Houdini has its uses, but IMHO sculpting it's not one of them. It's way faster to export a mesh to 3D-Coat, sculpt it (either in voxels or surface modes), and import it back to Houdini for conversion to VDB. I did this more than once.

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

I'm not sure why anyone would want to use VDB in Houdini for sculpting. I worked with VDB and it's very slow - completely incomparable to 3D-Coat's voxel sculpting.

VDB in Houdini has its uses, but IMHO sculpting it's not one of them. It's way faster to export a mesh to 3D-Coat, sculpt it (either in voxels or surface modes), and import it back to Houdini for conversion to VDB. I did this more than once.

All too obvious but still it's worthy of attention. This is the only other attempt I've seen to use voxels for sculpting other than Andrew's 3d Coat and so I thought it was of great interest. When I first understood what OpenVDB was about I immediately thought; "will someone sculpt with it like 3d Coat?"  Well, someone has. 

And let's not be too swift to dismiss Mr. Fuhrer's efforts, Just because Houdini is slow NOW, doesn't mean that it won't be fast in two or three years from now when the code is rewritten and machines are that much faster.

• Like 2