3DCoat Forums

Leigh's Sketchbook

LJB

Taros - Thanks for that But it's easier to just use the pose tool on the feather directly in 3d coat Create the feather in Modelling pakage and impot to Vox the I created a bunceh of feathers of a different scale and went though and put them on seperate layers then the pose tool can be used effectively on the singkle feather without madness.The trouble you then have is the Wing Voxel resolution if you add something small to a low resolution Voxel layer then you either get just a bunch of lines artifacting or you nothing at all so you have to increase the level of the vox layer enough for the feathers to actually merge to it correctly.

I guess vox' just isnt that great for Tiny little Feathers, just yet too many variables ( Currently with Little in the way of visual reference to Scale of Layer or resolution) to consider on large scale scuplts. Everything would have to go on its own seoperate layer and be independantly scaled down and Though I could see it as a future possibillity I just cant put down that kind of time to this. It all just becomes Unworkable, It like I said previously in this thread would just be far easier to render the Feathers using Splines and instances in XSI. Or you could make a plane and vox' it then use a mask with a wing texture to add detail. and tirm to size the pose away. Many way I think I may try that lats one ;)

Yes, I see. That's true.

I hope we will have a pose tool, like a lattice or something similar, in the future. This would help a lot to transform objects in 3DC. The best would be a lattice cage, that we can individually subdivide if required.

• Contributor

:thank_you:

Only thing up just lately is Seamless blending video. to illustrate new approach i use to blend different layers.

I have something else coming a different approach Got the idea looking at actual sculpting more closely. But I will Shut up for now.

• Advanced Member
Very nice as usual Leigh! :good:

Make that hair a little more wild looking and I think you'll almost have Albert Einstein there!

Hehe, he looks like the happy Old Snake who eats Big Mac everyday in his retirement life.

Nice Sculpting!

akira.

• Contributor
Hehe, he looks like the happy Old Snake who eats Big Mac everyday in his retirement life.

Nice Sculpting!

akira.

Ha he does look a little like Retired Snake, We could call him Jolly Snake, Yah MGS 60 here i come!!! :yahoo:

Thank you guys.

Looks awesome, but you know one thing I notice with every body's models? They lack sharpness, I've been having a bit of trouble with that my self. I'm spending a lot of time just trying to fix that lumpy surface.

• Advanced Member

After you transformed your model into poygons you could make sharp edges with all the tools available. Voxels rely on the handyness of the sculptor.

If you'd build from sharply defined primitives and use some booleans it might get real sharp though, with a higher resolution. Very thin things like eyelids or part of the ears remain tricky like in real sculpting.

• Contributor
Looks awesome, but you know one thing I notice with every body's models? They lack sharpness, I've been having a bit of trouble with that my self. I'm spending a lot of time just trying to fix that lumpy surface.

Yep what space painter says! The only thing ive even bothered to take to Near ZBrush detailing is the head somewhere on this thread and it took me so long at high level (which isnt very workable) its currently completely unviable for a full voxel workflow [Edit] for my work that is.

Every single model with voxels feels somehow blobby with the only way forward to combat this moving to higher resolution and increased perfomance of the brushes. Andrew is currently working through lists of Bugs and enhancements for the next prime update, I hope once he has finished these he will take a good long look at our discussion on improving voxel brushes.

SO currently its great for quick prototype to retop, but that is really as far as I can work at the moment.

Voxels are a great fun sketching medium, especially to explore possible ideas with cavities quickly, trying to build things like sinews can take a while when working in ZBrush true you can set out seperat tools and use ZSpheres but you just cant carve through entire volumes. That for me is the main draw currently keep it rough and ready and the brushes work in a predicatble managable way. Only when we try and detail that things fall apart.

• Contributor

Textureing on the other hand is perfect and I prefer it to both ZBrush and Mudbox. I used Mudbox almost exclusively til i started to explore 3D Coat Direct painting. Though Mudbox is great at UV space 3D Coat is way better. I always used to get a Seam jump when painting over a UV seam in mudbox. Nothing of the sort in 3DCoat. with better handelling of layers to texture painting feels very intuitve here.

• Advanced Member
SO currently its great for quick prototype to retop, but that is really as far as I can work at the moment.

Voxels are a great fun sketching medium, especially to explore possible ideas with cavities quickly, trying to build things like sinews can take a while when working in ZBrush true you can set out seperat tools and use ZSpheres but you just cant carve through entire volumes. That for me is the main draw currently keep it rough and ready and the brushes work in a predicatble managable way. Only when we try and detail that things fall apart.

That's exactly my thoughts. Actually, 3dc is great 'only' for building a shape in voxels, retopo, paint or detail a model in Pixel or micropolys. And that's already a LOT of things.

Zbrush 3.5 will allow you to extract Displacement and color maps from HD geometry. HD geo is a smart way to create subdiv models up to 1 billions polys by caching on disk details stored in HD mode, and to display/sculpt in HD only the area you want do detail. (You can also render in Zb the entire HD model)

On my previous Pc i bought in 2005 (Xp 32, 2 Gigs of ram) i sculpted and rendered in Zbrush a scene composed of 2 models : 1 of 20 Millions of polys, the other one of 40 Millions of polys. I was still able to edit, sculpt and pose a low rez version of each model.

• Contributor
I also agree with this.

3dcoat makes really easy and funny starting new shapes.

Doing full bodies it's so funny,the problem is the head.....it seems you never had the right amount of details.

btw,nice works LJB :) .

Deifnitely true. With increased levels taking acceptable performance so far from the realms of the actual, any detailing becomes ridiculous workflow of using either Stamp (3DCoats version of ZBrushes Drag rectangle stroke) at a small (and i mean small) radius. or painted single strokes, neither of these particularly useful at current allowed size and performance. I Have found i can split the volumes and get creative withe the overlap created and blend the two but its a far from ideal system. but it is currently the only form of localising areas of higher resolution. though note only the split tool has the overlap I have requested the overlap to be present in the convert Hide tool convert ot voxel layer.

Rimasson - Sounds great Maybe I will start more experimentation with the HD Tools in ZBRush. Until now i have never really needed to take things tha far.

Thank you All :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi Liegh

Looking forward to your facial sculpting workshop tommorrow with Kurve (Or today where you are) - Yay!!!I get to sneak into work at 4:30 AM in the morning to use thier bandwidth.

• Contributor
Hi Liegh

Looking forward to your facial sculpting workshop tommorrow with Kurve (Or today where you are) - Yay!!!I get to sneak into work at 4:30 AM in the morning to use thier bandwidth.

Hey Jake, I was just doing a practice run so this is what i'll be sculpting A little nervous but its my first Live workshop so I think once we get past the initial tester tomorrow I can relax a little.

See you Later!!! ;)

post-1266-1251244191_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Sorry for Completely unrelated 3D Coat piece But I wanted to say thanks to anyone that attended. I really enjoyed it. Here is what I finally came up with in the webinar. lasted 2hours 10mins. Really enjoyed it I must say I am pencilled in for some more including the much debated ZSpheres 2 coming in october please check Spinquad if interested.

post-1266-1251328163_thumb.png

Sorry for Completely unrelated 3D Coat piece But I wanted to say thanks to anyone that attended. I really enjoyed it. Here is what I finally came up with in the webinar. lasted 2hours 10mins. Really enjoyed it I must say I am pencilled in for some more including the much debated ZSpheres 2 coming in october please check Spinquad if interested.

Really nice result. This one looks really agile. :good:

Sorry for Completely unrelated 3D Coat piece But I wanted to say thanks to anyone that attended.

Actually I would like to thank you! Just before the end I had to go unfortunately, but I enjoyed every minute of your webinar

After seeing this and your other instructions on vimeo, I feel more inspired to make more efforts in trying to learn digital sculpting. Any books or other material you can recommend on learning anatomy?

Kind regards, Robert