3DCoat Forums

UV mapping by surface or sub-object?

popwfx

• Advanced Member

This is probably a dumb question, and even though I've been using 3DCoat for sometime - I clearly haven't been using it to it's fullest. And now that I am using it for other types of projects (lowpoly stuff for games etc), I need some more help filling in the holes in my 3DC knowledge. So thanks for your patience as I figure this out how to use it in a way I'm not as familiar with (and as usual - it's being learned during a project with a deadline :unsure: )

Anyway, I've got a lowpoly object consisting of several sub-meshes (i.e. non-connected geometry) and found that 3DC coat doesn't care about that and can't tell based on whether it is connected or not - ideally I'd like to be able to paint across non-connected geometry seamlessly. So I figured out that using LW layers in the object loads what 3DC calls sub-objects (so even though my game-engine requires them as 1 object - I guess I'll collapse the layers before exporting after UV & painting), but 3DC doesn't seem to care about LW surfaces or parts (either that or I have no idea where any panel is that lets me select them in 3DC)?

So I want to either:

A ) pull this multi-mesh/multi-layer object into 3DC for UV map creation - typically I'd like a UV map per mesh/sub-object, or by surface - then to save LWO object with the new UV maps and the textures.

or

B ) pull in a previously UV mapped multi-mesh/multi-layer object into 3DC and keep all UVs intact, and paint and create new/ modified textures to export.

My questions are:

1. How do I get 3DC to generate an automap UV for me for either each sub-object or LWO named surface (or collection of surfaces - ideally I would be able to group LW surfaces in the object to be used in one UV map). When I import for pixel painting, I only get 1 UV map auto made for me regardless of number of surfaces or sub-objects in the loaded model.
  2. If this is not possible, how do I get 3DC to create a new UV map? So assuming I'm not happy with the automap, and I mark up some seams, and then want to make a single UV for each sub object (so that I have enough res in 2048 to show detail) - where in the UI do I tell it to use the islands in each sub-object to create the separate UV maps?
  3. Workflow-wise - obviously I tend to model in quads, but the game-engine format requires triangles. I normally would UV map and texture in quads and then in LW triple the quads to tris and then export to FBX/OBJ/Ogre3D etc. But I've noticed distortions doing it that way. Is it better to triple before pulling into 3DC for the UV and painting steps?

thanks for your help!

post-2650-0-69584000-1353690612_thumb.pn

to paint across non-connected geometry seamlessly

Upper right there is a submenu

Connective Picking

select volume based

A ) pull this multi-mesh/multi-layer object into 3DC for UV map creation - typically I'd like a UV map per mesh/sub-object, or by surface - then to save LWO object with the new UV maps and the textures.

Import mesh for voxelizing to voxel room... select the option Merge without voxelizing

Then follow this post -is a little tedious-

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10741&view=findpost&p=83445

point B ) no idea, sorry... :blush:

im filling in the holes in my 3DC knowledge too :D

• Advanced Member

Nope- I just go to Import per pixel in the File menu.

I just watched the video and read the thread (I'm using LW 11.03 btw) and didn't really understand the benefit of the app link - it looks like it saves you a couple of clicks importing, but otherwise it's the same process.

Am I missing something? It doesn't really seem to help with multiple layer/mesh objects with multiple UV maps? Does 3DC support multiple uv maps on an imported object?

• Advanced Member

Thank you for replying. Perhaps I should post in the General or another subforum as it appears the New Users one aren't as frequented as other sub forums. Many of my questions remain unanswered from my posts - maybe it's my cologne ;-)

I found your instructions a bit hard to follow as in this case I absolutely do not want to sculpt, voxel model, or retopo in 3DC, I just want to use it for its painting and UV map creation tools. But I did notice you called the object materials popup = surfaces. I didn't get that from their terminology so I missed that popup. I'll check there and see if that helps. However the 3DC import still only offers to create 1 single UV and I want several - either per mesh or per surface. The import dialog only shows the 1?

I do appreciate your help though! (and anyone else who is kind enough to chime in ;-) )

I just want to use it for its painting and UV map creation tools.

I used to do

File -import retopo mesh-

The object is showed at Retopo Room, where you can make an UVset

Retopo room let you to make UVset like UV room

After you finish unwrapping... use -from top menu-

Retopo -> Merge options

When the process finish, the model appears at paint Room

------------------

addendum:

UV room and Paint room are synchronized.

Go to UV room if you need to tweak the UVset...

Remember to use restoreUV to refresh the model from Paint room

And to Apply UVset if you make any changes to the UVset.

Hope it help

For the UV map naming problem you're having, if you're using File>Merge, you'll be prompted to name and select the size of the image for each UV map contained in the file, you should name them each uniquely.

For export... 3DC will combine several materials into single uv-set and you will get correct number of output textures.