3DCoat Forums

animal sculpt primitive

benk

• Advanced Member

Here are a couple of quick renders of the canine skeletal prim altered with pose, transform and move tools to an equine skeletal primitive.

bk

post-38932-0-09928700-1431031465_thumb.p

post-38932-0-15201900-1431031468_thumb.p

post-38932-0-03698900-1431031471_thumb.p

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

Here are a couple WIP images of a horse sculpt using the bone prim from last post.

bk

post-38932-0-87597300-1431632620_thumb.p

post-38932-0-83166700-1431632623_thumb.p

post-38932-0-32064300-1431632626_thumb.p

• Like 4

• Advanced Member

Not done any computer sculpts of equine pelvis but have made plastic and metal models of equine and bovine back quarters for use as dystocia (medical term for difficult birth) simulators. The geometry of the pelvic inlet and walls are quite important in large animal clinical practice. Maybe someday I will need to make a dystocia animation and will try to sculpt one up then.

bk

• Advanced Member

Not done any computer sculpts of equine pelvis but have made plastic and metal models of equine and bovine back quarters for use as dystocia (medical term for difficult birth) simulators. The geometry of the pelvic inlet and walls are quite important in large animal clinical practice. Maybe someday I will need to make a dystocia animation and will try to sculpt one up then.

bk

Any photos you have of it would be welcome  :D

• Advanced Member

Attached is a zipped 3B file of a simple canine skeletal primitive that can be used as a sculpting base for other quadrupeds as well as a dog. There are very few parenting relations set up in the file as I found it easier to morph anatomic elements to represent various species without parenting. Muscle masses can be installed without too much difficulty with simple geometric primitives or by painting with the sphere or carve tools. I freely contribute this to the community to use however you wish with no licensing restrictions what so ever. Please let me know if others find it useful.

I have submitted this to Andrew as well in case it proves to be a useful asset.

bk

canine simple skeletal prim.3b.zip

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

I have been experimenting a bit with the horse sculpt and am trying to develop a technique for producing hair. Does anybody have any pointers or suggestions? I am laying down general voxel form with muscle tool, then in surface mode using gum tool and move tool with hair alphas. I would probably go back through the surface and attempt to randomly reduce detail and poly count with clean clay tool. Unfortunately as this is, I doubt I could merge it with the body form...too many self intersections for boolean operation I suspect.

Thanks for any suggestions.

bk

post-38932-0-50978900-1432089712_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

Horse a little farther along. Not real keen on what I have accomplished with bump map. Was looking for more hair like detail but maybe a 2K map is too low of resolution for the detail I was hoping to get. I will try it in Blender for hair. Otherwise might be useful for an OpenGL type project.

bk

post-38932-0-84998700-1432656807_thumb.p

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

After experimenting a bit more with this approach I am beginning to think a better tact that takes more advantage of voxels is to make animal part primitives that can be used as structural references for overlay sculpting as well as cut and paste ready made parts to add to meshes.

Attached is a mountain lion head example. Skull primitive is derived from a canine skull primitive. Just manipulating mesh with move tool to re proportion to big cat-ish geometry. Overlay sculpt of soft tissue using skull to control shape. Pardon the trite snarl composition but I just wanted to see how I might work out the soft tissue distortions in the face.

bk

post-38932-0-33123700-1449724198_thumb.p

post-38932-0-81931900-1449724226_thumb.p

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

Haven't found too much online Tony. Here are a couple. http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/3d-collection, http://www.digimorph.org/resources/STLs.phtml. Do you or others have additional links? I am considering making a bunch of skeletal primitives as well as various body parts but shouldn't bother if there are adequate downloadable resources.

Thanks,

bk

• Advanced Member

Please let me know how the prim works for you Ballistic_Tension. Please share your results and any critiques on the forum.

Thanks,

bk

• Advanced Member

Here is snarl sculpt a bit farther along.

bk

post-38932-0-70231600-1450130276_thumb.p

• Like 4

• Advanced Member

Here are a couple quick renders a little further along. Need to break symmetry and figure out some sort of hair approach.

bk

post-38932-0-54922000-1450470810_thumb.p

post-38932-0-97249200-1450470828_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

The eye is a bit of an experiment. I think the deformation you are referring to is due to the volume occupied by the cornea (not visible in the model). The only other part of the eye visible is the iris.

Here is a bit of a test with hairyness.

bk

post-38932-0-60591300-1450475999_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

Surface mode using the move tool with the "many spots" alpha and remove stretching enabled. Head surface poly count currently around 4 million, entire scene around 6 million. I just pull on the surface approximately along the normals. Minimize stretching adds polys as needed to approximate geometry. If detail doesn't come through I just rinse and repeat. I am kind of warming up to this technique as it is much quicker then using a particle system....which I used for the tongue papillae via Blender.

It looks pretty rough at this point....haven't quite figured out how to groom it. Any suggestions welcomed.

bk

• Advanced Member

More hairyness added. I attempted to render the cornea/anterior chamber as nearly transparent (using pbr shader adjusted to near transparent) with 100% gloss + or - 100% metalness to see if I can get the surface to come through. Didn't have much luck. Guess I will need to buy Michael's glass shader to make it work or attempt a render in Blender...although poly count is not to Blender's liking.

bk

post-38932-0-62098000-1450490198_thumb.p

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Another quick attempt to get some corneal surface definition. Not much success as it led to some black artifacts.

bk

post-38932-0-63676600-1450491460_thumb.p

Edited by benk

• Advanced Member

Some shader and hair adjustments.

bk

post-38932-0-93066000-1450559935_thumb.p

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Trying some PBR paint.

bk

post-38932-0-24330700-1450582780_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the comments Percevan and Tony. Fooling with it a bit more I have discovered the heavy fur texture works well for me in the paint room with "more concave or convex" activated to get the sort of agouti hair coat. Certainly faster than what I can do with particle system approach. Particle system is cleaner and more flexible and more realistic/naturalistic but the sculpted approach reminds me of things I have done in cast plastic. I certainly like the spontaneity of it. Even more so as I have never gotten a handle on using a particle system.

bk

post-38932-0-34219700-1450634399_thumb.p

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

This is a rough surface sculpt using the big cat mesh manipulated around a bear CT mesh. The CT mesh has been scaled to real world dimensions.

bk

post-38932-0-74195500-1451257254_thumb.p

post-38932-0-94685100-1451257285_thumb.p

• Like 2