3DCoat Forums

Surface tools lacking and need improvement?

LJB

• Contributor

Hi Andrew,

I long for a simple workflow from voxels that does not involve lengthy detail distructive conversion steps (Quadrandulation, retop) just to add a detail pass and I see the possibillities for this approach using the surface tools, but currently they are lacking in finesse and functionallity. For instance the stamp stroke only works with the Surface clay tool and this seems to be fixed to additive drawing (just try to employ pore detail and you get nothing more than a spiralling mess) so it really is impossible to take things to a crisper level using the Surface tools, but this workflow make a lot of sense to me.

The way I want to work with 3D coat is get my sculpt to a detailled level that im satisfied with, then retop, and bake then texture. currently I dont see a big advatage in using the surface tools over Voxel as thier functionallity is poor if they can be optimised then this forward moving workflow will be possible.

I do see that others on the forum suggest Quadrangulation as a step towards detailing and then on to Painting, but if i have alot of detail on the vox sculpt I find this a little distructive and I still see a lack off surface tool implimentation. I find painting displacement with the paint tools a little dirty (Does not feel like sculpting). If the suface tools worked half as well as the Voxel tools then this would be a hit. So maybe a little time on improving the surface tools would be a good investment.

Just my two pence. :)