3DCoat Forums

Wood ornament - first 3DC work

PixelDust

This is the first object I've finished in 3D-Coat - it's a wooden carved ornamental onlay with worn gold leaf. I did this project to learn the 3D-Coat to Modo workflow. I used 3D-Coat for the sculpting, autopo, UV, and painting, and exported to Modo 902 for rendering. I've also included a render from 3D-Coat for comparison (the second image). Big thanks to Javis Jones for his PBR shading rig for Modo.

post-3107-0-26686700-1453573653_thumb.pn

post-3107-0-78952700-1453573676_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• Contributor

Nice! Interesting that the 3DC render did a better job of hiding the 'shell' artifacts (little black dots) especially in the Modo render. Revisit the Retopo room and when exporting to Paint, fiddle with the parameters (watch a video).

• Like 1

Thanks for the comment! I'm not sure what you mean by "shell artifacts" - are those the larger black areas where the gold meets the wood? Also, do you have any specific video in mind for the export parameters? I've watched several videos on YouTube and am still trying to get the hang of it.

• Contributor

When you Bake, you get a popup that allows adjusting the inner and outer shells (for making Normal map and displacement), Basically, preview the inner shell and adjust the depth until no green patches (only seams should be visible) show through. In adjusting the outer shell, no model part should show through the mesh. There are exceptions to this scenario that involve more complex forms than yours but this should help. I expect our own AbnRanger will step in with a useful video.

Edited by Tony Nemo
  • Like 1

I decided to try it again, this time with a lower-polygon autopo and baking a normal map instead of a displacement. I also used a bigger distance for both the inner and outer shells for the baking. It looks much better, IMO.

The first thumbnail is the 3DC render, and the second is the Modo render. Thanks again for your help!

post-3107-0-04793500-1453599980_thumb.jppost-3107-0-53962200-1453602110_thumb.jp

Edited by PixelDust
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...