3DCoat Forums

Import to Modo problems.

Einherji

Go to solution Solved by Einherji,

Hello!

I have been playing around with modo just for funsies and I ran into a few problems after dragging a mesh through 3D coat.

First of all, the applink is severly outdated, did not find anything that even worked with modo 901-10.

So i exported stuff as OBJ as it does not take that much extra time really.

But...My mesh is made in 3ds max, then uv maped and painted in 3d coat and I drag it into modo for rendering, but I run into a funny problem.

During my painting i decided to add a better subdivided mesh of a set of pool balls to the scene, so i merged a new mesh with the scene that had higher subdiv.

Naturally, I had to merge UV sets as well, so I did that and deleted the unused uv set.

Did my painting done, imported into modo for render and bam..textures and everything seems to work in preview, but the pooltable balls only renders in white.

The only way around it was to delete all materials and apply them manually and that was more work than I would like to have in my workflow to be honest.

Also tried to drag the obj through 3ds max, also tried other extensions like fbx and lwo, but those produced more errors and the same result.

Funny thing though, in modo, the colors of the pool table balls seems to be bound to a shader object in the renderer, not sure why, but it was and I could not convert it to image material like the rest of the textures. Also inspected the UV 10.000 times to see if something was wrong after the intital merge, but no, the balls were there with color and everything, even marked them in the uv editor to make sure they showed up as islands in the right place.

I have never seen this before, but this lead me to think that I will probably need to rethink this workflow, it might be a bug though.

Seemed to render fine in 3ds max.

• Solution

Fixed it. The problem was that Specular values in modo were set to high. So I guess the high shine I added to the pool balls where to high on the specular levels, so obviously the import worked fine, but values were a little off. Adjusting it manually worked of course. This is why I was able to fix it by manually add textures. At least now I know that it was just the specular map at this time. My obvious lacking experience with modo did not help me either. :)

This is a common occurrence when exporting from 3DC, it sets the spec value very high and needs to be adjusted afterward in whatever tool you're exporting too. Glad you found the answer! :)