3DCoat Forums

Two requests .... Component/Object stringer and Shape Bender....... (sketchup plugins)

So yeah, Sketchup being one of my main tools till now, well..... its fantastic.... but its not very hand for producing files suitable for 3D print, very much, at this point I don't think, at least....

But its got some really sick plugins that poeple do, and one of my favourites is the Component Stringer, which is crazy....

Great for creating chains, or spine looking objects, but the choices are limitless!

Its basically a copy along path sort of thing, but in a more controlled way.....

ef926a6cf1ddc6c3.png

Here's the overview

You create an object or a number of objects, group them into one 'component' entity, create a curve, [start the plugin and] let the objects multiply along the curve.... 

you can define the amount of rotation and there are two ways of multiplication.... freeform and stretch, where the latter, as the name implies, gradually stretches/scales the component....

Sounds kind of trivial.... but it actually produces all sorts of crazy, random things, when you play with a bit....

What I love most about it, is that you can then edit and change the original component (or even when clicking on any one of the clones) and it automatically changes all of them.

I also like to get really crazy and string/multiply the multiplied 'strings' themselves, hah! Loadsa fun!

Sketchup, generally has fantastic plugins comming from poeple so yeah.... here's my request.....

Cheers,

Peter

post-40313-0-17637600-1459697480_thumb.j

post-40313-0-64952600-1459697489_thumb.j

post-40313-0-92748600-1459697494_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Contributor

Component Object Stringer:

In 3D-Coat use the Curve Tool. You can also create your own objects and then have them repeat over the length of the curve. Check out the Splines panel and the Models Panel. You put your custom objects in those panels, and then you can choose them for use in the Curve Tool.

Shape Bender:

In 3D-Coat use the Pose Tool. There are also lattices in the Tool Options for that tool. It is not exactly the same as your request, but very similar.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

These videos cover what TimmyZ was referring to:

Thank you so much for those!

the thing he does at the beggining....

Where he drags that part over to the Spline's window... what are the characteristics of that object?

I mean... I created/imported an image>mesh, but can not drag it there.... maybe I need to convert it into soemthing, or?

Cheers,

P

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you so much for those!

the thing he does at the beggining....

Where he drags that part over to the Spline's window... what are the characteristics of that object?

I mean... I created/imported an image>mesh, but can not drag it there.... maybe I need to convert it into soemthing, or?

Cheers,

P

You have to commit the object to a layer (by hitting the APPLY button in the Toll Options panel or the ENTER key). Then, on a Vox Tree layer, when you hover over the right side of the layer, you will see a MOVE icon. Click and drag that, to drag a layer in 3D Coat.

ya works but a specific tool to loft or string, would be less complicated. its proly not a good idea to include to many things into one tool, like pose or?

huh?

Component Object Stringer:

In 3D-Coat use the Curve Tool. You can also create your own objects and then have them repeat over the length of the curve. Check out the Splines panel and the Models Panel. You put your custom objects in those panels, and then you can choose them for use in the Curve Tool.

So can you use in imported eps/curve instead of those red spheres as a guideline for the objects? Or at least the native curves.....

It would way much more precise....

Edited by Seven Are They