3DCoat Forums

GeneralBrush in surface mode deforms the original mesh before adding detail. please help.

TLE

• Advanced Member

i merged in a box without voxelized it. the box has very low plygon number.

i used general brush and clicked on an edge to sculpt. the tool "smooth" out the edge before adding detail.

how can i add detail to the box without changing the shape of the box?

other way around this is increase the polygon of the box to very high before using the tool. However, it will change the whole purpose of the idea that can add very high detail mesh on top of very low res polygon.

Thanks

It depends on what you mean, exactly, by the word "detail".

If you want to maintain all of the characteristics of the original, imported box - then decorate the box with surface detail - you should import your object for "Per-pixel painting", and use the Paint Room tools to add Color, Specularity and Bump (mild displacement).

If you need much larger kinds of "detail" - try importing your mesh into "Voxel Surface Mode" where more extreme detail (more displacement) can be added - then merge the result into the Paint Room for further, finer detailing.

To import your mesh into "Surface Mode" - first open an empty Voxel scene, click the small cube icon to the left of the primary Layer in the "Layers panel", and select "Merge" from the "Objects" category of the "Tool Panel" on the left of the interface.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

i merged in a box without voxelized it. the box has very low plygon number.

i used general brush and clicked on an edge to sculpt. the tool "smooth" out the edge before adding detail.

how can i add detail to the box without changing the shape of the box?

other way around this is increase the polygon of the box to very high before using the tool. However, it will change the whole purpose of the idea that can add very high detail mesh on top of very low res polygon.

Thanks

Try first protecting the edges of the box with the freeze tool to paint a protecting mask - or reduce your brush size when you paint up against the edge.

Better still follow the gender unspecified advice of Spacepainter's great tip.

• Contributor

Ah come on, mate! "Not telling" invites curiousity and not necessarily of a prurient nature. And joking about nationality is not politically correct, as we all know. But making a stab at it in an international forum like this one only if it gets it's own forum. :)