3DCoat Forums

hey there,

I have asked a few times here and there and have not got a firm reply other than its a difficult process, so first of all i feel i have to mention that i don't mean to aggravate anyone by asking again about a 64 bit mac version.

so I would like to know, if possible, if we mac folk could get any date hint as to when a 64 bit version might be released ?

if its not expected for a long while thats cool, i am not grumbling, but it would be good to know that.

cheers

pete

• 2 weeks later...

hey there,

I have asked a few times here and there and have not got a firm reply other than its a difficult process, so first of all i feel i have to mention that i don't mean to aggravate anyone by asking again about a 64 bit mac version.

so I would like to know, if possible, if we mac folk could get any date hint as to when a 64 bit version might be released ?

if its not expected for a long while thats cool, i am not grumbling, but it would be good to know that.

cheers

pete

+1

I would like to know that too.

I don't understand what is difficult about 64 bit on OSX for 3d Coat.

Is it some used lib that are tricky to compile/link ?

You could talk to Jens Verwiebe who does 64 bit binaries of Lux Render OSX there...

He knows a lot about that.

Thanx for any addition.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I'd like to add my request for some kind of answer to this issue. 64-bit Mac 3DC would be quite welcome, esp. for those of us with well over 4GB of RAM and/or who run into limitations with complex models (who could then solve them by adding memory).

• Advanced Member
OSX 10.6.5

2x2.66 GHz 6-Core

26 GB 1333 Mhz

ATI Radeon HD 5870

Now, this isn't a decent configuration for 3dcoat. For the mac 32 bit build I mean. :drinks:

The good news are that I run 3dc zbrush Ps Groboto and safari the same time. No memory leaks now.

Michalis;

My system is primarily for 64bit Lightwave rendering, and I use 3dcoat for texturing.

I would love to texture in 64bit though.

And at the rate 3dCoat is growing, will probably be building my objects in it as well.

OSX 10.6.5

2x2.66 GHz 6-Core

26 GB 1333 Mhz

ATI Radeon HD 5870

• Reputable Contributor

Michalis;

My system is primarily for 64bit Lightwave rendering, and I use 3dcoat for texturing.

I would love to texture in 64bit though.

And at the rate 3dCoat is growing, will probably be building my objects in it as well.

OSX 10.6.5

2x2.66 GHz 6-Core

26 GB 1333 Mhz

ATI Radeon HD 5870

I don't do nearly as much modeling in Max lately. I really like the reverse modeling method in Voxels, especially any ornamental type of object. The logo tool + Autopo shaves work like that down to a fraction of the time.

I don't do nearly as much modeling in Max lately. I really like the reverse modeling method in Voxels, especially any ornamental type of object. The logo tool + Autopo shaves work like that down to a fraction of the time.

I am in the middle of a project at the time. This summer should afford me time to learn Voxel and Autopo modeling.

Thanks for the encouragement.

• Advanced Member

+1

:-( this has been over a year coming... so perhaps before 2012 this will come. I've stayed distant of the forums for the most part till this update is here for OSX 3DC; as 3DC cant even open the majority of the vox .3b files I've created in the same OSX builds(all 32-bit for now of course). I've gotten to a point with vox sculpting MANY times, in which I can save the vox object, but then cant open it again on 32-bit OSX 3DC, but of course I can in the 64-bit Windows builds, this makes 3DC a fun tool for sketching, and UV/Retopo for me, but not a serious tool for sculpting(for now). I cant wait for the day the 64-bit OSX build is realized, so I can get back into one of my truly favorite 3D tools :-).

I DO USE WINDOWS, but have to reinstall, and waste so much time virus checking/fixing, that I just end up on OSX for my creative work more often than not.(not too much linux for me as of late). Hours of downtime often enough on Windows add up over time, So on projects with set-timelines, I end up often using OSX for those jobs.

Until I can actually open the very same vox object I've created in 3DC(using the 32-bit mac builds), I have to keep 3DC in my hobby-tool pile for now(for vox sculpting only). Again, the PPP/UV/RETOPO is still top-notch IMO.

I understand Andrew is busy, and the mac audience is very-likely a low priority to Pilgway (IMO based on this issue being over a YEAR OLD & counting, due to his own words in his emails to me regarding this exact subject... as to when this would be finished and released). Thanks to Andrew & team for all the great updates in the mean time, 3DC is becoming a VERY mature toolset that I recommend often; though OFTEN having to tell the MANY mac users I recommend 3DC to about this MAJOR caveat. One day I will hopefully not have to tell each Mac user I recommend 3DC to about having to still choose another tool for hi-res 3d sculpting(Sculptris/ZBrush/etc). Not that I dont recommend an array of tools anyway(I use them all myself ;-)

• Advanced Member
Yeah...if I were a MAC user, I would be using something else for the lack of a 64bit version. It's an absolute necessity if you're doing any voxel sculpting work.

3-4GB just isn't going to get it.

As we say in greece Abnranger, you're dropping oil in fire. (olive oil is a base for us but sometimes :rofl: )

Another one, in the hanged mans house don't ask for a rope.

8)

• Reputable Contributor

As we say in greece Abnranger, you're dropping oil in fire. (olive oil is a base for us but sometimes :rofl: )

Another one, in the hanged mans house don't ask for a rope.

8)

Not doing anything but agreeing with what's been said here...I'd be very frustrated too.

• Advanced Member

this is a real bug/issue, not just a feature request!

As I, and other users cant even re-open the voxel models we've created in the same 32-bit OSX builds. This has caused me personally a massive amount of time lost, enough to justify my discontinuing hi-res voxel sculpting in 3DC completely(which I would rather not do, as 3DC is an awesome tool IMO!).

This is a REAL PROBLEM for a number of users, not a feature request. the 32bit builds should NOT be allowed to save files too large to reopen(without a warning at the least), or at least notify the users that this is about to occur(like photoshop 32bit used to do), so they can know when they'll never be able to touch their hours of work again. This is not a small issue, I have a folder full of sculpts I cant even open on the software I PAID TO CREATE THEM WITH, absurd; even photoshop 32bit used to tell me(years ago) that the file was going to be too big to reopen due to the memory limitation of the application. But then again, now I can use my 20gigs of ram in photshop, so.... ;-)

• Reputable Contributor

this is a real bug/issue, not just a feature request!

As I, and other users cant even re-open the voxel models we've created in the same 32-bit OSX builds. This has caused me personally a massive amount of time lost, enough to justify my discontinuing hi-res voxel sculpting in 3DC completely(which I would rather not do, as 3DC is an awesome tool IMO!).

This is a REAL PROBLEM for a number of users, not a feature request. the 32bit builds should NOT be allowed to save files too large to reopen(without a warning at the least), or at least notify the users that this is about to occur(like photoshop 32bit used to do), so they can know when they'll never be able to touch their hours of work again. This is not a small issue, I have a folder full of sculpts I cant even open on the software I PAID TO CREATE THEM WITH, absurd; even photoshop 32bit used to tell me(years ago) that the file was going to be too big to reopen due to the memory limitation of the application. But then again, now I can use my 20gigs of ram in photshop, so.... ;-)

Have you tried caching the layers (8x) before saving? I did that with my laptop before I added some RAM to make it 8GB's.

• Advanced Member

I'll try that @AbnRanger... that might for from here out, if it does.

Though the major issue for me are the many models I've created and cant re-open to even do such a trick on.

But I'll see if I can give that trick a try for future hi-res sculpting in 3DC OSX; though I'm pretty much in a wait till the 64Bit mode for anymore hi-res sculpting in 3DC OSX, so I can then actually(gasp ;-) re-open the voxel sculpts I've already created in 3DC(and currently cant re-open in 32Bit 3DC OSX, but of course I can when I try in 64Bit Win 3DC, ;-))

Hi

first i will say that it is not possible to make a not ready Program from a mostly stable 32 Bit Code to 64 Bit Code

Andrew can do that if 3d Coat run like design without Bugs (or without most Bugs) and with all Features he want to put in.

If he change the base to 64 bit than Bugs coms up thats normal but if the program self is in strong development like C3d

at this time the developers don't know it is a old Bug that was fixed in 32 bit hat coms now in 64 bit up or is it a new Bug if yes is it from

the code self or from new 64 bit mode and that will be very horror for the developer and mostly for us the users.

Best work is bring the program in 32 Bit mode to a stable code base than if all changes are done and 3 or 6 month no big bugs coms up

than freeze the code base and begin a new fork with 64 bit code all others is not usable for developers and for users it was a very strange time

if you can change between 32 bit and 64 bit you and the developers have a good chance to get the 64 bit fork same stable as the freeze 32 one.

greetings from germany

Andre

• Advanced Member

I'm fairly familiar with the details(and how stringent coding for a 64bit app is for things like threads and exceptions), but as a user of 3DC, I need the app to tell me when its saving a mesh that it cant reopen(in 32bit), just as photoshop has for years now, in a professional environment thats absolutely necessary. I'd use windows with 3DC if I didnt have so many issues with Windows(though I do like and use Win7 ). I just have too many lost culminated hours having to deal with Window based issues, that is why I opted to purchase 3DC for OSX, and just saw the first test build of the 64bit 3DC OSX code posted to the forum in another thread, so I'm psyched!, thanks Andrew & Team.

P.S. who is the OSX 3DC programmer/porter

• Advanced Member

and just saw the first test build of the 64bit 3DC OSX code posted to the forum in another thread

Just out of interest, which thread contained a test build of 3DC? All I could find was a build of an unrelated pgm using the same engine as 3DC OSX 64bit will apparently use.

• Advanced Member

I really do hope a 64-bit OSX version of 3D-Coat is coming soon, as I too am running into the problem of saving voxel files I can't then re-open. Currently it's difficult to know when you're even "getting close" to the point where things break (at least for me), so there's currently no easy way to take preventative steps to avoid the problem.

Right now, I can only use a fraction of my total memory (12GB) in 3DC, and I'd really like to use all of it. I can live without CUDA acceleration, but this memory situation is becoming a problem.

• Advanced Member

I really do hope a 64-bit OSX version of 3D-Coat is coming soon, as I too am running into the problem of saving voxel files I can't then re-open. Currently it's difficult to know when you're even "getting close" to the point where things break (at least for me), so there's currently no easy way to take preventative steps to avoid the problem.

Right now, I can only use a fraction of my total memory (12GB) in 3DC, and I'd really like to use all of it. I can live without CUDA acceleration, but this memory situation is becoming a problem.

First off, the thread I found that had a demo of the 64bit OSX engine, was just a troubleshooting thread(with some quick 3DC 64bit shell of some sorts), not an actual 64bit 3DC build :-(

You and I are experiencing an issue that for me is a major one in 32bit 3DC, if I cannot know when I'm about to save a vox sculpt that my particular(32bit) build wont be able to reopen, this is a sizable bug(& major flaw) in the app. I'm slightly encouraged to hear that 64bit OSX 3DC development continues, however, I heard the same thing over a year ago, so.... One day I might be able to re-open the many 3DC Vox sculpts that I created, hopefully before next year, as this has basically put the Vox room off limits for me till then, but has reinvigorated my appreciation for ZBrush & Blender(not that it needed reinvigoration ;-)

NOTE: no disrespect to Andrew and his efforts to keep the OSX builds up-to-date, I appreciate that greatly! I still swear by the retopo room, its the strongest in the industry IMO. And I do still create very low res sculpts in the vox room.. but nothing approaching the resolution I need in production, thus risking the issue with saving a sculpt I cant reopen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any update on the progress of the 64-bit Mac version?

Please when will 3D-Coat be 64 bit Mac?

If they can be 4 versions for windows, why can't Mac be 64bit by default, most Mac software are going 64bit.

My Sandy Bridge i7 quad core, sounds they are taking off!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Any chance we ca get a "Mac64 update channel" thread similar to the recent "Farsthary update channel" thread, where the dev occasionally gives brief status (perhaps, say, monthly)?

It'd just be nice to have a real sense of forward progress on this, as 32-bit constraints really are becoming one of the most intrusive issues facing 3DCoat on Mac. I, for one, am routinely encountering situations where I'm running into memory addressing limits, and it's beginning to really limit the work I'm able to do in 3DC. Having 2-3x the memory currently available to 3DC would give a huge boost to my productivity in 3DC. From the sounds of it, there are plenty of other Mac 3DC users in the same situation.