3DCoat Forums

Textures - Showcase & Feedback

tkaza

Hello 3Dcoater's

I've been having a blast texturing high poly models for a source engine (hl2) mod, Im pretty happy with the results but always looking for feedback on ways to improve.

The main issue ive encountered is lack of cavity / curvature map control for edges, the models are not my own and im not wanting to redo the guys work, just texture and bake out low polies, any thoughts on being able to tighten the curvature would be very helpful.

Anyway, on to the images, looking for feedback on metal texture and wear mostly, along with tips to improve these, might be worth noting these high poly models 200,000 poly+ are auto uved. And used to bake onto a lowpoly game ready mesh.

liberate.jpg

panz.jpg

webleymkiv.jpg

welrod.jpg

stenmk5.jpg

SW_M10_Render.jpg

Mauser_C96_Render.jpg

BHP_P35_Render.jpg

Edited by tkaza
  • Like 4

first, nice models AND paint job. well done! :)

(...) any thoughts on being able to tighten the curvature would be very helpful.

once you have set the painting condition, there are three settings (that I know of at least), that can have a big impact to get tight or wide, soft or sharp, fuzzy or clear "edge painting":

the most obvious: degree, which can be set (much) higher than 100% by the way (can be useful in some cases, and such "boost" can give interesting result when choosing a "less on..." option). first setting on the right of the condition at the top (when using nomal material painting).

next on the right again: 'contrast', positive or negative... the latter can be a better choice in some cases, experiment!

and third,  in the smart material editor, you also have "edge scattering", which can be filtered with a texture, or noise. this one, combined with 'contrast' and 'degree', can give interesting variations.

that's the basics, I'd say, but they already offer subtle range of options, depending of what you're trying to get. After that, smart marterial layering, masking, etc, extent the possibilities even more.

Edited by Percevan

Thank you all for your feedback, @Percevan Ive worked with changing the edge scatter / cavity modulator to .100 to tighten the effect, however the spec seems un affected and its controlled by the curvature map itself, in my prior tests ive tried changing the contrast  of the curvature but i get horrible artifacts and even less control.

Here's another image a WIP this time, Also took the time to manualy uv (did i mention the 3d coat uv tools are amazing!!!) the HP stock (wood bits) to ensure consistency, I'm happy with the results, sure makes a big diffence IMO.

mk4v3a.jpg

Edited by tkaza
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...